Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This club is lucky to be holding my funds from last year's seasons seats, or I would not be renewing them next season. And I've had mine since 2007.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were just as horrid against Montreal and Vancouver at the beginning of the season. Two teams in the same boat as us and at the beginning of the year. So, it not like things were fine and the wheels started to fall off. I have no idea how we managed to beat Leon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    We all get it, but how bout them blue jays?
    The sports are not comparable in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by GerMc View Post
    Sorry, but as I just said in my last post, I don’t think you can’t blame COVID for the terrible play on the field and the bad coaching and management decisions. Playing at BMO Field wouldn’t change those things that much. Maybe a little boost, but we would still have the Jozy debacle, no shape or consistency, mind boggling tactical and strategic decisions, a surprising number of injuries, and a complete and utter lack of action from management.
    I'm not buying the Covid excuse either, but I also wont discount the away from home affect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The sports are not comparable in the slightest.
    I don’t believe I compared the sports at all. The point is there are athletes living out of suitcases with every excuse to mail it in, who are still performing. I get the difficulty and I want the boys home with their families, but this is by no means a scapegoat for Armas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like our next chance at winning a game will be July 24th. That's when TFC plays Chicago. If we are winless after the Chicago game, then Armas' coaching position should be completely untenable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’ve seen a lot of this in the past year. Company struggles on various fronts excuse is always the topic de jour.

I always go back to how well did the management team do with the things that were under their control.

In the case of Armas, you’d be hard pressed to say anything but he’s made a number of contributory mistakes, worsening the overall result. For that reason, I think he should go.

But I get what you’re saying. That will be the excuse and they’ll try to hang on.

Just like Mo Johnston, the game here is to appear stoic and delay making any decisions. The more decisions you make, the more you run the clock down on yourself. They’re going to milk this for all it’s worth until they’re eventually found out.

Not sure how the board isn’t keyed on this already. They just authorized buying a DP this year.

We are New York Knicks bad / underperforming.

Had not thought of this comparison but it is spot on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The team should have withdrawn from MLS competition and loan all players to other teams for the entirety of the season.

Canadian teams got screwed by our government. I do not want to make this political, but its a god damn fact.
    Yes, but our government happens to be correct. I know Ford exaggerates the risk of cross border travel, (and totally failed to address covid where it has been rampant) but we do need to. be cautious and Trudeau has it about right - Look what is happening TODAY in Australia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were probably still playing the Vanney way when we beat Lyon as it was so early in the season and the short preseason due to the outbreak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    We were just as horrid against Montreal and Vancouver at the beginning of the season. Two teams in the same boat as us and at the beginning of the year. So, it not like things were fine and the wheels started to fall off. I have no idea how we managed to beat Leon

FAIR

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is, we didn't play the Vanney way for the first few games & were showing signs of doing good at the press & playing the youths.

That went out the window about 6 games ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Yes, but our government happens to be correct. I know Ford exaggerates the risk of cross border travel, (and totally failed to address covid where it has been rampant) but we do need to. be cautious and Trudeau has it about right - Look what is happening TODAY in Australia
    Finland also had a spike from fans who went to Russia for a game. 2000 fans went. They have identified 120 cases from that trip so far. 6%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benching Jozy is like the Leafs benching Mitch Marner because he was poor in the playoffs. If the Leafs think Marner doesn't have it for a playoff team, do you thin they will yell that to the world of hockey or try to quietly figure out a way to move on? I don't care what he said to the coach, a one game suspension would hav =e been enough to say "No, I am the boss". Sending him to train on his own made it far less likely for the club to be able to move him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Thing is, we didn't play the Vanney way for the first few games & were showing signs of doing good at the press & playing the youths.

We stopped playing the press, imho because we were falling like flies with injuries and couldn't maintain the intensity required on the defensive third. It was optimistic but unsustainable... the injuries were unprecedented. Perhaps Armas misjudged his training tactics, perhaps not but we won't know because they don't talk about the hard things... just we are trying harder, Jozy is an internal matter, we gave ourselves an extension etc.

The whole thing can be summed up to bad management. This concept of not talking and/or over controlling the message is so American (no offence to our American friends). And the PR has been soft, I felt bad for MB to even have to produce that tweet. He should never doubt the supporters, nor should the club. We aren't (or at least I am not) mad at the players, I support them 100%. The players shouldn't doubt that unless they stop trying.

Management doesn't realize a great deal of us left our money in, to show support. I don't know who came up with the phrase in the boards but it is time to "put on your big kid pants" and deal with a ship that is a mess and I no longer think its not just Armas , it Ali as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benching Jozy is like the Leafs benching Mitch Marner because he was poor in the playoffs. If the Leafs think Marner doesn't have it for a playoff team, do you thin they will yell that to the world of hockey or try to quietly figure out a way to move on? I don't care what he said to the coach, a one game suspension would hav =e been enough to say "No, I am the boss". Sending him to train on his own made it far less likely for the club to be able to move him.
    To be honest, it is more like banishing Dave Keon, a club legend, captain and someone who was instrumental in winning a cup. Maybe Marner one day but I get your point...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    To be honest, it is more like banishing Dave Keon, a club legend, captain and someone who was instrumental in winning a cup. Maybe Marner one day but I get your point...
    Better analogy. And didn't they do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

That’s my real question mark in all this.

We had a youthful approach in the CCL. A bunch of young guys who appeared to have buy in. They weren’t perfect but it was exciting at times and worth watching, for sure. They are young and not burdened by being away from home the same way the vets are.

A lot of people, myself included, gave it a thumbs up. We might have been a bubble playoff team, not a dominant year or competing for a shield, but at least building towards something. Heck, we could have dumped some of our vets and used the flexibility to address the worst areas of our roster.

But, at the first sign of trouble, we lost our lunch and changed our approach. And he’s been rolling the dice with different tactics every game since hoping for something to stick. But the reality is: nothing will stick if the manager doesn’t have the fortitude to stick to some sort of plan at least part of the time.

Youth? Vets? 4-3-3? 3-5-2? Press? No press? Partial press? Guys out of position? Guys in position? He’s tinkering with so many variables there’s never enough consistency to build the chemistry required to win games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better analogy. And didn't they do that?
    Keon banished the Leafs. He was mistreated by Ballard and wouldn’t go near the team for 40 years.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Keon banished the Leafs. He was mistreated by Ballard and wouldn’t go near the team for 40 years.

You bet he did, thanks for beating me to it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You are, of course, correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    This season deserves Vic Rauter.
    My vote for quote of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got up this morning and thought that I’d at least get to enjoy watching The Netherlands play, especially after last nights debacle. So much for that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you could draw the conclusion the half time talk was sub optimal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

I guess you could draw the conclusion the half time talk was sub optimal.
    That's just bleak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's flatlining. Armas' coaching career is dead, he just doesn't know it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're obviously leaning on the "living on the road is hard" narrative with members of the media. But keep in mind that at the start of the season, all we heard was "they have their families with them this time, it's way better, there's a real team spirit" etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They're obviously leaning on the "living on the road is hard" narrative with members of the media. But keep in mind that at the start of the season, all we heard was "they have their families with them this time, it's way better, there's a real team spirit" etc etc.
    No excuses. Unless things are going bad.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    No excuses. Unless things are going bad.
    "Victory needs no explanations." -- Gyula Groscics

If there's a lot of "explanations" it's because things are rapidly going downhill.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto