Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    keeping players long ater they should have gotten rid of them because they were fan favourites (like Wendell Clark).
    You're kidding right?

Nevermind I don't want to throw this thread off topic. Despite how outlandish what you said is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    not saying that either.......I just think there's people who don't understand the sport in the higher levels of our club......

for someone who is supposed to have such extreme knowledge of MLS, I don't understand how it would take Mo 5 years to build a winner.....he should have a head start IMO......

What are you basing this on? I'm just curious. The only other team I've seen start from scratch is San Jose. I wasn't following the league when RSL started, but they aren't champions yet.

Still, I think TFC should be closer to the top than it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you basing this on? I'm just curious. The only other team I've seen start from scratch is San Jose. I wasn't following the league when RSL started, but they aren't champions yet.

Basing what on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My biggest fear with TFC was that it would turn into the Leafs, getting rid of good players because for some reason the fans turned against them (like Larry Murphy) and keeping players long ater they should have gotten rid of them because they were fan favourites (like Wendell Clark).
    Sadly, a lot of TFC fans are Leaf fans as well. So don't be surprise you start seeing this in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My biggest fear with TFC was that it would turn into the Leafs, getting rid of good players because for some reason the fans turned against them (like Larry Murphy) and keeping players long ater they should have gotten rid of them because they were fan favourites (like Wendell Clark).
    The leafs traded Wendel Clark after his best season (46 goals) when they realized that his body was starting to wear out. They traded him for a player 5 years younger (some guy named Mats Sundin) in one of the best trades in leaf history. FYI

Understand your point but both are terrible examples; Larry Murphy was also well past his prime when they acquired and traded him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is where a 3rd year team should be fighting for a playoff spot, and struggling to do so, expecting a young franchise to be anywhere near higher then we are with the limited talent on the team is just wrong.
    next season will be the one where we start climbing the league tables,
    not this one..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KShep121 View Post
    The leafs traded Wendel Clark after his best season (46 goals) when they realized that his body was starting to wear out. They traded him for a player 5 years younger (some guy named Mats Sundin) in one of the best trades in leaf history. FYI

Understand your point but both are terrible examples; Larry Murphy was also well past his prime when they acquired and traded him.
    Larry Murphy was used in a wrong way........It wasn't a bad move, aquiring him. Just crap with how they used him as a player

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is one ex Leaf who reminds me a bit of Dichio in terms of his relationship with the fans:

Eddie Shack.

The oldtimers on here will remember the chants of "We want Shack" at the Gardens, and the way the crowd roared when he stepped on the ice, even if the Leafs were losing 8-0

We're talking 35 or 38 years ago. Bad Leaf teams. Great memories though.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-04-2009 at 03:00 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha I don't go back that far but do remember "We want Smith" chants in the mid 80s. And that was a BAD team!
    Last edited by spark; 09-04-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Mo We Trust.

You guys are too impatient. We have to wait for his 5 + x year plan to come to a conclusion before forming an opinion about him ... clearly he knows what he is doing ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    In Mo We Trust.
    you know that if it is repeated enough it is usually the kiss of death

Better order your In Mo We Trust scarves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    TFC is where a 3rd year team should be fighting for a playoff spot, and struggling to do so, expecting a young franchise to be anywhere near higher then we are with the limited talent on the team is just wrong.
    next season will be the one where we start climbing the league tables,
    not this one..
    Seattle and Chivas USA would like to have a word with you.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    Seattle and Chivas USA would like to have a word with you.

but Seattle is not the same kind of expasnion team that TFC was..they has years of USL experience to count on in building their MLS franchise.
    TFC had to start from scratch. Seattle is now starting to fall back to earth a bit, Chivas as well after their good start. Even Vancouver will have a big jump on us being around for awhile before MLS entry? This is where MLS should set a rule for any clubs entering from USL they can bring up 3 players from that league the rest have to be drafted or traded for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS is a league where a team can make the MLS Cup like the Shit Bulls and manage to have a clusterfuck the year after.

Don't act like it's impossible. This is a league of parity and expansion teams, if run well, will ALWAYS have a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I question how this has anything to do with TFC? We use less older players and more young guys? What does this have to do with ANYTHING?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS is a league where a team can make the MLS Cup like the Shit Bulls and manage to have a clusterfuck the year after.

Don't act like it's impossible. This is a league of parity and expansion teams, if run well, will ALWAYS have a shot.
    You're feeding the troll.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so you saying Philadelphia should win the league next year followed by Vancouver the year later? Not likely i hope these two side suffer the same growing pains TFC has had to go through. Nothing is impossible, somethings take time though,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet mother of fuck I concede. My brain has had enough of this shit.

In other news: JDG MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the guy is a legend.
    but after he retires, what is he suppose to do here?
    dj at halftime?

I think tfc should keep him on somehow,
    but as what? can he coach?

maybe going to austin and learning from a friend makes complete sense....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billygrieveuk View Post
    I know the guy is a legend.
    but after he retires, what is he suppose to do here?
    dj at halftime?

I think tfc should keep him on somehow,
    but as what? can he coach?

maybe going to austin and learning from a friend makes complete sense....
    TFC needs an U-21 team in the USL, make DD the manager. this team would give the academy players something to shoot for and give more
    younger Canadian players a chance to play competitive football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Dichio should get coaching gig with academy, but with that being some you guys are really on his Danny Dichio and should really consider giving him some room to put his shorts on for next game.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Danny Dichio saw his first action in several games, but like Ali Gerba who also came on in the second half, he made no impact. There's no big secret regarding Dichio by the way. What you might have been hearing about a rift between Dichio and Cummins, or Cummins being told not to play him is utter garbage. There is no sinister consipracy against Danny Dichio."

It's ok, hard hitting journalist Gerry Dobson says it's all utter garbage, move along, nothing to see here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KShep121 View Post

I was talking about bringing Clark back at the end of his career. Thefirst trade was a good onw, yes, but bringing him back because the fans demandedit wasn't. Like the Leafs brought Gilmour back at the end of his career. Fan favourites, sure, but they shouldn't have been brought back.

And when Murphy left the Leafs we had to watch him win the Cup with Detroit - twice.

This is what I mean. The Leafs seem to let fans make personel decisions - often terrible ones.

Fans think with their hearts and that's great for fans, but management shouldn't.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    "Danny Dichio saw his first action in several games, but like Ali Gerba who also came on in the second half, he made no impact. There's no big secret regarding Dichio by the way. What you might have been hearing about a rift between Dichio and Cummins, or Cummins being told not to play him is utter garbage. There is no sinister consipracy against Danny Dichio."

It's ok, hard hitting journalist Gerry Dobson says it's all utter garbage, move along, nothing to see here.

He could be right? if there was a rift between Cummins and Dichio, DD would not have seen anymore playing time this year..im sure there is
    a bit more to it then what Gerry Dobson thinks. i just dont thinks its a big to do as a certain cbc journalist? stirred up and refused to report on.
    A journalist who has a story goes with it and doesnt hide behind it,
    he doesnt work for TFC thus cant be fired, so if he has a story why not spill it he has nothing to lose IF there is a story..but his credibility will be shot to hell if at the end of this, if the story he said was big, but turns out to be nothing at all. It was reported on the game last night that DD
    wifes is expecting, could this be why he hast been playing waiting for the arrival of the newest Dichio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC needs an U-21 team in the USL, make DD the manager. this team would give the academy players something to shoot for and give more
    younger Canadian players a chance to play competitive football.
    TFC can't put together an MLS team that can beat USL teams, but yet somehow, somehow, you think TFC can put together a U-21 team that can compete with USL teams? Dude, you make me laugh more and more everyday.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    TFC can't put together an MLS team that can beat USL teams, but yet somehow, somehow, you think TFC can put together a U-21 team that can compete with USL teams? Dude, you make me laugh more and more everyday.

we got to have a place for youn canadians to go..i didnt say they would be competitive in USL right off its just for devolpment long term. and really did you think TFC was going to knock out Puerto Rico? now that makes me laugh..a team that made it to the ccl semis??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He could be right? if there was a rift between Cummins and Dichio, DD would not have seen anymore playing time this year..im sure there is
    a bit more to it then what Gerry Dobson thinks. i just dont thinks its a big to do as a certain cbc journalist?
    ---edit--
    Well, if there is a rift between DD and CC, they do a very good job of hiding it. They are both saying all the correct things to the point of DD referring to CC seemingly affectionately as "Chrissy" in yesterday's post-match video.

What will tell the tale is what happens to Dichio and whether or not there is a place for him in the organization once he hangs up the boots at the end of the season. If he's off to Texas to play/coach USL, it will be safe to assume that something has gone wrong here behind the scenes.

Personally, I think Dichio may be here in Toronto for a long time to come. I hope so anyway.

I'm staying away from those other comments.
    Last edited by Blizzard; 09-06-2009 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dobson is practically a house organ for the clubs.

I'll never forget how he fell all over himself to congratulate Saputo on his public slagging of Garber when he pulled the Montreal MLS expansion bid. There was nobody else in the entire universe who saw it as anything other than a fiasco for Montreal soccer fans, but good old Gerry could be counted on to tow the line.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just curious is the FO trying to alienate all the supporters as fast as possible? I mean, crap product on the field and shafting beloved personalities? I'm really confused as to what Mo and the FO are thinking this year.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Well, if there is a rift between DD and CC, they do a very good job of hiding it. They are both saying all the correct things to the point of DD referring to CC seemingly affectionately as "Chrissy" in yesterday's post-match video.

What will tell the tale is what happens to Dichio and whether or not there is a place for him in the organization once he hangs up the boots at the end of the season. If he's off to Texas to play/coach USL, it will be safe to assume that something has gone wrong here behind the scenes.

Personally, I think Dichio may be here in Toronto for a long time to come. I hope so anyway.

I'm staying away from those other comments.
    i think DD will be here for a while too, either with the academy or as an
    a asst with the first team...Hell maybe even Canadian national team boss too? ok maybe thats a stretch .