Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Oh boy. Well, good talkin' to ya. I'm done for now. See you in the "TFC-Columbus post game rant thread."
    Relax. It's just a little sarcasm. We're all TFC fans here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How's it ironic, exactly? Stevanovic is the best player on the team, head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of pace and technical skill. That doesn't mean anything when everyone around him is horrible and/or disinterested.

You gotta think that even if the guy's an asshole, at least some of the time when he's shaking his head at boneheaded moves by his team mates, he just might be on to something.
    Interesting argument. I've heard it somewhere else with respect to two different players. Didn't hold a lot of water for lots of people. Don't think it will this time either, unless people are hypocrites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    DR... that's your assessment of him. But you'll find a ton of people who disagree with you.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but it goes to show that it's not as cut and dried as everyone says.

Results wise, Stevanovic hasn't done anything. I mean aren't goals and assists supposed to be what he does?
    He does a lot of things well, and he also holds the ball for too long. This is not always because the rest of the team isn't showing for him. That's a common cop all to commonly used IMHO (albeit often true).

He will often make the wrong choice and try and take on 2 or 3 players instead of a clear option for support behind him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He runs to nowhere because he gets no delivery. He fails to use his team mates because they repeatedly refuse to run forward or make space. He's also been prevented from shining when he gets played at forward instead of the left wing, where he thrives.

I only WISH that giving Stevanovic more time was this team's problem. It isn't. The skill level on this team is low - I think even you will agree on that - and the more likely outcome is that Stevanovic will play only as good as everyone else on the team, rather than everyone else on the team playing as good as Stevanovic.

We have a few good pieces, but we're miles and miles from complete (or even passable). We're like a deformed, unbalanced bodybuilder who only works out three or four muscles in his entire body. It's not a competitive position, to put it mildly.
    I clearly remember him not using Borman on the overlap twice last match, and turning back rather than using his team mates.. I think he's a good player, he just needs to learn that you aren't gonig to be given the space and time in this league. Oh and stay on your feet son..

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Winter also cautioned that it would take time. In this league, a team can flounder in the first half and still qualify for the playoffs with a strong finish to the season.
    I look forward to pulling up this comment of yours on the day we mathematically get eliminated from the playoffs. We're front-end loaded on home games this year. That means points later in the year are going to be fewer and fewer and harder to get.

You know who will be a real threat? Sporting Kansas. They don't have a game at home until June 9, already have a road win, already have 4 points and they have two games in hand on us. THAT is a team that expect a "strong finish to the season." Not us. For us to succeed later in the year, we need to fill the huge gaps we have all over the place, from front to back. We need skill. We have very little of that.
    Well as long as you're right in the end? Myself I'd dread having to be right about something so bloody pessimistic and frustrating but to each his own.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Where as I don't think we will make the playoffs either, but I will bookmark this post and more than happily eat my words if we do...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04...e-academy-home
    http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/laying-down-roots
    http://www.torontofc.ca/player/doneil-henry
    http://www.torontofc.ca/player/nicholas-lindsay
    http://www.torontofc.ca/player/keith-makubuya
    http://www.torontofc.ca/player/ashtone-morgan
    http://www.torontofc.ca/player/matt-stinson
    http://www.eyeweekly.com/city/sports...-they-re-sorry
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/..._fc_derosario/
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/...to_fc_tickets/

do you want me to keep going?
    or would you like to invalidate:

- a promised price freeze
    - 4 academy graduates
    - a new million $ training facility
    - the clubs public apology to fans and acknowledgment of failure
    - the town hall meetings
    - the dero trade
    - a free home opener

as worthless, meaningless gestures by a club that's no better than they were five years ago?
    All those things don't guarantee an improvement on the field, which is what it's all about.

This team is owned by a disfunctional organisation.
    I applaud their efforts to try and improve but the squad is no stronger now than at the beginning and fan apathy is at an all time low. It's going to be hard to convince a lot of those supporters to return.

Don't forget MLSE owns the biggest ice hockey team in the world and they know more about hockey than soccer, but the Leafs are a joke and haven't won the Cup since 1967.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^That I get

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    He does a lot of things well, and he also holds the ball for too long. This is not always because the rest of the team isn't showing for him. That's a common cop all to commonly used IMHO (albeit often true).

He will often make the wrong choice and try and take on 2 or 3 players instead of a clear option for support behind him.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. LOL

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBrace View Post
    I clearly remember him not using Borman on the overlap twice last match, and turning back rather than using his team mates.. I think he's a good player, he just needs to learn that you aren't gonig to be given the space and time in this league. Oh and stay on your feet son..
    So, what a minute, give him time?

Much like guys like Nani and Cristiano Ronaldo were with United?

Difference is at that level you have teammates who can support you and you have other avenues (cup matches, reserves, etc) to bring you along slowly.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    All those things don't guarantee an improvement on the field, which is what it's all about.

I applaud their efforts to try and improve but the squad is no stronger now than at the beginning and fan apathy is at an all time low. It's going to be hard to convince a lot of those supporters to return.

Don't forget MLSE owns the biggest ice hockey team in the world and they know more about hockey than soccer, but the Leafs are a joke and haven't won the Cup since 1967.
    As much as I hate MLSE and am not a Leaf fan, MLSE hasn't owned the Leafs since 1967.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See you in the "TFC-Columbus post game rant thread."
    This is one thing we can all believe in - unfortunately!

Well played sir.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I hate MLSE and am not a Leaf fan, MLSE hasn't owned the Leafs since 1967.
    They "run" them then....which is even worse !

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They haven't run the Leafs since 1967 either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    I approve this post and this thread. This is how I feel as well.

Some people only see negatives, some people only see positives, some people see things the way they are.
    Thank you. There is not much more I can add. It is that simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What MLSE is most guilty of is a lack of imagination. Sure, they make a load of money -- but if they (the Leafs) were much more successful they would make a load more money.

One of the biggest drawbacks of being owned by a pension fund is the the reliance the fund has on predictable revenues. They are not interested in winning cups -- they are interested in a 7% annualized return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, what a minute, give him time?

Much like guys like Nani and Cristiano Ronaldo were with United?

Difference is at that level you have teammates who can support you and you have other avenues (cup matches, reserves, etc) to bring you along slowly.

I meant he won't have the space and time on the pitch, because the defenders just run straight at you...

I think it's more of an ego thing, he hold on to the ball because he figures his teammate are shit. When he's run out of options , he goes down trying to draw a foul. This will change.(I hope)

I more concerned with his fitness. He can't seem to finish a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's sad that this thread has gone the way it has. How is it acceptable for pessimists to outright flame people who are seeing positives about the team we support on a Red Patch Boys supporters board? Discussion should be encouraged, but, fuck me, why do we let these people dominate our boards?? How does seeing positives AND negatives turn you into a 'fanboy' or 'Kool aid drinker' around here?? It gets really tiresome. The sad part is, we lose quality contributors to the board because these clowns are in every thread spewing their anti-TFC bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    What MLSE is most guilty of is a lack of imagination. Sure, they make a load of money -- but if they (the Leafs) were much more successful they would make a load more money.

One of the biggest drawbacks of being owned by a pension fund is the the reliance the fund has on predictable revenues. They are not interested in winning cups -- they are interested in a 7% annualized return.
    MLSE is guilty of trying to exploit the fan base in Toronto, except that in the case of the Raptors, TFC, and the Marlies, the jig is up. If ticket prices are not scaled back to reasonable levels, the attendance for 3 of their 4 sports properties will continue to decrease.

MLSE has also demonstrated a willingness to invest singinificant financial recources in all of their franchises (justifiably so), although it can definitely be questioned as to whether or not the resources were used wisely.

Believe me, MLSE would love nothing more than to exceed current revenues with all of their clubs routinely qualifying for the post season.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 04-19-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeffro,

I am all for discussion, but this gets tiresome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Jeffro,

I am all for discussion, but this gets tiresome.

I totally agree, at least add something of value to the conversation...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's sad that this thread has gone the way it has. How is it acceptable for pessimists to outright flame people who are seeing positives about the team we support on a Red Patch Boys supporters board? Discussion should be encouraged, but, fuck me, why do we let these people dominate our boards?? How does seeing positives AND negatives turn you into a 'fanboy' or 'Kool aid drinker' around here?? It gets really tiresome. The sad part is, we lose quality contributors to the board because these clowns are in every thread spewing their anti-TFC bullshit.
    QFFT

plus Quoted for Kool-Aid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn't always like this. It's gradually gotten worse because some supporters are fed up after years of fultility, and I can understand that. The organization has to be held accountable for the poor product on the pitch.

What I don't understand is the need to demean those who are willing to be patient. I think it is important to have realistic expectations at this point in particular, because the organization appears to finally be heading in the right direction.

It would be also be great if people can focus on the positive and negative aspects following a match; the tactical approach, individual player performances, etc. I don't understand the point in going on an anti MLSE rant directed at the previous management regime. What's done is done, and we are entering a new era of football that will hopefully yield positive results.

I don't like the fact that TFC is starting over, but for all intent purposes, I am judging this club like an expansion team, ticket prices not withstanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It wasn't always like this. It's gradually gotten worse because some supporters are fed up after years of fultility, and I can understand that. The organization has to be held accountable for the poor product on the pitch.

What I don't understand is the need to demean those who are willing to be patient. I think it is important to have realistic expectations at this point in particular, because the organization appears to finally be heading in the right direction.

It would be also be great if people can focus on the positive and negative aspects following a match; the tactical approach, individual player performances, etc. I don't understand the point in going on an anti MLSE rant directed at the previous management regime. What's done is done, and we are entering a new era of football that will hopefully yield positive results.

I don't like the fact that TFC is starting over, but for all intent purposes, I am judging this club like an expansion team, ticket prices not withstanding.
    It's shitty but I mean what else can you do other than be patient?

Protest? Storm the field? Boo?

I'm willing to ride it out a bit. Been there with hockey in the past and going through it right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post

There are no guarantees. There are a lot of other teams in the league also trying to win.

And this is a single-entity, salary capped league. You can't simply outspend the other teams. Now, I've been as critical of MLSE as anyone else, but for specific reasons. Yes, of course, they want a 7% return (though they've settled for 5%, haven't they?), that alone doesn't mean they can't win championships.

When it comes to TFC, MLSE made some very poor decisions and took far too long to correct them. But they were specific decisions. They put in field turf (oh, sure, maybe it was the city or the CNE or someone else, whatever, when they'd made enough money and there was enough pressure grass was put in), they hired inexperienced people - and not even very many of them, did they hire any scouts? There wasn't even an assistant GM for years - they hired people on short-term contracts which limited the number of people who were willing to take the jobs, they didn't spend for a DP for years, and so on.

So, there are no guarantees, but they do now seem to be running the team in such a way that it can compete for a championship in a salary-capped league.

That wasn't true for the first four years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm willing to ride it out a bit. Been there with hockey in the past and going through it right now.
    Exactly. Besides, compared to enduring the Harold Ballard years as a Leaf fan in the 80's, this is child's play.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No... I'm talking about my real life. Not the Leafs. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely!!!!!

I still believe.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storming the field at the end of the first year is one of my best memories to date of being a TFC fan!