Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    It's just so bizarre and tin-hattish ... I can't leave it alone. I find the overwhelming sense of entitlement of many supporters, disjarring.
    Exiled you were right. There it is, the tin hat.

You know, I asked Roogsy this same question, why do you care so much? This was last year when there were multiple 100 page Dero threads last year, and he had a hundred posts in every thread. His answer was this: I am a friend of Dero's, I know him personally, and I know he's not the guy people make him out to be. Now, right or wrong, that's a motive, that's a reason to be obsessed that makes sense to me.

I find your reason totally lacking. Just lame insults about tin hats and entitlement. Your arguments are unpersuasive. I don't believe you. I am not saying you work for MLSE, but I suspect you have a reason for doing what you are doing that you are not disclosing.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ensco you're not the only who feels that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think SSH should go to this game for free? LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I find your reason totally lacking. Just lame insults about tin hats and entitlement. Your arguments are unpersuasive. I don't believe you. I am not saying you work for MLSE, but I suspect you have a reason for doing what you are doing that you are not disclosing.
    LOL. That's an amusing deflection away from the fiction you invented about the non-transparent pricing. Points for that!

Do I have reasons? If I do, they are deep enough that I don't know what they are ...

I'm simply pleased to have a mid-July game to go to. I didn't have an opportunity to go to most of the friendlies, as I'm normally haven't been around in mid-late July. And quite frankly, the pricing seems reasonable to me for a big EPL team. Personally, I'd sooner see an EPL team play TFC, rather than some other second-rate European team. And while I can see that others might not be interested ... I'm surprised that they keep wanting to tell those that are interested, how much they don't like it. Am I a Liverpool fan ... no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such anger in here....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're math is subjective. There has always been a "shell game" around how tickets have been bundled. It is impossible to disallocate the effect of ticket price increases (up to 2010) and the shifting number of games without being totally subjective.

"Many paid a pretty penny to see this game". Bwahaha. You cannot be serious. Maybe a few hundred did.

I have a question for you. Why are you so determined to "own" this question of the fairness of pricing and the treatment of the SSHs on this topic? What is the reason for your passion on this topic?

It has to be said, I don't see anyone but you making the case that you are making, while there are literally dozens arguing the other side. Yet you have a massive post count in this thread, and simply will not let a single point slide. Frankly, I have been coming back in here and repeating myself solely because I see the volume you are posting in defence of what the FO are doing. It makes one wonder.
    In fairness to nfitz, the tinfoil hat argument is just as lame and unpersuasive as trying to imply someone may be dishonestly invested in one side of the argument, simply because they are arguing with passion. I used to spend all kinds of time (like, years ago), arguing topics I wasn't personally passionate about, just because poor arguments drive me crazy and I didn't wnt to give the people involved the self-satisfaction of thinking they were right. I should add that this isn't an endorsement of anything nfitz has said - this is my first time even looking in this thread, and I only skimmed a few pages.

Anyway, on to the actual topic. I don't care about Liverpool, I don't like mid-season friendlies, and the tickets are too expensive for my tastes. So I won't be going. I don't really have the energy to rage at MLSE about it, and more power to the LFC fans who are excited to go and see their club.

I don't know why MLSE continue to insist on these mid-season friendlies. They potentially have an ill-effect on the team, and they surely don't make enough profit to be worth the ill will they apparently generate with a lot of the "core" TFC fanbase.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm simply pleased to have a mid-July game to go to. I didn't have an opportunity to go to most of the friendlies, as I'm normally haven't been around in mid-late July. And quite frankly, the pricing seems reasonable to me for a big EPL team. Personally, I'd sooner see an EPL team play TFC, rather than some other second-rate European team. And while I can see that others might not be interested ... I'm surprised that they keep wanting to tell those that are interested, how much they don't like it. Am I a Liverpool fan ... no.
    There are already 3 regular season games in July that you can go to that mean something with the possibility of a Champions league match. But it sounds like you're after seeing an EPL friendly no matter who it is. You are the target. Congrats. Have fun.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    In fairness to nfitz, the tinfoil hat argument is just as lame and unpersuasive as trying to imply someone may be dishonestly invested in one side of the argument, simply because they are arguing with passion. I used to spend all kinds of time (like, years ago), arguing topics I wasn't personally passionate about, just because poor arguments drive me crazy and I didn't wnt to give the people involved the self-satisfaction of thinking they were right. I should add that this isn't an endorsement of anything nfitz has said - this is my first time even looking in this thread, and I only skimmed a few pages.

