Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    What option year?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/...tfc_derosario/

I've never seen or heard any evidence of option year or even any clauses from TFC or even DeRo. In sports, most option years are tacked on to the end of the contract. i.e. two years plus an option.

And I've yet to see any contract that MLSE has given out that has a renegotiation clause in the middle of the contract.

Again, negotiating a contract extension, or a negotiating a new contract as a existing contract is expiring is different than renegotiating in the middle of an existing contract. At least in sports. I mean I've asked in this thread for people to provide me examples where a team has renegotiated an existing contract for a raise smack in the middle of an existing contract.
    Just trying to get to a hundred. I thought earlier in this thread the contract was described as two years plus two option years (at one year each).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Just trying to get to a hundred. I thought earlier in this thread the contract was described as two years plus two option years (at one year each).
    Thanks.

You are right.

De Rosario’s contract gives Toronto FC the option to retain him or release him over the next two years.
    So it's a club option, not a player option meaning that the club either retains him at the existing contract or they just release him.

See... this whole fuck up wasn't really Mo's fault, it was DeRo's agents fault.

a) Agent shouldn't have never let DeRo sign a contract based on a verbal promise.
    b) Agent should have advised DeRo to sign a two year contract as opposed to a 4 year contract especially given the fact that there was this verbal promise to give him a raise, make him DP, make him the highest earner on the team, etc. You have more flexibility that way. The only down side with a short term contract is if you get hurt, it could hurt your earning potential on the next one.
    c) If you're going to put in option years, make it a player option as opposed to a team option.

Roogsy mentioned something about a new agent. a) Good on DeRo for firing his previous agent if that's the case and b) it sounds like the new agent has some tricks up his sleeve.