RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Manning replacement speculation thread

We know that MLSE wants to capitalize big time on Canada co-hosting the World Cup. So who will they bring in as team president? They want to right the sinking ship and have things going well as soon as possible. They have lots of money, but it's a gridiron guy in charge. Can they hire the right individual? Will the president still run the Argos as well as TFC? Will they hire a CFL guy? So many questions at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My biggest curiosity isn't so much who as what the task is. It's clear MLSE two years ago were thinking about the world cup and threw money at TFC hoping to have a team in place, winning with a hot ticket, to truly take advantage of the hype. They backed the wrong horse and that money was flushed down the toilet.

I'm really curious to know what the mindset is now. Manning was ultimate put on a financial leash, but is the mindset now for someone new to come in and take a pile of money and chase the same dream or has that ship sailed and we're going to be on a budget? I'll be looking for signs around that for sure. That could impact the strategy going forward for a decade+

That would probably significantly impact the who, also.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt they will maintain a position running both the Argos & TFC - I think that was a dual role due to convenience.

As to whom?

Hope is for capability

Expectation is for somebody who knows somebody

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect nobody, that Pelley will just have the GMs report to him directly. The extra level of admin and bureaucracy wasn't really accomplishing anything at either club except oversight, and he might well think he can handle that himself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I suspect nobody, that Pelley will just have the GMs report to him directly. The extra level of admin and bureaucracy wasn't really accomplishing anything at either club except oversight, and he might well think he can handle that himself.
    this makes sense, and i'd rather have people making purely football decisions in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure I'd be comfortable with Hernandez being the highest ranking official at TFC. The guy has a single year as a GM on his resume. Maybe he is some prodigy, but I personally would like to see a Chris Albright or Ernst Tanner given the position above him to handle the board and provide insight on transfers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Not sure I'd be comfortable with Hernandez being the highest ranking official at TFC. The guy has a single year as a GM on his resume. Maybe he is some prodigy, but I personally would like to see a Chris Albright or Ernst Tanner given the position above him to handle the board and provide insight on transfers.
    i'd imagine sean rubio the technical director is probably doing most the leg work, judging by the last window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i'd imagine sean rubio the technical director is probably doing most the leg work, judging by the last window.
    Probably. I will still advocate for someone with a very nice resume to come in though. Not gonna get upset either way.

One thing I will say, atleast we finally have something exciting to talk about with Manning leaving and impending incomings.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably. I will still advocate for someone with a very nice resume to come in though. Not gonna get upset either way.

One thing I will say, atleast we finally have something exciting to talk about with Manning leaving and impending incomings.
    and no manning involved making marketing signings, it's a great day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't fully disagree, but hey, it worked out well the last time we did it!

If we can't find a slam dunk bonafied, proven star I'd give Hernandez his shot. I'd like to see how he performs without Bill Manning asking "Sure, that signing fills a roster need, but will it generate some feel good tweets for two weeks?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So happy to see Manning gone, it’s a good day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Who handles the business side in a reporting structure like that? Lots happening over the next few years. Who would guide the World Cup stadium prep for example?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has a presser been called yet? I would like to know what the plan is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Who handles the business side in a reporting structure like that? Lots happening over the next few years. Who would guide the World Cup stadium prep for example?
    Eaves probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ralf Rangnick

I don't want to see anyone with less than 20 years experience, and only Football. No compromises.

We need pedigree, track record of success, and comes from a cultured football environment who gets the fans. Elevate this club back to where it should be.

No more American clowns.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-12-2024 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol why would a guy who just had success coaching austria and should have multi million dollar coaching offers around the world decide to come to an mls club thats been a disaster last five years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    lol why would a guy who just had success coaching austria and should have multi million dollar coaching offers around the world decide to come to an mls club thats been a disaster last five years
    Because we should demand nothing but best in class.

MLSE has an endless money pit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and many teams should demand nothing but best in class

a coach who is currently at that level will never drop so low into such a losing environment just because the money is there

if he left austria today he would have tons of offers from european clubs and national teams...if tfc would make an offer he would probably laugh and block the number

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    and many teams should demand nothing but best in class

a coach who is currently at that level will never drop so low into such a losing environment just because the money is there

if he left austria today he would have tons of offers from european clubs and national teams...if tfc would make an offer he would probably laugh and block the number
    Amir, your posts are always oozing with optimism, sarcasm 😁

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really know if Ragnick would be interested in MLS. But he's shown at several club jobs that his ideas at the club level are tired.

People talk about his influence on Red Bull, on Klopp and Pep. But they often neglect to mention that both Klopp and Pep have massively altered the pressing, interchanging role systems Ragnick developed after seeing the Soviets use them. They've adapted and changed those systems.

He was terrible at Man Utd. Toughest job, yes, but he got far less out of those players than their talent suggested.

Maybe he's better suited at his age to national jobs, where the short time together means that developing team culture is secondary to the immediacy of instruction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cant really say he was terrible at manchester...came in midseason and took over a team that was 7th and finished 6th...+their ownership issues are clear therefore hard to do much more in those conditions

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team President doesn't necessarily require that it's a soccer person in charge, unlike what happened under Manning, the President should not be making football decisions. The President should be directly concerned with is things like budgets, marketing, and the fan experience. What is required is that they know how to hire the right people to make the right decisions. So a CFL guy could possibly make a good Argos President and also be a good President for TFC.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after watching TTID podcast last night, im more than happy for hernandez and rubio to continue to make all the football related decisions.

been a marked improvement on the value we've managed to get since rubio came back especially (which makes sense as he was the cap manager from 2015-2019 here, and is very highly rated in MLS).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Team President doesn't necessarily require that it's a soccer person in charge, unlike what happened under Manning, the President should not be making football decisions. The President should be directly concerned with is things like budgets, marketing, and the fan experience. What is required is that they know how to hire the right people to make the right decisions. So a CFL guy could possibly make a good Argos President and also be a good President for TFC.
    In fact it would probably be better to have a president without football knowledge because that would lead to less Manning-like interference with roster decisions and DP signings. Negative is that it could lead to more guys like Curtis as GM but you can't win them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pardon me if I missed this but what exactly is the plan here? Pelley comes down from Ivory Tower, fires Bill, and proceeds to march right back up there like nothing ever happened.

What's the plan? are Hernandez and others under review? permanent? who looks after manning's stuff now ?? Some sense of direction beyond a vague letter to ssh would be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Pardon me if I missed this but what exactly is the plan here? Pelley comes down from Ivory Tower, fires Bill, and proceeds to march right back up there like nothing ever happened.

What's the plan? are Hernandez and others under review? permanent? who looks after manning's stuff now ?? Some sense of direction beyond a vague letter to ssh would be nice.
    I’d like to know too. I wonder if the TFC.ca writers, for example, know what’s really going on at the moment. Maybe Herdman doesn’t know either.

For a while I was as shocked that Manning was gone as I was by how he managed to screw up our roster budget so badly that we’ve become totally other than the “competing for chanpionships every year” kind of team he sold us.