Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The American's already have their version of the FA cup. It's one of the two or three oldest competitions in the world.

I know some people don't like the playoffs - it certainly has its drawbacks - but it's not like multiple leagues in Europe or anywhere else around the world don't use playoffs. Most of them just happen to do a worse version of what we have, but there you go. I fucking loved the playoffs last year. The two Montreal games were two of the best nights of my life. That wouldn't have happened without the playoffs.

I'd suggest that the winner of the cup and the winner of the supporters shield play each other in a one off at the beginning of the next season a la Community shield. Wouldn't mean much but it's a way for fans to settle stuff like this if they feel the need to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post

I'd suggest that the winner of the cup and the winner of the supporters shield play each other in a one off at the beginning of the next season a la Community shield. Wouldn't mean much but it's a way for fans to settle stuff like this if they feel the need to.
    what happens when it's the same team? 2nd in shield race?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    what happens when it's the same team? 2nd in shield race?
    I could see solid arguments for the runner up of either competition to play the game. Shield runner up would reward the second best team over the course of the season. Cup runner up would mean a rematch of the final and therefore likely more interest and higher ratings. I'd be fine with either. Very rarely do teams do the double in this league so it wouldn't be a reoccurring issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    The American's already have their version of the FA cup. It's one of the two or three oldest competitions in the world.

I know some people don't like the playoffs - it certainly has its drawbacks - but it's not like multiple leagues in Europe or anywhere else around the world don't use playoffs. Most of them just happen to do a worse version of what we have, but there you go. I fucking loved the playoffs last year. The two Montreal games were two of the best nights of my life. That wouldn't have happened without the playoffs.

There is a playoff going on right now in the Championship. Big reward - promotion to the Premier League.