Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    He gone!
    Wooooo!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A reminder that this is still going on and has yet to even have been addressed by Argo management

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Now then

THIS is the sort of thing that can insure people do not get their contracts renewed

Not going to talk about the incident beyond - stuff like this getting in the news is a worse sin in most BoD's eyes then losing

Tipping point must have been last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A reminder that this is still going on and has yet to even have been addressed by Argo management

I can guarantee you it was, as he was still talking last night about how we bounce back from it, how much better we'll do with Oso and Laryea back etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if they wanna put someone above Hernandez with MLS experience or not, but if they do, guys like Chris Albright or Ernst Tanner could be names to watch out for if given the President role. They have shown the ability to create very competitive clubs while not having to spend 15 million per year on a single player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy fuck, thank you Forge. This is the best TFC breaking news in forever. I don't ever want to hear anyone say the CPL does nothing for Canadian football ever again, that justified any investment made in the league.

I worry the long term damage he's done in blowing maybe our last chance at being a mega budget club is irreparable, but going forward from today this was needed for us to have any chance of healing.

It'll be so so so strange to see a big signing and wonder what piece of the puzzle the FO is trying to fill with that, rather than "yep, that'll cause happy tweets for a couple of weeks. Guess that's a good use of our budget"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red letter day. I'm glad I won't have to write Manning Out anymore. Took way too long but very glad it happened. Not fit for purpose.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wouldn't be unhappy with them just leaving the spot open for now unless someone excellent is available.

having purely football/ analytical minds in charge of signings should be the thing from now on, no more marketing moves.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jester's Dead - Close the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought we might be looking at our former worked-his-way-up guy, Corey Wray, given that the rumour was he was Bez's secret weapon on transfers. It was his analysis that identified many of the good players we signed under Bez and Columbus, but then he was passed over for the GM role when Bez left.

He signed a freelance advisory deal with the Impact on Monday, though, so he's probably not in the picture.

I imagine Rubio will lobby for it, as he's had some success in the past.

My sense from Pelley's other MLSE moves is he'll go to a prime non-local candidate and look for a change of culture as a result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes me want to go dance in the streets!

Of course you never want to see someone lose their job, but this was so overdue.

Yes, the CPL/MLS gap is decreasing, but I'm glad someone at MLSE realized that this sort of an insult and decided, enough is enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    wouldn't be unhappy with them just leaving the spot open for now unless someone excellent is available.

having purely football/ analytical minds in charge of signings should be the thing from now on, no more marketing moves.
    Agreed across the board. The best way to market this team is to win - we had more bums in seats with a team built for winning than with Bill Manning spending all his money on fan service. There'll always be an element of marketing, but if you're not focused on winning first, it's not going to do shit - and it didn't do shit.

And agree on let's not rush into a replacement. These are positions that are focused on the long term, not the short. I'd happily go the season without a replacement if it meant getting the right person in

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see it finally happen. He wasted MLSE's huge war chest by his incompetence. Imagine doing no more due diligence on a huge DP spend but "find an Italian." TFC's disastrous results are all on him.

As I predicted, Hernandez is still here for now.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-11-2024 at 10:43 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, nothing against him personally but a strong Canadian team is too important to build for 2026. Even if we are rebuilding, we needed some type of momentum!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey bill...sotto sotto is hiring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I can say I chatted with him every so often, and there was clearly the sense that they have to turn it around this year. But this coming after Forge was a surprise to him.

I think they did this as much to fire a shot over everyone else's bow as to right the ship. They might have been content with a Canadian title, OR the playoffs. But the risk of neither has made them react. That, and the new guy Keith Pelley (a former TSN intern from back when I started in journalism decades ago, I'll note) isn't the type to fuck around and find out. He'll have someone in mind already, based on the moves he's already made.
    I think when Pelley was appointed they more or less knew Manning wasn’t going to make it. They were probably just delayed as 1) Pelley was not yet appointed and 2) he wanted to see things first hand before making a change

Edit: part of me wonders if the board / MLSE saw the copa ratings and it finally dawned on them how much they are blowing it the way TFC is managed and decided to do a clean-up.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-11-2024 at 11:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the email from MLSE and thought it was to let me know my account info was compromised or something like that - So glad it is just Bill getting canned- way too late thought, the damage is done. Also Herdman ain’t the guy either- so more to clear out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I got the email from MLSE and thought it was to let me know my account info was compromised or something like that - So glad it is just Bill getting canned- way too late thought, the damage is done. Also Herdman ain’t the guy either- so more to clear out.
    way too early to say this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    What more do people at MLSE need to see after 3-4 years of this crap??
    Finally.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is June 29 was the tipping point.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m honestly shocked they fired him mid-season.

