Page 75 of 87 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The problem comes when it's DeRo who has to cover so Santos can score.
    Total football doesn't work unless players cover for one another, period. The system will just break down if players play selfishly and even the most stubborn among is going to realize that really, really quickly.

When forced to play as a two-way mid at HOuston, DeRo adapted. He had Stuart Holden next to him, mind you, which makes things a little easier, and his goal count went down to six. But his assists went up. So it is possible to rein him in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Well, Kinnear had DeRo at the time when DeRo's ego wasn't so big. We'll see what kind of DeRo comes back, though I have a feeling that DeRo is going to be sulky for a while.

Though Winter is about the only coach who has BTDT to tell DeRo to STFU and play like a pro
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't locked yet? Annoying seeing it at the top everyday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    DeRo and club at odds over money since 2009. Dero tells club in off season that he may/will be going to Celtic. Club either does not know or screws up by not acknowledging it or letting lines of communication with player dry up. Paperwork is screwed up. DeRo trials in Glasgow. TFC says come home and publicly state he is part of the future of the club. Rumours of a possible new deal from Mariner leak out. He comes home. Fans are torn over DeRo. Many want him to get his cash. Others want him ridden out of town on a rail. Others want him stripped of the captain's armband. Silence from player and club since his return.
    Thank you kind sir.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm sorry, but i have to dispute this. We had a great "character" team in years one and for the most part year 2. But they simply didn't get it done. Character means nothing if you don't have the talent.
    Character only goes so far but it does make a difference. A team with character gets more time from fans than a bunch of players whining all the time.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 01-21-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only 25 more pages!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, let me chip in on this by pointing out that if we play DeRo and Plata wide, they can both play a similar role to David Ferreira, whom a lot of people would peg as undersized, but who has great technique both inside and wide.

I know the kid's only 18 and small, but he's quick, technical and has good vision.That could actually be a pretty dangerous wide tandem, although obviously we need more depth both upfront and in the mid.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

25 more pages huh? Maybe we need to get philosophical with the "Can Never Be Replaced Kid."

Could DeRo kick a ball so hard that even DeRo himself couldn't stop it?

Who is more likely to experience a decline in their skills with age, Jesus or DeRo?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'll stir the pot again

Why would we think that DeRo would accept a new system of play for long? He's always been drawn to that position that isn't quite striker and isn't quite midfield. Winter can tell him to play somewhere else but at this point I can't see him changing.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Well I'll stir the pot again

Why would we think that DeRo would accept a new system of play for long? He's always been drawn to that position that isn't quite striker and isn't quite midfield. Winter can tell him to play somewhere else but at this point I can't see him changing.
    Or from the other side, why would Mariner expect him to accept him to accept a new system? (I still think MLSE feel DeRo is a local hero and good for marketing and are forcing him on the new management...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Or from the other side, why would Mariner expect him to accept him to accept a new system? (I still think MLSE feel DeRo is a local hero and good for marketing and are forcing him on the new management...)
    I seriously doubt that Tom Anselmi or any other MLSE executives would force the new regime to keep any incumbent players, especially DeRo. If DeRo stays, it's because Winter and Mariner feel he can contribute within the parameters of their desired style of football...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I seriously doubt Tom Anselmi or any other MLSE executives would force the new regime to keep any incumbent players, especially DeRo. If DeRo stays, it's because Winter and Mariner feel he can contribute within their desired style of football...

Why not, they forced them to keep all kinds of coaches and assistant managers. If they thought a player could sell a few tickets....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seriously doubt that Tom Anselmi or any other MLSE executives would force the new regime to keep any incumbent players, especially DeRo. If DeRo stays, it's because Winter and Mariner feel he can contribute within the parameters of their desired style of football...

I'd have to agree with this. If Winter feels DeRo does not fit, I think he will make sure DeRo will no longer be here. If DeRo is kept on, it's because he wants him here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Why not, they forced them to keep all kinds of coaches and assistant managers. If they thought a player could sell a few tickets....
    What did you expect, for the organization to be completely cleaned out? Obviously there was bound to be some continuity but I'm sure Winter and Mariner are firmly in charge of all player personnel decisions...

