Hybrid View

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ... or because no one else wants him on the trade market as a DP or as a contracted player seeking DP status
    DeRo is not untradeable as much as it fits your point of view. There are actually several teams that I know would like to have him on their roster. You can be sure that if DeRo plays for TFC this year it is not because Winter feels stuck with him. He has many options. You guys just can't accept that he is a coveted player in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    DeRo is not untradeable as much as it fits your point of view. There are actually several teams that I know would like to have him on their roster. You can be sure that if DeRo plays for TFC this year it is not because Winter feels stuck with him. He has many options. You guys just can't accept that he is a coveted player in this league.
    I hate to admit this but Roogsy is correct, for some teams out there DeRo is coveted, but not enough to pay for him.

If you read other team's message boards they are pretty evenly split on their desire to have DeRo on their team.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

These "several teams you know of" are they liking him on their roster as a DP or at his current contract.

Count me in as one of those that would like him at his current contract. Count me out if we have to risk the DP slot on him.

If you are speaking openly about teams having interest in him as a DP, I'd be very curious to see your definition of "several"

Only LA, Seattle, Toronto, Chicago, Real Salt Lake, KC, DC and NY currently make use of the DP slot. 8 teams.

Exclude Toronto and we are down to 7. LA and Seattle already have 3 DPs. Down to 5 now.

You'd really have to wonder whether KC would ever pony up the cash for 2. Down to 4?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These "several teams you know of" are they liking him on their roster as a DP or at his current contract.

Count me in as one of those that would like him at his current contract. Count me out if we have to risk the DP slot on him.

If you are speaking openly about teams having interest in him as a DP, I'd be very curious to see your definition of "several"

Only LA, Seattle, Toronto, Chicago, Real Salt Lake, KC, DC and NY currently make use of the DP slot. 8 teams.

Exclude Toronto and we are down to 7. LA and Seattle already have 3 DPs. Down to 5 now.

You'd really have to wonder whether KC would ever pony up the cash for 2. Down to 4?
    Quite the assumption that the teams that haven't used the DP spot will never use it.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    Quite the assumption that the teams that haven't used the DP spot will never use it.
    Not that much of an assumption when only 3 MLS teams turn a profit on an annual basis.

They are not as emotionally "scarred" by his actions as you seem to be so they will likely make a decision based on objective points of view instead of emotional reactions.

So if Toronto does not want to keep him, they really don't have to.
    Emotionally scarred? Heh, that's kind of funny. One of us is rarely, if ever, going to view DeRo's stats when he leaves, the other... well, I can't wait to read your thread on his first goal in another jersey. Hopefully, he can net one between June 5 and August 21st for his new club, you know, and make some kind of contribution

Objective points? You mean like age, attitude, future contribution, other available DPs, tactical tendencies as they relate to the team's system OR do you mean % contributions to goals for over a 2 year span?

Yeah, I hope they make their decision on those objective factors just like we should be.
    Last edited by Pookie; 01-22-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that much of an assumption when only 3 MLS teams turn a profit on an annual basis.

Some of the others must want to change that, though....

(actually, the way business works these days I doubt very many teams will ever show a profit )

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didn't I just debunk your point? most teams in MLS have used their DP spots

some are more cautious in using DP spot than others, but I think except for tight arses like Kraft in NE, most teams are willing to take a gamble on DP, if the player is right (certainly didn't see Landin or Geovanni signing, if a bit out of the blue)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Some of the others must want to change that, though....

(actually, the way business works these days I doubt very many teams will ever show a profit )
    only way MLS will ever make enough profit is a massive TV deal. it's how it works everywhere else in the world.

MLS will never make a profit, if it relies on gate receipt as primary source of income
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    only way MLS will ever make enough profit is a massive TV deal. it's how it works everywhere else in the world.

MLS will never make a profit, if it relies on gate receipt as primary source of income
    This...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make a profit or show a profit?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Depends on who is paying the "gate receipt".

The NHL is a gate driven league that doesn't have anywhere near the kind of TV deal that the NFL does. Selling seats to a corporate audience has worked for them.

Except of course, to Beach Red's point, when it comes to reporting profits during labour negotiations. At that point, they have nothing but losses to report

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's an outdated fact at this point, going all the way back to when FCD, TFC, and LA were the only ones making money.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think that's heavily false at this point and as teams transition into better venues (like KC) the red ink will only be further in the rearview mirror.
    debatable

you have good SSS like HDC, Pizza Hut Park, Toyota Park, Rio Tinto, etc and they aren't really translating into better crowd numbers... of course, most of these stadiums are located in Buttfuck, Nowhere
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

debatable

you have good SSS like HDC, Pizza Hut Park, Toyota Park, Rio Tinto, etc and they aren't really translating into better crowd numbers... of course, most of these stadiums are located in Buttfuck, Nowhere
    Dallas was actually one of the teams to show a profit before.

While some of these stadiums are legitimately in scumblefuck, keep in mind the dynamics of the urban scape vary from city to city. Not every US city is about proximity to downtown, a lot of city cores are complete dumps. Rio Tinto is on the rail line in SLC and not in a bad spot. Chicago has a sub-optimal location but somehow still draws.

I can't foresee the league struggling without a big TV deal providing the salary structure is kept reasonable and some of the other issues surrounding the business side get sorted out.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-22-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are so many variations of DPs and non-DP plus allocation and contract extensions at max salaries etc etc that you picking out a single possible way to renegotiate DeRo's contract is short-sighted. Interest from other teams does not necessarily mean they don't have options themselves on how to settle the DeRo situation. And that isn't even considering the teams that may want to use their DP slot which unless you can prove there are NO DP slots left in MLS, really leaves a multitude of options for everyone to consider. Just because you wouldn't pay for DeRo does not mean others won't. They are not as emotionally "scarred" by his actions as you seem to be so they will likely make a decision based on objective points of view instead of emotional reactions.

So if Toronto does not want to keep him, they really don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which teams that "you know of"? Any evidence here? Before you even attempt an answer, is this one of those super-extra-secret bits of insider insight you seem to have but really never comes to light as being true or even existing?

I'm surprised this one didn't get the red font alert treatment.

"Coveted" players don't get dealt for Julius James. I know the man has two names but really, come on.