Gives me some more confidence in the new CEO.

Time for a global search hopefully. We should cast the net beyond the usual MLS lifers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    My guess is June 29 was the tipping point.
    Could've been. Pelley's proactive, and I can see him looking at the Apple numbers (which they do get) for us playing opposite Canada-Chile and asking "why on Earth didn't you move the game time up?", then finding out they didn't even try.

But he's been dead man walking for a while. It was probably coming anyway, but last night made it a Thursday decision instead of the usual "late Friday-let-things-cool-over-the-weekend" decision.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think it will comes down to if the plan is to hire separate presidents for the Argos and TFC? If they go that direction it will allow you to have a different lists of requirements for the job, what does it actually entail, is it a corp type position or do you want them to have sports related experience with a MLS or CFL understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I thought we might be looking at our former worked-his-way-up guy, Corey Wray, given that the rumour was he was Bez's secret weapon on transfers. It was his analysis that identified many of the good players we signed under Bez and Columbus, but then he was passed over for the GM role when Bez left.

He signed a freelance advisory deal with the Impact on Monday, though, so he's probably not in the picture.

I imagine Rubio will lobby for it, as he's had some success in the past.

My sense from Pelley's other MLSE moves is he'll go to a prime non-local candidate and look for a change of culture as a result.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, went for lunch and came back to an email from MLSE announcing this. Glad to see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"As part of the transition, Toronto FC general manager Jason Hernandez and Argonauts GM Michael Clemons will report directly to MLSE president and CEO Keith Pelley," according to the wire story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Toronto FC enters a crucial stretch of the season, and with the entire organization focused on a return to the MLS Cup Playoffs, every match – and every day of training and team building – matters.

Throughout the first three months in my role as President & CEO of MLSE, I have been busy learning and evaluating all aspects of the company’s business and I have spent a considerable amount of time focused on Toronto FC and doing everything needed to return the club to championship contention.

As part of that process, MLSE announced today that the organization and team President Bill Manning have mutually agreed to part ways effective today. Bill will always be an important part of Toronto FC’s championship history and we thank him for his commitment to the club and many contributions during his nearly nine years with TFC. As we evaluated the path ahead, however, and what is needed to deliver on our ambition to consistently deliver contending teams, it was determined that a new direction was required.

During this transition, Toronto FC General Manager Jason Hernandez will report directly to me, and with the support of MLSE ownership and that of Head Coach John Herdman and his staff, we will work to deliver on our winning promise to our supporters, both this season and in the seasons ahead.

Your passion and support is a critical part of Toronto FC’s success, and on behalf of the entire club, thank you for being with us. We look forward to creating many celebrations at BMO Field together in the months and years ahead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ In case anyone hasn't seen the email from Keith Pelley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ^ In case anyone hasn't seen the email from Keith Pelley.
    Thanks.
    I hadn't seen it.

Club is saying the right things, but proof is in the pudding.

As an aside, I wonder what signings he had in mind and if this potentially affects any (for better or for worst) with the upcoming transfer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Thanks.
    I hadn't seen it.

Club is saying the right things, but proof is in the pudding.

As an aside, I wonder what signings he had in mind and if this potentially affects any (for better or for worst) with the upcoming transfer window.
    I’m sure people will hate me for this but I hope the transfer window is outbound transactions and clear-outs only. We need the new president (and or GM that follows) directing the moves. I don’t want Hernandez doing anything

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m sure people will hate me for this but I hope the transfer window is outbound transactions and clear-outs only. We need the new president (and or GM that follows) directing the moves. I don’t want Hernandez doing anything
    Why?

Keeping changing everything all the time is the surefire way to stay last place.

Since 2020 we've had 6 coaches and 3 GMs.

Hernandez and rubio last winter mostly did pretty well with limited resources, and Rome wasn't built in a day.

This reactionary attitude needs to stop.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Why?

Keeping changing everything all the time is the surefire way to stay last place.
    We never changed everything all at once and started from scratch yet. We always had either a bad president, bad manager, or bad contracts lingering. That's why things never work. We keep at least some of the dead weight every single time. Some by choice, some by folly.