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I'd have to agree with this. If Winter feels DeRo does not fit, I think he will make sure DeRo will no longer be here. If DeRo is kept on, it's because he wants him here.
    ... or because no one else wants him on the trade market as a DP or as a contracted player seeking DP status

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Or he can't get rid of him. We are talking about a player, albeit talented, who is on the south side of thirty on a guaranteed contract for beaucoup dollars (by MLS standards) who has a history of complaining about his wages. There is always the possibility to consider Roogsy that there might not b a big market for him in MLS. I could be wrong on this, but so could you.

TFC can't just release him as they eat his wage against he salary cap, hamstringing any chance of a serious rebuilding/reloading for 2011.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or he can't get rid of him. We are talking about a player, albeit talented, who is on the south side of thirty on a guaranteed contract for beaucoup dollars (by MLS standards) who has a history of complaining about his wages. There is always the possibility to consider Roogsy that there might not b a big market for him in MLS. I could be wrong on this, but so could you.

TFC can't just release him as they eat his wage against he salary cap, hamstringing any chance of a serious rebuilding/reloading for 2011.

The whole salary? When did they pick up the option? Why did they pick up the option?

Would you make the same trade that got DeRo here in reverse? Julius James and a draft pick....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did you expect, for the organization to be completely cleaned out
    Whole organization? No
    Everyone involved in the senior team? Yup

How does TFC benefit (in terms of on field product) by making the new guys keep Brennan, Dichio, Cochrane, Dasovic etc?

Grooming future gms and coaches? Let them learn the trade elsewhere.

I want no remnants of the clusterfuck that was TFC 2007-2010.

I dont care about fan faves or bullshit walls of honour.

How does keeping those guys make the team better?

They are leftovers of a losing culture.

Not to mention that their pressence allows shit disturber players an unhealthy outlet for their shit disturbing ways.

If there are shit disturbers in this squad i dont want them to have a support network. They have to answer to Winter and listen to winter.

Keeping buddies and ex teammates around is a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by v00d00daddy; 01-21-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

...actually, if he is released prior to July 1st, his salary won't count against the cap. He'll get his money as it is guaranteed but the club wouldn't eat a cap hit too.

After July 1st, well we're screwed.

(A) WAIVERS
    Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players on guaranteed contracts waived on or after July 1 of any year, however, will continue to have their salary budget count against the team's salary budget and the team waiving the player will not receive a replacement except under the normal player acquisition mechanisms.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/regulations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ...actually, if he is released prior to July 1st, his salary won't count against the cap. He'll get his money as it is guaranteed but the club wouldn't eat a cap hit too.

After July 1st, well we're screwed.

(A) WAIVERS
    Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players on guaranteed contracts waived on or after July 1 of any year, however, will continue to have their salary budget count against the team's salary budget and the team waiving the player will not receive a replacement except under the normal player acquisition mechanisms.

Thanks for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Hey those are two great players who have had all sorts of past regular season and playoff success before they came to Toronto. If the team was in any way decent they'd be MVP candidates! Imagine where the Leafs would be without them! You people just don't understand hockey

My personal run out of town list looks like this: Dero, the entire teachers pension plan, Colangelo, Vernon Wells, Burke, Bargnani then Wilson. Also I'm warming up a seat for JDG, but he still gets another chance first. And whatever bastard is preventing a Cheesecake factory from opening here. If I ever find out who's responsible for that I'm breaking out the pitchfork

VERNONS GONE! THE EVIL IS GONE FROM THIS PLACE! I'M SO HAPPY, SO SO SO HAPPY! Ding dong the witch is dead, which old witch, the WICKED witch

http://losangeles.sbnation.com/los-a...s-vernon-wells

Edit: I may or may not be pre-drinking. Still VERNONS GONE! HE'S GONE! I'm so so happy
    Last edited by Waggy; 01-21-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    VERNONS GONE! THE EVIL IS GONE FROM THIS PLACE! I'M SO HAPPY, SO SO SO HAPPY! Ding dong the witch is dead, which old witch, the WICKED witch

http://losangeles.sbnation.com/los-a...s-vernon-wells

Edit: I may or may not be pre-drinking. Still VERNONS GONE! HE'S GONE! I'm so so happy
    Bit harsh, I liked the guy, his contract was stupid but you can hardly blame him for that part

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Vernon is making $23 mil next year - more than the MLS Eastern Conference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    Bit harsh, I liked the guy, his contract was stupid but you can hardly blame him for that part
    You can blame him for taking the 3 years after signing that monster contract off though. I know some people who know some people, Vernon... enjoyed his time in Toronto. Last year he performed decently, but even at the 11 million the Jays paid him he was probably at best fairly paid. 22 million for the next 4 years? He'd have to almost double his production to be worth that. I don't care WHAT he does in Anaheim, he won't ever live up to that kind of financial commitment, and the financial and positional flexibility the Jays now have is almost priceless.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Whole organization? No
    Everyone involved in the senior team? Yup

How does TFC benefit (in terms of on field product) by making the new guys keep Brennan, Dichio, Cochrane, Dasovic etc?

Grooming future gms and coaches? Let them learn the trade elsewhere.

I want no remnants of the clusterfuck that was TFC 2007-2010.

I dont care about fan faves or bullshit walls of honour.

How does keeping those guys make the team better?

They are leftovers of a losing culture.

Not to mention that their pressence allows shit disturber players an unhealthy outlet for their shit disturbing ways.

If there are shit disturbers in this squad i dont want them to have a support network. They have to answer to Winter and listen to winter.

Keeping buddies and ex teammates around is a recipe for disaster.
    clearly you're an expert, knowing exactly how much influence each of the back staff had on the team.

while we're at it, let's get rid of Frei, Attakora, Cann and whoever performed well enough, because they were part of the 'old regime'
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(A) WAIVERS

You missed this big caveat at the top of the rules:

* The 2010 roster regulations are still being finalized by the MLS
    Competition Committee. The following information pertains to 2009 only and will be updated as soon as possible.

...so these regulations may not apply at all.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    clearly you're an expert, knowing exactly how much influence each of the back staff had on the team.

while we're at it, let's get rid of Frei, Attakora, Cann and whoever performed well enough, because they were part of the 'old regime'
    players and management are two very different things. TFC cleaned out much of the management but left behind apprentices for no good reason.

Give me some reasons why this team needs Brennan and Dichio and Dasovic bearing in mind that we have Winter, DeKlerk and Mariner.

The old bits are dead wood. They serve little purpose.

I await your expert analysis on the benefits of keeping them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    players and management are two very different things. TFC cleaned out much of the management but left behind apprentices for no good reason.

Give me some reasons why this team needs Brennan and Dichio and Dasovic bearing in mind that we have Winter, DeKlerk and Mariner.

The old bits are dead wood. They serve little purpose.

I await your expert analysis on the benefits of keeping them.
    I'm hoping and assuming Winter has a free hand, and isn't being encumbered by Anselmi.

I'm sure over a bit of time, roles will be clearly defined, (they may already have been, for all we know) and yes, probably one or two will be gone.

On the other hand, no sense dropping everyone before he's had an opportunity to determine which guys he wants to work with going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I'm hoping and assuming Winter has a free hand, and isn't being encumbered by Anselmi.

I'm sure over a bit of time, roles will be clearly defined, (they may already have been, for all we know) and yes, probably one or two will be gone.

On the other hand, no sense dropping everyone before he's had an opportunity to determine which guys he wants to work with going forward.
    This organization has a long history of behind the scenes power struggles - from above and below, lots of manouvering for favour and position, loyalties formed and so on. Nothing is ever straightforwad in that place and lots of very experienced guys have lost out. It would be great if TFC could get its management structure in order while it's still too small to really be pulled into the rest of the place.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... or because no one else wants him on the trade market as a DP or as a contracted player seeking DP status
    DeRo is not untradeable as much as it fits your point of view. There are actually several teams that I know would like to have him on their roster. You can be sure that if DeRo plays for TFC this year it is not because Winter feels stuck with him. He has many options. You guys just can't accept that he is a coveted player in this league.