Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick thoughts:

- Don't think the 3-5-2 is a good match up vs. Columbus. At least Vanney realized it quickly and made the appropriate changes.

- Edwards is putting Morgan out of a job

- Cheyrou provided what we missed with Delgado out: quick and accurate passing

- Vazquez is a difference maker and I just can't help thinking about what could've been if we'd signed him last year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah! I happily eat crow because of Ricketts, but in my eyes EDWARDS brought in the real change.
    He should start every game!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smash and grab job!!! As has been said, this is what championship teams do. They take points from games they have no business being in. It was always going to be a tricky one but to take all 3 points??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I like Vanney but I'd hold short of any praise. The team came out confused and unbalanced... that's ultimately on the coach but credit given for salvaging a draw out of this dumpster fire.
    exactly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is now 1 point from tying their point total from the Worse Team in the World Season. 2012 was 23 points from 34 games. This year 22 points in the first 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was this the worst ever played game by TCF but won?
    The stream was horrible in the last 30 minutes on Youtube, and I couldn't believe the second goal.

Yeah, we didn't deserve even 1 point, played like crap 80 minutes, but how many times we deserved a win this season, and ended up just drawing?
    At least 3 times!
    So this is just kind of justice done in the long run...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    LOL. Good find. I loved that ad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    TFC is now 1 point from tying their point total from the Worse Team in the World Season. 2012 was 23 points from 34 games. This year 22 points in the first 11
    It's a fact, but still shocking to think about about it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edwards, Cheyrou or Delgado (because game flows well with him) and Ricketts all deserve to start next game.

Maybe rest altidore a game and give ricketts another start with Giovinco if he's back and healthy.

And Mavinga didn't deserve to come off today. He was playing well. Rather should have been Zavaleta. But he was sacrificed foe the tactical change. Hope he gets another starting chance and the switch doesn't kill his confidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Poor, poor Koevermans, imagine him being on the field with these guys we have now.... He would have scored 20 goals per season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time we ever won 5 in a row. Good chance to make it 6 this Saturday. That would be huge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[yes Yeti. This team has character and a back bone, and that helped us to pull through. I agree that we could have easily lost this one, but we pulled through. The reality of being in a parity league, is we won't win every game. QUOTE=PizzaEatingYeti;1838671]Was this the worst ever played game by TCF but won?
    The stream was horrible in the last 30 minutes on Youtube, and I couldn't believe the second goal.

Yeah, we didn't deserve even 1 point, played like crap 80 minutes, but how many times we deserved a win this season, and ended up just drawing?
    At least 3 times!
    So this is just kind of justice done in the long run...[/QUOTE]

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wanted to say:

First goal was Cheyrou - Vazquez - Edwards - Ricketts.

Second goal was Cheyrou - Edwards - Vazquez - Ricketts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk about smash and grab ...

That was a very lethargic performance by the Reds tonight, but three points are three points however you get them. I'm just grateful we took them at the end of the day. However, the best part of the first hour was a tactical disaster, truth be told. It is credit to the coach who was able to see this and turn things around with the tactical switch and his substitutions. (something I've been critical of in the last two fixtures)

We seemed to start that game 5-4-1, which I'm sure wasn't the case, and Columbus were able to compress our midfield into such a narrow set up, we were unable to get a foothold in the middle of the park. Even with the move to a flat back four we were still struggling to get a foothold. It was only when Cheyrou came on, to team up with Bradley and Vazquez, we managed to settle into any sort of rhythm in midfield. The switch of Edwards for Chapman however was the key to the match. Young Raheem was able to unlock Columbus, not once but twice, in what for me was a MOTM performance. The young Torontonian proved to be the difference maker on the night with two beautiful balls in behind their defence. As is always the case, just when I was starting to think Ricketts was not the same player who was so effective off the bench for us in the playoffs last year, and that we might need to examine our options for a back up striker, up he pops with a brace to secure all three points.

All in all not our most sparkling 90 minutes of the campaign so far, but as the cliche says, great teams find a way to win even when they're not in the best form. If ever there was a case for that cliche to be aired it was tonight...

Onwards and upwards TFC, let's extend our winning run to six games on the weekend, when the Loons come to town

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good night all around. Looking like we will be playing Ottawa in the Voyageurs - up 3-1 on aggregate with 2 away goals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    A good night all around. Looking like we will be playing Ottawa in the Voyageurs - up 3-1 on aggregate with 2 away goals.
    Would we play them home & away? Road trip to Ottawa would be nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good teams always find a way to win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game showed how good a team we are. Difficult mid-week game after West coast trip - missing Giovinco....Played poorly for 75 minutes. Edwards has made a claim for a starting 11 role - he gets better and better. Ricketts get's his season going & Vasquez is really finding his stride. Add in Cheyrou playing well & we are really becoming a complete team.

white shirt covered in alcohol stains
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three stars:
    1: Edwards
    2: Ricketts - There is a reason he is not a starter in MLS and does not have a complete package of skills. But the criticism is overstated. He has provided quality output for his minutes and role.
    3. Vanney - Original game plan didn't work and made necessary in game changes. Both in terms of tactics and subs.

Not pretty and frustrating for most, but hard to be overly critical of TFC in this game considering the ridiculous situation of playing 3rd game in 8 days. Which makes the result that much more satisfying.

I hate playing C-bus. Every time we beat them, which is not that often, i chant "Sub-prime mortgages / clap clap clap-clap clap" which is what we chanted on the bus ride through Columbus in the road trip of 2009.

Honorable mention to Cheyrou. I just love what this guy is all about. Pure class.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Incredible touch by Vasquez. Incredible.
    Vasquez is a one man case study of the tiny little things that can separate elite players from the group.

98% of the time he looks exactly like Osorio. But he has 8 assists in 10 games (or whatever).
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please shelve the Trillium Concept Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must confess, I turned off the TV in the 78th minute and told my son when he got home that TFC lost 1-0. My son just checked the score and I feel stupid. Tobias time usually happens *against* TFC, not *for* TFC. How the heck did they manage to win that game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shame that Edwards isn't considered a rookie because he played professionally in USL. He'd be the early front-runner for Rookie of the Year.

I hope Zambrano is watching though.
    Last edited by notthesun; 05-10-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Yeah! I happily eat crow because of Ricketts, but in my eyes EDWARDS brought in the real change.
    He should start every game!!!!!
    If he continues to improve at this rate, he will be playing with Messi in a year or two.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Vasquez is a one man case study of the tiny little things that can separate elite players from the group.

98% of the time he looks exactly like Osorio. But he has 8 assists in 10 games (or whatever).
    I don't agree. Osorio is nowhere near Mr V in any category, and, barring a miracle, will likely spend most of the remainder of his career on a bench.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In a long season with a deep squad, you need to get everyone in and rotate some. It also doesn't hurt to try different tactics, especially considering our loss last time against Columbus. Of course, you still have to see how the players react and, if needed, make adjustments. This was a good step forward for Vanney tonight, but also a good shot in the arm for a team playing a lot of games in a short period of time. Edwards, Ricketts and Vanney all deserve praise for their roles tonight. And how about that touch from Vazquez?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really didn't think it was going to be our night, especially after Jozy missed the penalty kick. But...HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEHHHH!!!!! That it came at the expense of the Pissstains on their turf made it even sweeter.

See you gang at the match Saturday against the Loonies. Should be a good one.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also, how about Hagglund anchoring our back line during this run? The guy has been immense.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I don't agree. Osorio is nowhere near Mr V in any category, and, barring a miracle, will likely spend most of the remainder of his career on a bench.
    Osorio has a lot of skill on the ball. His minutes are dropping because of our depth, we are overloaded in midfield.

I don't know why he has become a bit of a whipping boy around here.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case someone hasn't already posted this.

“Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens