Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hope he gets the transfer approval. Would love to see him in EPL again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local boy goes home...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird. Not sure I see why that's the obvious fit. Spurs already have arguably the best midfield in the world.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no direct quotes from Becks but a lot from Redknapp... wonder if it's a ploy by Spurs to put pressure on Becks

though i don't really see whats in it for Becks to go on loan this time
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Weird. Not sure I see why that's the obvious fit. Spurs already have arguably the best midfield in the world.
    I don't know, Beckham would be a good alternative to Lennon every once in a while. He can be frustrating to watch sometimes and Beckham's service is miles ahead of Lennon's. When Redknapp goes with Crouch up front I think it would make sense to have someone like Beckham on the field. Someone who's going to put the ball on his head on demand.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    no direct quotes from Becks but a lot from Redknapp... wonder if it's a ploy by Spurs to put pressure on Becks

though i don't really see whats in it for Becks to go on loan this time
    It's the pro athlete in him. He wants to play against the highest competition he can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Truth to that Pachuco. But even though Lennon's not been that great this year, he was clearly preferred to Beckham on the England MNT.

My guess is that Beckham would be more of an insurance policy, in case someone gets hurt (VdW only just back from injury)
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    It's the pro athlete in him. He wants to play against the highest competition he can.
    The fact that he is so adamant to go back to European whenever he can tells me something about the level of the MLS. It's just not that competitive.

I realize he sat for most of the year, but I also look at others who have been keen on getting that extra playing time in order to fulfill that competitive need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Beckham goes, Bentley has to be on his way out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great cover move if true from Spurs. This Spurs team are on the brink of greatness, next year methinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Beckham leaves LA it will be a loss for the MLS. But he's definitely good enough to be playing in Europe, I just hope that he's not becoming injury prone in the twilight of his career. That's the only real risk for Becks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milky View Post
    If Beckham leaves LA it will be a loss for the MLS. But he's definitely good enough to be playing in Europe, I just hope that he's not becoming injury prone in the twilight of his career. That's the only real risk for Becks.
    Pretty sure this would be a loan deal the same way he was loaned to Milan. He would be back in the summer to play for L.A.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd have to argue pretty hard to prove that...Barca?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post
    I think even you would agree Schweinsteiger, Robben, Ribery und Van Bommel is superior as well.

That white jersey team in Madrid isn't half-bad either...
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post
    I hear you guys. Let's call it one of the top 3 or 4 midfields in the world.

Bale is the best winger in the world. Modric has been a stud, probably the best CM in England. VdW has been terrific too. Lennon is probably the weak link.

As a group, they're in the same conversation as Barca or BM.

Spurs MF definitely superior to RM, imho, I'm not sure RM MFs are in the super elite group really.

But thinking about Barca, Xavi and Iniesta...jeez the captain of Argentina can hardly get a game. OK I got a little excited about where Spurs probably rank there!
    Last edited by ensco; 01-02-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other than the name recognition and the jersey sales, I don't see the point in this...they already have a winger in David bentlely who makes great crosses and is excellent on set piece plays, but is too slow to defend in the prem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bentley is injured. Frequently.
    Beckahm wants to stay local (near or in London-His house in in Sawbridgeworth and he was boirn in Leytonstone) ....and he wants to play for a decent team who is challenging for the title and in Champs. League. Plus, Harry is a Manager MANY players would love to play for. Also, his Family are Spurs fans.
    We need cover on the wings and Harry believes in a good Pro, shwoing the kids how to do it...like Teddy Sheringham did. Beckham can be a good role model.
    It's a win-win all round.

FYI- We dont need the money from shirt sales. Spurs are quite secure financially.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand why beckham wants to go there, I don't understand why spurs would be interested. I'd rank vdv, modric, bale, huddlestone, Lennon, Kranjcar, jenas and palacios ahead of becks...i think he's competing with bentley, sandos and one or two others (is o'hara still there?). I realize that they all play different roles, but no matter how you look at it that's a very deep and very good midfield with a lot of options.

I realize that spurs don't need money, but no team is going to turn money away are they? It's a reason to sign him over someone else...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must add: I know MLS wants as much exposure as possible but this offseason / start of season loan business is becoming a bit much. Clubs are paying a lot of money for these players and they are being worn down by playing all these extra games then returning to MLS.

I know it won't happen and from a business perspective there's probably a near bullet-proof case it wouldn't make sense... but i wish instead of the DP spot they'd just implement some kind of limited luxury tax system. 5M in payroll you can have an average salary of 166k. Roughly speaking you could split it so that on a 30 man roster you could have 10 guys earning 300k and 20 earning around 100. That's quite a bit of quality spread around the field rather than throwing all that money on one guy. Ah well .. patience is a virtue i guess. So we'll continue to see the million dollar man pass the ball of to some guy earning 45k a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you guys. Let's call it one of the top 3 or 4 midfields in the world.

Bale is the best winger in the world.
    With regards to wingers I would take Ronaldo over Bale anytime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I understand why beckham wants to go there, I don't understand why spurs would be interested. I'd rank vdv, modric, bale, huddlestone, Lennon, Kranjcar, jenas and palacios ahead of becks...i think he's competing with bentley, sandos and one or two others (is o'hara still there?). I realize that they all play different roles, but no matter how you look at it that's a very deep and very good midfield with a lot of options.

I realize that spurs don't need money, but no team is going to turn money away are they? It's a reason to sign him over someone else...
    just returning from surgery, back I think. there was some talk of a loan so he could get some minutes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ its hard to define little chrissy's position, he's plays too much of a free role to pidgeon hole. That said, Bale has a huge advantage given that he's not one of the biggest cunts in the world - and character counts for something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    With regards to wingers I would take Ronaldo over Bale anytime.
    I get that. But it's close. Ronaldo's getting a real reputation for disappearing in big games.

I wonder what Ronaldo's transfer value today is, and what Bale's is. I suspect they're very similar, mostly because Bale is only 21.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that. But it's close. Ronaldo's getting a real reputation for disappearing in big games.

I wonder what Ronaldo's transfer value today is, and what Bale's is. I suspect they're very similar, mostly because Bale is only 21.
    imagine if Southampton had some sort of sell on clause for Bale. ch ching!
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bale is looking a fine player for sure but Ronaldo is still only 25 and at Man U he averaged a goal every two games, at RM his stats are incredible, it is almost a goal a game. I did not realise his stats at RM were so impressive, literally according to wiki it is played 45 and scored 43! Even for Portugal he is a goal every three games.

Bale on the other hand is no where near the stat level of Ronaldo, he is of course 4 years younger and at times he has been played as a left wing back but he needs to show the form he is currently showing over the next few seasons to be considered as the same standard as Ronaldo. I understand why a lot of people rate Bale at the moment and it would cost a big sum to get him from Spurs but as of yet he cannot be considered to be the best winger int he world, Ronaldo has shown he is the best for a prolonged period of time at the highest level for the biggest clubs in the world. Bale is not in his class yet in my opinion.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not being an ass, but WHO are you referring to?

My bad, I didn't read the whole thing. Bale? I think it's a stretch to consider him top 5. I think if you polled people around here, he wouldn't be top 5, maybe not even top 10. I find that any half-decent Brit gets a lot more credit than they deserve, but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Juanito; 01-03-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    I think even you would agree Schweinsteiger, Robben, Ribery und Van Bommel is superior as well.

That white jersey team in Madrid isn't half-bad either...
    I was thinking along the same line. There's this dude Sneijder that I hear is pretty half-decent so are some guys named Xavi and Iniesta.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    Bentley is injured. Frequently.
    Beckahm wants to stay local (near or in London-His house in in Sawbridgeworth and he was boirn in Leytonstone) ....and he wants to play for a decent team who is challenging for the title and in Champs. League. Plus, Harry is a Manager MANY players would love to play for. Also, his Family are Spurs fans.
    We need cover on the wings and Harry believes in a good Pro, shwoing the kids how to do it...like Teddy Sheringham did. Beckham can be a good role model.
    It's a win-win all round.

FYI- We dont need the money from shirt sales. Spurs are quite secure financially.
    This makes perfect sense to me.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Juan View Post
    I'm not being an ass, but WHO are you referring to?

My bad, I didn't read the whole thing. Bale? I think it's a stretch to consider him top 5. I think if you polled people around here, he wouldn't be top 5, maybe not even top 10. I find that any half-decent Brit gets a lot more credit than they deserve, but that's just my opinion.
    1) He's Welsh not British
    2) Clearly you haven't been watching Spurs in Champs League. He's freaking magic. I agree he isn't top 5, but top 10? Almost certainly.

Edit: If you actually haven't been following Spurs in CL at all, heres some quotes from after he single handedly beat Inter Milan and turned Maicon (one of the best defenders in the world) into a pylon http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...european-press
    Last edited by Waggy; 01-03-2011 at 12:23 PM.