Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1834
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They're pursuing several players. I have no idea how far they've gotten on any but the two mentioned.

I'm only guessing on Choiniere because he aptly fits the "surprise" label (Montreal, all-star, CMNT player) and because he's a free agent at the end of this year and told them he wants a move.
    choiniere would be an incredible signing.

great player, good age, wouldnt be expensive and would piss off a ton of mtl fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would imagine the surprise player must be at least a Richie level signing if they are labeling it like that. One can hope.

I'm going to hold judgement on the CB cause most of them have not worked out so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone think Jebbison might be worth a crack? His numbers in England haven't been very impressive and he had that stupid red card in the playoff game a couple of years ago. But he's always looked pacy and dangerous, and he's playing against a different beast there tactically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone think Jebbison might be worth a crack? His numbers in England haven't been very impressive and he had that stupid red card in the playoff game a couple of years ago. But he's always looked pacy and dangerous, and he's playing against a different beast there tactically.
    He just transferred to Bournemouth yesterday.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/a...s/cx92v8gyrqgo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I would imagine the surprise player must be at least a Richie level signing if they are labeling it like that. One can hope.

I'm going to hold judgement on the CB cause most of them have not worked out so far.
    A surprise player strikes me as either a proven MLS guy returning to the league or a CMNT player. Outside chance of a big name trade in league for say a Jordan Morris kind of guy.

Got a feeling atleast one of the two players coming in will be domestic due to our lack of international spots available currently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe a eustaquio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    maybe a eustaquio?
    There would need to be a lot of leg work done to get the GAM to buy down Richie in order to open up the 3rd DP spot. Eustaquio would require a transfer fee and a DP salary, so unless Porto is willing to loan him here, that is a bit of a pipe dream until January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

choiniere has 2 goals (1 pen) and 1 assist this season in 15 games. Not going to change our fortune

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    choiniere has 2 goals (1 pen) and 1 assist this season in 15 games. Not going to change our fortune
    i agree,it smells like another MAK trade,jus bring in the cb a mid playmaker a striker and by some miracle move the italians at least LI.hopefully pelly will give the go ahead for rosted and patretta buyouts
    Last edited by reggie; 07-11-2024 at 07:47 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm told we have signed a "really good" center back (I assume that means starter) and another player who will be a "surprise" is expected to sign next week. I do wonder if the latter is Choniere, after everything in Montreal.
    could the "surprise" be via trade with an american MLS team?

their window doesn't open til next week, could explain timing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    could the "surprise" be via trade with an american MLS team?

their window doesn't open til next week, could explain timing
    Gonna complain a lot on here when it turns out to be Liam Fraser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better not be El Titan/Salcedo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    There would need to be a lot of leg work done to get the GAM to buy down Richie in order to open up the 3rd DP spot. Eustaquio would require a transfer fee and a DP salary, so unless Porto is willing to loan him here, that is a bit of a pipe dream until January.
    He may be had for a lot less than you think. About half of from Porto’s under contract transfers involve ‘no transfer fees’ other than basic transaction/certificate costs. He is not a DP. Making USD480K at Porto. High TAM; under/at a USD million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    He may be had for a lot less than you think. About half of from Porto’s under contract transfers involve ‘no transfer fees’ other than basic transaction/certificate costs. He is not a DP. Making USD480K at Porto. High TAM; under/at a USD million.
    He is 27 and has a contract until 27. He is worth way too much to be a tam player. TM has him at 11 mill, maybe he could be had for half of that at this point but even that seems unlikely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna complain a lot on here when it turns out to be Liam Fraser.
    I would take him in a heartbeat but hes currently injured so it seems unlikely.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fraser is bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    fraser is bad
    He'd do nothing to improve us. Just not dynamic enough. And really not very good. He's supposed to be a great passer but he has one assist in 80 lifetime MLS games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I would take him in a heartbeat but hes currently injured so it seems unlikely.
    Coello is much better than Fraser and we mostly want him to be moved on or reduced to a bench option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'd do nothing to improve us. Just not dynamic enough. And really not very good. He's supposed to be a great passer but he has one assist in 80 lifetime MLS games.
    He reminds me of Coello. His passes are pretty, but he lacks the football intelligence to have reasonable pass selection, which is far more important. He can chip slow, plodding but pretty 30 yard passes all day but he's never making those Vasquez style 5 yard cut a defence wide open passes that genuinely good passers make.

Passing is a means to an end, and they both have no end to their means. To me, neither is a good passer. I wouldn't touch Fraser whatsoever, agree he'd add very little to our roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We play Kosi Thompson a decent amount.... Fraser would def be an upgrade.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fraser is not a good player, and kosi is only playing bc coello is injured, oso at the copa, and longstaff had a niggle.

he's 5th choice and won't be here past this december at latest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    We play Kosi Thompson a decent amount.... Fraser would def be an upgrade.
    That's not enough - not by a long shot. This is a salary cap league and we need to stop thinking like that. 'Better than what we have' is not the equation. The equation is cap hit vs quality, stacked up against the entire market of players we could bring in at a similar cap hit, stacked up against where our roster needs the spend.

If we brought in players on the basis of 'better than some of the dross we have' we'd be handing out contracts to people as they walked into BMO field at this stage

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    That's not enough - not by a long shot. This is a salary cap league and we need to stop thinking like that. 'Better than what we have' is not the equation. The equation is cap hit vs quality, stacked up against the entire market of players we could bring in at a similar cap hit, stacked up against where our roster needs the spend.

If we brought in players on the basis of 'better than some of the dross we have' we'd be handing out contracts to people as they walked into BMO field at this stage
    he also makes more than 2X as much as kosi...who is currently the 5th choice CM (likely 6th choice after this window), and also likely won't be here after this window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    That's really all he makes?

I guess coming to MLS at 2-3x that salary with a still guaranteed spot on the national team wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

We currently can't pay the transfer fee though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's really all he makes?

I guess coming to MLS at 2-3x that salary with a still guaranteed spot on the national team wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

We currently can't pay the transfer fee though.
    He seemed to have lost his spot toward the end of last season too. May be open to a move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unless porto loan us eustaquio with obligation to buy in january, then there's no chance this happens now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, our window opens a week earlier but also closes a week earlier than the rest of MLS. Be a nice day to announce a signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, our window opens a week earlier but also closes a week earlier than the rest of MLS. Be a nice day to announce a signing.
    Friday is perceived (incorrectly) to be a bad day for announcing signings (it's old logic, from the days of old media, and they just haven't caught up yet to the fact that the "bad news on Friday, good news on Monday" rule no longer applies due to segmented media).

The belief is that news outlets give short shrift to news on Friday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal announced a signing on X just now.