Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ochos View Post
    Love this post. It's disheartening as a hardcore fan to know that we'll be losing many of our brethren, but ultimately I hope it forces MLSE to consider several things:

- tickets outside of the south end are overpriced

- they've delivered a crap product for years. The SG's made this team/atmosphere what it is

- MLSE and the FO will have to work extremely hard to win back fans, and frankly they should. They owe us their jobs
    They're overpriced in the South end too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T0R0NT0 FC View Post
    I'm not renewing. When people are giving away tickets for games, why would I give MLSE all my money up front? I'll just pick up a match here and there as I want, there are always plenty of tickets available.
    I feel the same way, plenty of tickets available on game day's. Not renewing either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The decision to renew or not to renew is a personal one. What is accomplished by announcing it publicly?

Not accusing, just wondering.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about non-renewers just keep it to their DAMNED selves?
    how about that?!! huh? wouldnt that rock?

Next we'll have a slew of "I hate this group, I am leaving, and this is why" threads. . . .
    circa 2007-08
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post

Next we'll have a slew of "I hate this group, I am leaving, and this is why" threads. . . .
    circa 2007-08
    In fairness, it's as legitimate a thread as the "I am renewing because..." thread, and rgardless it's a legitimate topic given what the fans have been through with ownership the last few weeks (and years!). ML$E called a series of town hall meetings because renewals were bad because the team has been run like shit while the prices keep rising. Then they announced a prize freeze, a promise to only include league and NCC games going forward and a free ticket to the home opener. They did that to get more people to renew. Has it worked? This thread will give you an insight into that. It's about as hot a topic as there is right now. And this is a forum, where people express differing views on the same subject, and the thread seems to be reasoned rather than ranted.

But yeah, bummer that ML$E has driven away inaugural fans, people who bought season tickets before it became the "cool" thing to do, just because they wanted to see some football in their home town. That really stinks in fact.
    Last edited by Hitcho; 10-25-2010 at 08:56 PM.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good replies everyone and I can handle if some people don't like when threads like this start, but I just think it fosters good discussion and believe you me, MLSE is reading.

Some good points here, but wanted to address the one about the GO Train and the "too bad so sad if you decided to live in the suburbs".

Fact is, if it isn't for the suburbs, there wouldn't be the support at the games, period. That is where a large portion of the fans are coming from.

Also, while I agree that MLSE do not run public transit, I do believe they have some influence in terms of negotiating a post game train for their fans. I do hold MLSE responsible for not making more of a public effort in this regard because it is their fans, and their game day experience that they are responsible, and making it as easy as possible to get to and from the game is MLSE's responsibility, if they want to continue having fans come to the games.

Thats how I feel about it anyways. Not all of us have the luxury of going to a bar before and after the game when we all have different levels of responsibilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post

circa 2007-08
    ok I'll make the thread but 1st I have to make a " I hate technorgasm"

Gixmo

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro118 View Post
    Please quote one comment that derides anyone for not renewing.

For the bolded part, why are you justifying to a message board your personal financial decisions? Nobody is saying you're a bad supporter.
    Jeffro.. I actually did qoute if you go back through the thread, I used the same wording. You'll find it if you look hard enough.

As for why, It has nothing to do with my personal financial situation, it's a matter of principle. On top of that, the thread title is 'Here's why'.. That's why..

So what's your problem? I answered the thread question, with my own personal situation, Hence the point of the thread...

The decision to renew is down to each individual person, for whatever reason. What we shouldn't be doing is poking our fellow members who decided to renew, for whatever reason. That's my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro118 View Post
    Meh, looked that up.... you're going to be upset because someone else defines "support" differently than you? It clearly hurt your feelings if you're still talking about it now. What if we just say there are different ways to support, feel better?

Wow, Nevermind..

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    In fairness, it's as legitimate a thread as the "I am renewing because..." thread, and rgardless it's a legitimate topic given what the fans have been through with ownership the last few weeks (and years!). ML$E called a series of town hall meetings because renewals were bad because the team has been run like shit while the prices keep rising. Then they announced a prize freeze, a promise to only include league and NCC games going forward and a free ticket to the home opener. They did that to get more people to renew. Has it worked? This thread will give you an insight into that. It's about as hot a topic as there is right now. And this is a forum, where people express differing views on the same subject, and the thread seems to be reasoned rather than ranted.

But yeah, bummer that ML$E has driven away inaugural fans, people who bought season tickets before it became the "cool" thing to do, just because they wanted to see some football in their home town. That really stinks in fact.
    Another reasonable response, Let's not slag the logic for being 'what it is'.. It does stink... Well said
    Last edited by Gixmo; 10-25-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    Yep, that's the truth of the matter.

Anselmi talks shit about supply and demand.........has Anselmi checked the tv ratings? There is no demand to watch this product on tv. Many people, myself included, bought season tickets the first week they went on sale. I thought maybe there would be 10 000 people per game max!!

I bought tickets because I want to support soccer in Canada. Just like I went to CMNT games at Varsity way before TFC. Just like my dad who took me to Blizzard games as a boy. It is people like me that MLSE is driving away.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

KD.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    ok I'll make the thread but 1st I have to make a " I hate technorgasm"
    Leave the relegated dude alone kev!
    It's not been a good year for any red team.
    Except, . . . .
    KD.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    The decision to renew or not to renew is a personal one. What is accomplished by announcing it publicly?

Not accusing, just wondering.
    Totally agree J.
    KD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With regard to the Go situation, if they started the game at X:45 wouldn't that allow both directions of the Go to have a reasonable waiting period?

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not renewing.

It was hard decision to make, but in the end it was the right one for me. To be honest, I didn't go to a single game this season and only made it out to a handful in 2009. The cost just didn't add up to the benefits for me and I'm not hopeful with regards to the overall direction of the club to be perfectly honest.

So that's that. Maybe as it turns out I'm not a great supporter after all? Personally speaking, though, when you have a kid things kinda get re-prioritized. I'm still likely to attend a few away matches and watch the games on TV. There's a new bar that opened up here in Oshawa that will be showing GOLTV, so I'll likely just hit it up.

Trust me, but dropping my tickets was one of the last things I've ever wanted to do, but it just made sense for me financially and in terms of available spare time.

Hard to argue with that.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    Yep, that's the truth of the matter.

Anselmi talks shit about supply and demand.........has Anselmi checked the tv ratings? There is no demand to watch this product on tv. Many people, myself included, bought season tickets the first week they went on sale. I thought maybe there would be 10 000 people per game max!!

I bought tickets because I want to support soccer in Canada. Just like I went to CMNT games at Varsity way before TFC. Just like my dad who took me to Blizzard games as a boy. It is people like me that MLSE is driving away.
    Everything else you said aside - what does supply and demand of tickets have to do with television ratings?

The simple principle of supply and demand has applied to their television rights as well, which is why MLSE end up broadcasting a bunch of TFC games on an obscure subscription only MLSE-owned cable channel.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I'm not renewing.

It was hard decision to make, but in the end it was the right one for me. To be honest, I didn't go to a single game this season and only made it out to a handful in 2009. The cost just didn't add up to the benefits for me and I'm not hopeful with regards to the overall direction of the club to be perfectly honest.

So that's that. Maybe as it turns out I'm not a great supporter after all? Personally speaking, though, when you have a kid things kinda get re-prioritized. I'm still likely to attend a few away matches and watch the games on TV. There's a new bar that opened up here in Oshawa that will be showing GOLTV, so I'll likely just hit it up.

Trust me, but dropping my tickets was one of the last things I've ever wanted to do, but it just made sense for me financially and in terms of available spare time.

Hard to argue with that.

And this was a difficult decision for you? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    With regard to the Go situation, if they started the game at X:45 wouldn't that allow both directions of the Go to have a reasonable waiting period?
    no, the westbound train comes at :49... that wouldn't make a difference for those going west.
    games are usually about 2 hours or so in total time. So it'd be tough to make it out and through the tunnel in 4 minutes.

BTW, looking at the current GO schedules for weekends, the best times for games would be :30 starts.

The westbound GO leaves at :49 and the eastbound GO leaves at the top of the hour.

It would be tight for westbounders, but doable, to get out of the stadium by the :49. No problem for eastbounders.
    Last edited by rocker; 10-26-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Everything else you said aside - what does supply and demand of tickets have to do with television ratings?

The simple principle of supply and demand has applied to their television rights as well, which is why MLSE end up broadcasting a bunch of TFC games on an obscure subscription only MLSE-owned cable channel.

- Scott
    The tv ratings show that the number of people interested in the overall product is very low. The tv ratings, to some degree, represents potential season ticket buyers. If this is the case........there are not many potential buyers.

Season tickets were sold out last year, however, if many people bail on their tickets......I don't think there will be very many people lining up for to buy the expensive seats at BMO Field.

This is why I think Anselmi over-estimates demand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T0R0NT0 FC View Post
    I'm not renewing. When people are giving away tickets for games, why would I give MLSE all my money up front? I'll just pick up a match here and there as I want, there are always plenty of tickets available.
    My sentiments exactly...we dropped our pair in 108...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gixmo View Post
    Jeffro.. I actually did qoute if you go back through the thread, I used the same wording. You'll find it if you look hard enough.

As for why, It has nothing to do with my personal financial situation, it's a matter of principle. On top of that, the thread title is 'Here's why'.. That's why..

So what's your problem? I answered the thread question, with my own personal situation, Hence the point of the thread...
    I simply responded to your statement : does that make me a bad supporter? Or Financially conscious. Why do you need to justify to any one? I also dropped tickets for my own reasons. I don't feel the need to justify that to anyone, and I don't feel like anybody here is deriding me for that decision

You're right it's a "here is why thread" so I apologize, I just really hate the who's a better supporter debate: "You renewed tickets which supports mlse, so you're not a real supporter." or "you didn't renew, you're giving up on the team, you're not a real supporter."

Sad day when so many TFC originals had to drop their tickets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's having that debate in this thread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone has an option to renew or to not renew, but as one poster commented, those whom don't renew, will be missed at BMO and hopefully we will see them again sometime. I myself did renew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    and this one does present listed points, which is WAY better than just the simple "fuck those guys" posts.

Thats funny because I prefer the "fuck those guys" posts, as for me it is very simply this management have given me no reason to believe that they will ever produce a proper footy club. That is the bottom line for me, I am tiered of being lied to and being asked to believe bullshit. I had enough.

[Having said that I am not renewing my 104s, but when I get less angry and I see who they are hireing I may get some prawns, love the view up there- however I am in no rush to do so] So for know FUCK THOSE GUYS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeffro118, I acctualy agree, it is hard to say what the right course of action is for supporters at this point. I clearly belive that it is not renewing trying to bring MLSE to understand, that we are serious, but there is validity to the argument that we should continue for a LITTLE longer.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superstar1976 View Post
    Fact is, if it isn't for the suburbs, there wouldn't be the support at the games, period. That is where a large portion of the fans are coming from.
    This is true, and you can tell by how packed the trains are and how many people arrive and leave based on the GO Train timetable.

In fairness to MLSE, it's CN who control the lines I think, not even GO, and I doubt that MLSE would have much pull over CN for 15 Saturday afternoons a year. Also, even if they did put on extra trains, where's the extra revenue for them? Consider:

- thousands of people are already using the existing train service and there's no proof that numbers would go up significantly if another train was scheduled, just hypothesis;

- adding an extra train won't get any more people inside BMO Field, the number of fans at the game is finite, so doubling the train service cannot double the revenue, it will only split existing revenue between two trains, unless some drivers take the additional train because that's the only additional market to tap into;

- anyone with a monthly pass (there are lots of people with these in the suburbs) would get a free extra train with no additional money for GO/CN;

- many other people would free ride on the basis that it's hard to get inspectors through crowded trains before people have hopped off without paying for a ticket;

- if significantly more people take the train and traffic and parking congestion eases as a result, then some current train users may take advantage of that and drive to games instead of taking the train; and

- if you do it for TFC then Leaf, Raptor and Jays fans will want the same thing, and is CN really going to dramatically alter its timetables for TO sports fans, or could it even manage that much change even if it wanted to?

I don't think we'll see any significant change to the GO trains in the near future. My guess is they'll only put on extra trains if overcrowding becomes such an issue that it's a health and safety risk, because I just cannot see the extra revenue for CN/GO for doing this.
    Last edited by Hitcho; 10-26-2010 at 03:09 PM.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Beirne was on the TFC chat saying:

Renewals are done, a handful still coming in today but for all intents and purposes they're done. We're projecting low 80s from a percentage basis.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you imagine what it would have been had they done nothing (which appeared to be the case until people started speaking up?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So that's what - about 3,200 extra season tickets available? Plus another 2,000 from the North End? Looks like that waiting list is going to get tested pretty well.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post

Renewals are done, a handful still coming in today but for all intents and purposes they're done. We're projecting low 80s from a percentage basis.
    Interesting. Sounds like they have allowed people to renew past the deadline. I guess they are desperate.

With a renewal rate of 80% I wonder if they can sell out the MLS Cup.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post

Ahem.

I fucking called it.

35%. Hah.