Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    You've come a long way baby

Originally Posted by Roogsy (page 29)
    ^ I think the point many of us are missing is that there appears to be different requirements for "training" as opposed to "trialing". Did DeRo meet the requirements for "trialing". Even I have to admit no. Did he meet the requirements for "training"? Even I am not sure how they differ from trial approvals, but apparently they do. Unfortunately in our rush to lynch DeRo have any of us considered whether he met the burden for a training session?

Not at all. Unless of course we are all burying our heads in the sand. There is no need for any player in North America to "train" in Scotland, England or anywhere else further away than their own league or continent. The point of training stints at another club is something of a preliminary "dance" with a club for a quick look that may or may not lead to a longer commitment. Do you agree or disagree? Or do you honestly think that players go to other clubs halfway around the world to get in shape?

The point of the post you just quoted from me was simply a matter of paperwork. If DeRo's camp submitted the correct paperwork for a training stint at club and it got approved, then what exactly is the problem here? So the real question is, did that happen and between who?

Everything else is irrelevant. You guys are looking for ghosts where there is nothing but wind blowing through trees.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Not at all. Unless of course we are all burying our heads in the sand. There is no need for any player in North America to "train" in Scotland, England or anywhere else further away than their own league or continent. The point of training stints at another club is something of a preliminary "dance" with a club for a quick look that may or may not lead to a longer commitment. Do you agree or disagree? Or do you honestly think that players go to other clubs halfway around the world to get in shape?
    Exactly, that's not "training", that's trialing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Exactly, that's not "training", that's trialing.

Trialing is a more formal arrangement where the interest is more acute. If you guys don't know that, it's ok but don't pin that on someone else. Are they similar? Yes. Are they the same? No. Did anyone lie to you like you are behaving? No.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 01-24-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Trialing is a more formal arrangement where the interest is more acute. If you guys don't know that, it's ok but don't pin that on someone else. Are they similar? Yes. Are they the same? No. Did anyone lie to you like you are behaving? No.
    Fine.

So was Celtic interested or not?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not at all. Unless of course we are all burying our heads in the sand. There is no need for any player in North America to "train" in Scotland, England or anywhere else further away than their own league or continent. The point of training stints at another club is something of a preliminary "dance" with a club for a quick look that may or may not lead to a longer commitment. Do you agree or disagree? Or do you honestly think that players go to other clubs halfway around the world to get in shape?.
    Oh, I never thought he was going there to train. That would be silly. I'm just taking a little shot at one of the defenses used in this whole debate.

I honestly think that TFC wanted him there in order that he could earn a longer term contract.

They clearly didn't want him going for a short term loan, saying no to the same, so giving "permission" (eventually) had to be done with the idea that if they could rid themselves of the contract on a longer term, they'd do it.

The only other plausible reason for TFC to allow him to stay there was to save face after having their hand forced.

Either way, I'm not sure how that parlays into him staying with the Reds in 2011.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Oh, I never thought he was going there to train. That would be silly. I'm just taking a little shot at one of the defenses used in this whole debate.

I honestly think that TFC wanted him there in order that he could earn a longer term contract.

They clearly didn't want him going for a short term loan, saying no to the same, so giving "permission" (eventually) had to be done with the idea that if they could rid themselves of the contract on a longer term, they'd do it.

The only other plausible reason for TFC to allow him to stay there was to save face after having their hand forced.

Either way, I'm not sure how that parlays into him staying with the Reds in 2011.
    I think that was the ploy from the agent from the start despite the public being told to the contrary. i.e. permission vs. no permission, training vs. trialing

But that would surely make you look like the bad guy for sure. Akin to a player not happy with his contract holding out at training camp.

The fact is DeRo was stuck. He had a contract that he signed for 4 years based on the promise from a previous GM that he would get raise at some point. He never got that raise and it appeared he wasn't going to get that raise. Unlike someone who has a regular job and could quit and take a job with another company, an athlete doesn't have the ability to "quit" and get a job with another team.

One option he has is to demand a trade out or the other is hold out. In both cases, the public isn't going to look to kindly on you.

So he and his agent found a way to force the clubs' hand to react in some way. They were able to exploit the incompetence of the previous regime or rely on that fact so when questioned what the hell are you doing in Glasgow? They could just respond "oh we were allowed to." And even if it wasn't the case they could just play it off as "see TFC is so incompetent, can't get their facts straight" and still save face.

That's why people in sports don't like agents because they'll come up with these kinds of scenarios.