Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    They stringed DeRo along promising things along the way they have not fulfilled. Was he foolish to believe them? Perhaps, it doesn't change the fact that they kept this issue alive by doing so.

Hmmm. My understanding is that "they" pretty much refers to Mo. So the current regime hasn't really strung anything along except perhaps, as you say, not definitely saying "shut up and play."

I don't imagine that will take long. In fact, that's what I translated "we expect him at training camp" as meaning. That's what it usually means when Euro football types like Winter say it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Hmmm. My understanding is that "they" pretty much refers to Mo. So the current regime hasn't really strung anything along except perhaps, as you say, not definitely saying "shut up and play."

I don't imagine that will take long. In fact, that's what I translated "we expect him at training camp" as meaning. That's what it usually means when Euro football types like Winter say it.
    Tom Anselmi mentioned during the town halls that De Rosario's contract would be up for discussion this off season.

So the promises did continue after Mo Johsnton was turfed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

No, Anselmi stuck his nose in it, going public and saying they'd be willing to "talk" to DeRo but then not actually doing it. Mo has been an easy scapegoat for MLSE but there's no way they actually gave him any real control (and if they did, whoever was responsible for that decision should be fired, there's no way to justify a guy with so little experience in a position of control, he was never more than a pawn).

It's more complicated because the contract everyone is talking about was structured with option years on top of guaranteed years and that's usually done as a chance to renegotiate - happens all the time. MLSE probably felt as he was getting older DeRo's production would fall off so they could renegotiate down. Didn't work out that way.

I still don't understand why they didn't just let him go on the trial - it would have worked out in TFC's favour when Celtic didn't offer to sign him. Let's hope that was the last mistake of the old regime.

The current regime really should take control of this - and perhaps they have with Winter's statement that DeRo is going to be the, "captain and leader," but we won't really know until things start to go wrong - if the team gets off to a slow start ot ha a mid-season slump or if Winter and Mariner start disagreeing about things.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    No, Anselmi stuck his nose in it, going public and saying they'd be willing to "talk" to DeRo but then not actually doing it. Mo has been an easy scapegoat for MLSE but there's no way they actually gave him any real control (and if they did, whoever was responsible for that decision should be fired, there's no way to justify a guy with so little experience in a position of control, he was never more than a pawn).

It's more complicated because the contract everyone is talking about was structured with option years on top of guaranteed years and that's usually done as a chance to renegotiate - happens all the time. MLSE probably felt as he was getting older DeRo's production would fall off so they could renegotiate down. Didn't work out that way.

I still don't understand why they didn't just let him go on the trial - it would have worked out in TFC's favour when Celtic didn't offer to sign him. Let's hope that was the last mistake of the old regime.

The current regime really should take control of this - and perhaps they have with Winter's statement that DeRo is going to be the, "captain and leader," but we won't really know until things start to go wrong - if the team gets off to a slow start ot ha a mid-season slump or if Winter and Mariner start disagreeing about things.

This.

I should add that I have more confidence that this issue will be sorted out than I did before. Winter and Mariner seem to want to sort things out and all DeRo can ask is that they be willing to do so. What their final agreement will look like I don't know but for now, I don't think DeRo is leaving like I thought might be the case at the end of December.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC did allow him to trial once the paperwork was in place. Aron Winter didn't allow a loan to Celtic because TFC had absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose in such an arrangement. The new regime has in fact taken control of the situation and have done so with class.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    TFC did allow him to trial once the paperwork was in place. Aron Winter didn't allow a loan to Celtic because TFC had absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose in such an arrangement. The new regime has in fact taken control of the situation and have done so with class.
    I would have to agree. DeRo may not like TFC's decision not to loan him out but it was TFC's decision to make and they have done so decisively. Of course, that gives him leverage upon his return to say "ok, you don't want to loan me out then obviously you value my services, let's talk".

And I think they will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    +1. Let's also remember that there wasn't any "loan" deal or transfer offer on the table. Celtic merely wanted to extend his training by a few weeks, and the club said no.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize that you hate ML$E, but that is ridiculous. Yes, they gave Mo control... wayyy to much control, because Anselmi & co. know nothing about football (that's why they needed Klinsmann to tell them what to do.).

Now with respect to Anselmi's promise, all he promised was to "talk." No mention of a DP slot for DeRo. We all know that "talk is cheap."

Of course, I expect that DeRo is going to be thrown a bone. How much of a bone remains to be seen.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I realize that you hate ML$E, but that is ridiculous. Yes, they gave Mo control... wayyy to much control, because Anselmi & co. know nothing about football (that's why they needed Klinsmann to tell them what to do.).

Now with respect to Anselmi's promise, all he promised was to "talk." No mention of a DP slot for DeRo. We all know that "talk is cheap."

Of course, I expect that DeRo is going to be thrown a bone. How much of a bone remains to be seen.

No, I don't hate them. In fact, I have too much respect for them as businessmen to believe they gave that much control to someone with so little experience. That would be too insulting to them. When they hired JFJ to run the Leafs they didn't give him anywhere near total control.

It's not because they don't know the particulars of the strategies of the respective games or the peculiar rules of each league, it's becaue they do know how to manage companies that they didn't hand over the building of an expansion team to a guy with zero budget experience. I think I have more respect for them than you do .