- Scott
    Well, this is a price of tickets and value for money debate. I'm pretty suspicious when it's an issue like this one, where a guy is making the same argument over and over again, and he's alone, over dozens of pages. It's deceptive. The volume of response makes it look like a debate, when it's not.

I'll take my chances on which side of the poor argument issue I find myself on ... the idea that moving from the included Bolton friendly, to the not included Liverpool friendly, is somehow neutral to SSHs ... is ridiculous.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-15-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, this is a price of tickets and value for money debate. I'm pretty suspicious when it's an issue like this one, where a guy is making the same argument over and over again, and he's alone, over dozens of pages. It's deceptive. The volume of response makes it look like a debate, when it's not.

I'll take my chances on which side of the poor argument issue I find myself on ... the idea that moving from the included Bolton friendly, to the not included Liverpool friendly, is somehow neutral to SSHs ... is ridiculous.
    As I said, I'm not making any value judgment on the merits of the arguments being made. I'm barely paying attention to them. I just don't like undermining arguments by insinuating your opponent is personally invested in a particular side, with no evidence aside from their dedication to the debate. Nor do I like sloughing off a point of view by accusing someone of wearing a tin foil hat.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    As I said, I'm not making any value judgment on the merits of the arguments being made. I'm barely paying attention to them. I just don't like undermining arguments by insinuating your opponent is personally invested in a particular side, with no evidence aside from their dedication to the debate. Nor do I like sloughing off a point of view by accusing someone of wearing a tin foil hat.

- Scott
    OK. You're probably right about that.

nfitz, since you said you have no interest other than the argument itself, I withdraw the comment that you have an undeclared interest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nfitz, since you said you have no interest other than the argument itself, I withdraw the comment that you have an undeclared interest.
    And I'll take back the tin-foil joke. And yes, I can see that it sounds like I protest too much. Personally I'm just relieved the pricing was so reasonable compared to what Manchester tickets at Rogers cost, to play a second rate British team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

* I don't like mid-season friendlies for TFC. We don't need extra games with a thin squad. We may very well have nothing to play for by that point though.
    * I really don't care about the price, as I am not going.
    * If I supported Liverpool, I'd be over the moon that I got to see my club in my backyard, and I'd pay whatever the cost was and have a fantastic day out. I paid a lot more to see United-Celtic last year in a glorified friendly and it was one of the highlights of my summer.
    * I am glad they did not include this ticket in my package and charge me extra for it
    * I'd much rather have lower priced season tickets in line with the rest of the league than have MLSE throw this ticket in for "free" (although both would be nice :-) )

I also think that if ticket sales drop off at renewal time, we can expect to see more high priced friendlies involving TFC. They will want to make back lost revenue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'll take back the tin-foil joke. And yes, I can see that it sounds like I protest too much. Personally I'm just relieved the pricing was so reasonable compared to what Manchester tickets at Rogers cost, to play a second rate British team.
    Celtic are not a second rate British team. Celtic are a storied club with a rich history and one of the best supported clubs in the world. Now, they aren't the team they once were, but neither are Liverpool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so anyone know how the ticket sales are doing for this game

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Celtic are not a second rate British team. Celtic are a storied club with a rich history and one of the best supported clubs in the world. Now, they aren't the team they once were, but neither are Liverpool.
    I thought second rate was a compliment ... they well may storied well-supported club. But they aren't in the same calibre as a top premier league team, or a middling one. Based on European play in the last few years, I don't think the Scottish clubs would even be competitive in the Championship any more. More League One quality I'd say ... which is still full of storied clubs with rich history, and good support, like Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Notts County, etc.

Are we more interested in the quality of play, or just the glamour. In which case, why don't we bring Cosmos here.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BReaking news. Liverpool to play TFC Academy

and now I sit back and enjoy the mass pantie-un-bunching
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^Now that is a funny!
    KD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought second rate was a compliment ... they well may storied well-supported club. But they aren't in the same calibre as a top premier league team, or a middling one. Based on European play in the last few years, I don't think the Scottish clubs would even be competitive in the Championship any more. More League One quality I'd say ... which is still full of storied clubs with rich history, and good support, like Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Notts County, etc.

Are we more interested in the quality of play, or just the glamour. In which case, why don't we bring Cosmos here.
    Celtic were Champions of Europe in 67, finalists in 1970 and semi finalists and quarter finalists many other times through out the 70's and into the 80's. 90s money took over and Scottish football couldn't keep up. But many teams in the prem that are good today weren't always good or teams that once were top clubs aren't anymore just like most sports (just look at the Leafs once a legendary hockey team). Teams like Aston Villa, and Nottingham Forrest winning what is Champions League today in the late 70s and early 80's. Even Ipswich won a what is now the Europa Cup in 81. Teams like Chelsea spent the mid 90s as a middle of the pack club, and spent 8 years in the 70's and 80's in 2nd division. Manchester City spent late 90s in the 2nd and even 3rd division, and then spent most the 2000,s near the bottom or middle of the table in the premiership, look at them now with all the money and a championship. Seems all it takes is to have the richest owner in the world and your set. Who knows what the next big club will be. As for the Socttish league, its a big struggle money wise...most recent success they have had was 2003 Europa Cup finalists (knocking out liverpool quarter finals 3-1 aggregate.), but lost to Porto in final. Since they haven't really done much in Europe at all. But that said now if Celtic and Rangers were to ever move to the Championship or premiership (presidents and officials have been talking about it many times before, but thats a big if they do) then i bet some big billionaire will step in and buy Rangers or Celtic since they have the support and big stadiums and will put some serious money and they will be top clubs again.
    Last edited by james; 05-17-2012 at 10:41 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cosmos, Wednesday, Celtic. I think there may be a difference in the quality/glamour ratio.

Besides, we all know the only reason they chose those 2 to play so they could use a Nike ball.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post

Liverpool just finished 8th place, there worst finish since 1994. That said many teams would be happy with a 8th place finish. But not top club this year thats for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was on ticketmaster and tickets they have for Toronto FC supporters is 89 dollars.....wtf... (including random 14 dollar fee for what????)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^All the hard work that tickemaster does for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoy watching the Liverpool "superstars" minus Johnson, Agger, Gerrard, Carroll, potentially Henderson, Downing, and Reina

i am sure this is what everyone is paying the big bucks for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK - we get it - you don't like the fact the game is happening - can you get over it now?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My GOD THEY KILLED KENNY!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I think the thought of SkyDome did.

IIRC, LFC changed their manager just before the last friendly they played there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And to add further fuel to the fire......

"The event is incorporated in D.C. United season ticket holders' packages."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/wfc/2012/ne...us-july-28-rfk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Enjoy watching the Liverpool "superstars" minus Johnson, Agger, Gerrard, Carroll, potentially Henderson, Downing, and Reina

i am sure this is what everyone is paying the big bucks for
    This is utterly not true and Prizby knows it.

a) the Euro ends 20 days before the friendly. And that is for the teams in the final! England is going nowhere near that Final.

b) I spoke to one of the organizers on Friday night and the entire team is contractually obligated to appear.

As Rafa would say: FACT!

I know Prizby does not want this to happen. As a Liverpool fan I happen to agree. The timing is terrible. But, respectfully, spreading disinformation is representative of everything that is wrong with social media and as one of the most prolific users of social media I would expect you to take a higher ground on that.

Disagree, agrue the point, but do not knowingly lie about the facts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any idea how well this is selling?