Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Or from the other side, why would Mariner expect him to accept him to accept a new system? (I still think MLSE feel DeRo is a local hero and good for marketing and are forcing him on the new management...)
    I seriously doubt that Tom Anselmi or any other MLSE executives would force the new regime to keep any incumbent players, especially DeRo. If DeRo stays, it's because Winter and Mariner feel he can contribute within the parameters of their desired style of football...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I seriously doubt Tom Anselmi or any other MLSE executives would force the new regime to keep any incumbent players, especially DeRo. If DeRo stays, it's because Winter and Mariner feel he can contribute within their desired style of football...

Why not, they forced them to keep all kinds of coaches and assistant managers. If they thought a player could sell a few tickets....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Why not, they forced them to keep all kinds of coaches and assistant managers. If they thought a player could sell a few tickets....
    What did you expect, for the organization to be completely cleaned out? Obviously there was bound to be some continuity but I'm sure Winter and Mariner are firmly in charge of all player personnel decisions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did you expect, for the organization to be completely cleaned out
    Whole organization? No
    Everyone involved in the senior team? Yup

How does TFC benefit (in terms of on field product) by making the new guys keep Brennan, Dichio, Cochrane, Dasovic etc?

Grooming future gms and coaches? Let them learn the trade elsewhere.

I want no remnants of the clusterfuck that was TFC 2007-2010.

I dont care about fan faves or bullshit walls of honour.

How does keeping those guys make the team better?

They are leftovers of a losing culture.

Not to mention that their pressence allows shit disturber players an unhealthy outlet for their shit disturbing ways.

If there are shit disturbers in this squad i dont want them to have a support network. They have to answer to Winter and listen to winter.

Keeping buddies and ex teammates around is a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by v00d00daddy; 01-21-2011 at 04:16 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Whole organization? No
    Everyone involved in the senior team? Yup

How does TFC benefit (in terms of on field product) by making the new guys keep Brennan, Dichio, Cochrane, Dasovic etc?

Grooming future gms and coaches? Let them learn the trade elsewhere.

I want no remnants of the clusterfuck that was TFC 2007-2010.

I dont care about fan faves or bullshit walls of honour.

How does keeping those guys make the team better?

They are leftovers of a losing culture.

Not to mention that their pressence allows shit disturber players an unhealthy outlet for their shit disturbing ways.

If there are shit disturbers in this squad i dont want them to have a support network. They have to answer to Winter and listen to winter.

Keeping buddies and ex teammates around is a recipe for disaster.
    clearly you're an expert, knowing exactly how much influence each of the back staff had on the team.

while we're at it, let's get rid of Frei, Attakora, Cann and whoever performed well enough, because they were part of the 'old regime'
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    clearly you're an expert, knowing exactly how much influence each of the back staff had on the team.

while we're at it, let's get rid of Frei, Attakora, Cann and whoever performed well enough, because they were part of the 'old regime'
    players and management are two very different things. TFC cleaned out much of the management but left behind apprentices for no good reason.

Give me some reasons why this team needs Brennan and Dichio and Dasovic bearing in mind that we have Winter, DeKlerk and Mariner.

The old bits are dead wood. They serve little purpose.

I await your expert analysis on the benefits of keeping them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

players and management are two very different things. TFC cleaned out much of the management but left behind apprentices for no good reason.

Give me some reasons why this team needs Brennan and Dichio and Dasovic bearing in mind that we have Winter, DeKlerk and Mariner.

I'm hoping and assuming Winter has a free hand, and isn't being encumbered by Anselmi.

I'm sure over a bit of time, roles will be clearly defined, (they may already have been, for all we know) and yes, probably one or two will be gone.

On the other hand, no sense dropping everyone before he's had an opportunity to determine which guys he wants to work with going forward.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i misunderstood the initial post i quoted, thinking you wanted to get rid of everyone, incl players

anyways

there is a reason why every team keeps some of the old staff around. because the old staff knows the club structure, how things have been running, give feedback on current players, etc.
    or else you'd be throwing Winter and co into the deep end and tell them to start swimming

you don't know exactly what the job of each staff was, and whether they deserve to be fired or no. example. fire Mike Toshack? as far as we know, he's only involved in GK training, and arguably, GK has been TFC's strongest position every year.
    we don't know what Dichio does, but he seems to be more involved in TFC academy, and does some technical training with senior team. just how much input does he have on tactics? which I believe is done mostly by head coach and first assistant coach
    or the physio? fire him too?

point is, we don't know enough about each staff's job to evaluate whether each staff should be fired. all you have is that because they were part of previous regime, they should be fired. which is like some sort of Stalinist purge lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seriously doubt that Tom Anselmi or any other MLSE executives would force the new regime to keep any incumbent players, especially DeRo. If DeRo stays, it's because Winter and Mariner feel he can contribute within the parameters of their desired style of football...

I'd have to agree with this. If Winter feels DeRo does not fit, I think he will make sure DeRo will no longer be here. If DeRo is kept on, it's because he wants him here.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I'd have to agree with this. If Winter feels DeRo does not fit, I think he will make sure DeRo will no longer be here. If DeRo is kept on, it's because he wants him here.
    ... or because no one else wants him on the trade market as a DP or as a contracted player seeking DP status

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ... or because no one else wants him on the trade market as a DP or as a contracted player seeking DP status
    DeRo is not untradeable as much as it fits your point of view. There are actually several teams that I know would like to have him on their roster. You can be sure that if DeRo plays for TFC this year it is not because Winter feels stuck with him. He has many options. You guys just can't accept that he is a coveted player in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo is not untradeable as much as it fits your point of view. There are actually several teams that I know would like to have him on their roster. You can be sure that if DeRo plays for TFC this year it is not because Winter feels stuck with him. He has many options. You guys just can't accept that he is a coveted player in this league.
    I hate to admit this but Roogsy is correct, for some teams out there DeRo is coveted, but not enough to pay for him.

If you read other team's message boards they are pretty evenly split on their desire to have DeRo on their team.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

These "several teams you know of" are they liking him on their roster as a DP or at his current contract.

Count me in as one of those that would like him at his current contract. Count me out if we have to risk the DP slot on him.

If you are speaking openly about teams having interest in him as a DP, I'd be very curious to see your definition of "several"

Only LA, Seattle, Toronto, Chicago, Real Salt Lake, KC, DC and NY currently make use of the DP slot. 8 teams.

Exclude Toronto and we are down to 7. LA and Seattle already have 3 DPs. Down to 5 now.

You'd really have to wonder whether KC would ever pony up the cash for 2. Down to 4?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These "several teams you know of" are they liking him on their roster as a DP or at his current contract.

Count me in as one of those that would like him at his current contract. Count me out if we have to risk the DP slot on him.

If you are speaking openly about teams having interest in him as a DP, I'd be very curious to see your definition of "several"

Only LA, Seattle, Toronto, Chicago, Real Salt Lake, KC, DC and NY currently make use of the DP slot. 8 teams.

Exclude Toronto and we are down to 7. LA and Seattle already have 3 DPs. Down to 5 now.

You'd really have to wonder whether KC would ever pony up the cash for 2. Down to 4?
    Quite the assumption that the teams that haven't used the DP spot will never use it.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    Quite the assumption that the teams that haven't used the DP spot will never use it.
    Not that much of an assumption when only 3 MLS teams turn a profit on an annual basis.

They are not as emotionally "scarred" by his actions as you seem to be so they will likely make a decision based on objective points of view instead of emotional reactions.

So if Toronto does not want to keep him, they really don't have to.
    Emotionally scarred? Heh, that's kind of funny. One of us is rarely, if ever, going to view DeRo's stats when he leaves, the other... well, I can't wait to read your thread on his first goal in another jersey. Hopefully, he can net one between June 5 and August 21st for his new club, you know, and make some kind of contribution

Objective points? You mean like age, attitude, future contribution, other available DPs, tactical tendencies as they relate to the team's system OR do you mean % contributions to goals for over a 2 year span?

Yeah, I hope they make their decision on those objective factors just like we should be.
    Last edited by Pookie; 01-22-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are so many variations of DPs and non-DP plus allocation and contract extensions at max salaries etc etc that you picking out a single possible way to renegotiate DeRo's contract is short-sighted. Interest from other teams does not necessarily mean they don't have options themselves on how to settle the DeRo situation. And that isn't even considering the teams that may want to use their DP slot which unless you can prove there are NO DP slots left in MLS, really leaves a multitude of options for everyone to consider. Just because you wouldn't pay for DeRo does not mean others won't. They are not as emotionally "scarred" by his actions as you seem to be so they will likely make a decision based on objective points of view instead of emotional reactions.

So if Toronto does not want to keep him, they really don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which teams that "you know of"? Any evidence here? Before you even attempt an answer, is this one of those super-extra-secret bits of insider insight you seem to have but really never comes to light as being true or even existing?

I'm surprised this one didn't get the red font alert treatment.

"Coveted" players don't get dealt for Julius James. I know the man has two names but really, come on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or he can't get rid of him. We are talking about a player, albeit talented, who is on the south side of thirty on a guaranteed contract for beaucoup dollars (by MLS standards) who has a history of complaining about his wages. There is always the possibility to consider Roogsy that there might not b a big market for him in MLS. I could be wrong on this, but so could you.

TFC can't just release him as they eat his wage against he salary cap, hamstringing any chance of a serious rebuilding/reloading for 2011.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Or he can't get rid of him. We are talking about a player, albeit talented, who is on the south side of thirty on a guaranteed contract for beaucoup dollars (by MLS standards) who has a history of complaining about his wages. There is always the possibility to consider Roogsy that there might not b a big market for him in MLS. I could be wrong on this, but so could you.

TFC can't just release him as they eat his wage against he salary cap, hamstringing any chance of a serious rebuilding/reloading for 2011.

The whole salary? When did they pick up the option? Why did they pick up the option?

Would you make the same trade that got DeRo here in reverse? Julius James and a draft pick....

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    ...actually, if he is released prior to July 1st, his salary won't count against the cap. He'll get his money as it is guaranteed but the club wouldn't eat a cap hit too.

After July 1st, well we're screwed.

(A) WAIVERS
    Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players on guaranteed contracts waived on or after July 1 of any year, however, will continue to have their salary budget count against the team's salary budget and the team waiving the player will not receive a replacement except under the normal player acquisition mechanisms.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/regulations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...actually, if he is released prior to July 1st, his salary won't count against the cap. He'll get his money as it is guaranteed but the club wouldn't eat a cap hit too.

After July 1st, well we're screwed.

(A) WAIVERS
    Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players on guaranteed contracts waived on or after July 1 of any year, however, will continue to have their salary budget count against the team's salary budget and the team waiving the player will not receive a replacement except under the normal player acquisition mechanisms.

Thanks for that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(A) WAIVERS

You missed this big caveat at the top of the rules:

* The 2010 roster regulations are still being finalized by the MLS
    Competition Committee. The following information pertains to 2009 only and will be updated as soon as possible.

...so these regulations may not apply at all.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto