Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Armen Bedakian @ArmenBedakian · 24m

Jonathan De Guzman just said in an interview with Dutch TV he plans on finishing his career with Toronto FC. #TFC #MLS

That's some big news.. Would be awesome.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yawn. Wanna collect a nice retirement cheque, does he
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah exactly...no thanks...this is not the place to "cash in" once you are done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1. Already been burned when I bought tickets to the first DeGuzman Freeloader Tour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he's 28, 29 I'd take him in a heartbeat. 32+, no thanks.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ assuming TFC want players that are finishing their careers…. oh wait

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ assuming TFC want players that are finishing their careers…. oh wait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

give him another world cup or euro and he'll come around that time (28-30).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my eyes, he burn that bridge when he chose the Oranjes over the CMNT.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would we want a Dutch second-rate player? I'd prefer either a Canadian or a first-rate international.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Why would we want a Dutch second-rate player? I'd prefer either a Canadian or a first-rate international.
    You talking about the same player?

Lets be real, he is not a second rate player. Do I want him? Nope. But lets not give him an unfair evaluation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    hear hear.

I look at it this way Swansea won't buy him. Villa won't recall him..

he wants too much money.. and isn't worth it. More then that is he turned his back on Canada. He doesn't deserve to wear the Maple leaf on his kit.. ever.
    Last edited by Kaz; 06-12-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Armen Bedakian @ArmenBedakian · 24m

Jonathan De Guzman just said in an interview with Dutch TV he plans on finishing his career with Toronto FC. #TFC #MLS

TFC brass will have a hard time with this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want a toilet made out of solid gold.

Eat bird, Judas.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh...this is a variation on the theme was have seen of TFC being mentionned in every possible move to MLS.

If he fits the bill, and can do the job at the time, sure. But given everything we have seen of him, I don't think he will fit that price he wants or be able to do the job we will need.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at what Michael Bradley is making. It could have been JDG2. There's not that much to choose between them, in reality. JDG2 is a very good player.

If he had declared for Canada, and gotten us into WC2014, maybe he would have signed here for tens of millions.

Big if I know, but we weren't that far off, if we'd beaten Honduras in a game we dominated here but tied 0-0 the 8-1 game wouldn't have mattered, we'd have been in the hex already.

He must wonder what might have been - he is an itinerant who will now play for 5 clubs in 5 years, and make maybe a quarter of what Bradley makes. No wonder he is talking about this.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-12-2014 at 07:27 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey JDG2!

Go fuck yourself if you wanna come to TFC and you'll be already over 31 by then.
    Otherwise, if in the moment of signing the contract you'll stil have at least 8 months until you go over 31, you are very welcome!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he's still useful by then, and will play at a discount (meaning maybe not even a DP contract by then), then I'd consider him, the same as I'd consider any other player.

If he thinks he's going to come here in his mid-30s for one last, big payday, and is assuming TFC will be happy to give it to him? Fuck you, budday.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    If he's still useful by then, and will play at a discount (meaning maybe not even a DP contract by then), then I'd consider him, the same as I'd consider any other player.

If he thinks he's going to come here in his mid-30s for one last, big payday, and is assuming TFC will be happy to give it to him? Fuck you, budday.
    He's not my budday, pal.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You talking about the same player?

Lets be real, he is not a second rate player. Do I want him? Nope. But lets not give him an unfair evaluation.
    By the time he wants to retire here he'll be second rate.

JDG2 is all about JDG2. He's the opposite in character of the type of player that we are trying to get and build our team around, someone like Michael Bradley.

His slight of Canada will not easily be forgotten. He paved the way for a whole generation of players to declare for other nations, which is the biggest reason why Canada is not playing in the World Cup.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Yawn. Wanna collect a nice retirement cheque, does he
    mista already got the cheque
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    +1. Already been burned when I bought tickets to the first DeGuzman Freeloader Tour.
    Totally the same thing...

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    He's not my budday, pal.
    I'm not your pal, friend.

“Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question: Would Jonathan de Guzman increase or decrease TFC viewership, game-day revenue, merchandising revenue etc.

My honest opinion is no. It would actually negatively impact how Canadian soccer fans view the club and he is not a big enough name to counter that push back. TFC would not gain anything by adding him to the roster and could find a player of equivalent talent without the luggage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember when JDG2 toed us along for years when he wanted to play for Canada...same thing going on here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Jono chooses to play for Holland. Says he feels Dutch - understandable considering he received his football education there
    2) After years of not getting a call-up, Jono wants to play for Canada, but he has to get his passport back first - Yay!
    3) Jono says he's still available for selection if BvM wants to call him up - Opinion of him taking a turn downwards, but can still accept the fact that it might not be so easy to get his Canadian passport back without giving up his Dutch (EU) one
    4) Jono says he'll play for Canada if they make it to the hex - Yeah fuck you. If you rely on the other players to do the heavy lifting to get the team to a place where it's good enough for you to play for than YOU ARE NOT DP MATERIAL! DP's need to be players who can raise the game of the team and lead them to victory. Jono wasn't willing to do that for his own country, why should we pay him to do it for TFC?

If he wants to finish his career with his hometown team, than he can finish his career at Feyenoord, where he developed and started his career. My guess though is that it's a matter of money. Feyenoord can't give him a big pay check, but TFC can.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Pretty much the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

I have a feeling that's entirely his intention. I don't know whether or not he sees it that way, but it's a bit of a back-handed compliment to say; "Yeah, when I'm all done playing in Europe with the top-flight clubs here I guess I'll finish up with TFC."

Maybe it's just the delivery, but it rubs me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Remember when JDG2 toed us along for years when he wanted to play for Canada...same thing going on here
    To be fair, at least he didn't make his announcement the same week that Bradley and Defoe were introduced.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"i'd love to have an organization grossly overpay for me due to unwarranted nostalgia! That's a great retirement plan!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we need a big player who was born in Canada, then go after Will Johnson. At least he wouldn't cost DP kind of money, and he actually has class. Whether he would leave Portland is another story, but I'd be more willing to try for him than to give Judas a payday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there is any way the front office will bring him in, but the thought itself pisses me off...