Page 36 of 87 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 2589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, the puropse of DP is to entice players to come to the MLS not give to MLS players with the exception of Donovan. What would happen to the league's cost certainity if every star player who is a career MLS player decides they want DP money? A lot of markets don't even have one DP now. then every team would have two or three and the business model that they built over the last 15 years is out the window.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Hmmm...on this one I am going to say you're probably right. I knew his first season from Deportivo Cali was a loan but I would have thought for 2010 that he was on a MLS contract.

Nix that then. There may not be a precedent then and MLS might still negate any existing player upgrading to a DP contract.
    There is a precedent. Emilio with DC United. Arguably GBS with his incredibly bonus laden contract
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero is not getting a DP contract in MLS. I have said it a million times and will say it again. It will not happen. His only upside is 100K to 200K in allocation money that teams can throw at him per year, just like TFC did. If he was patient, that would have likely happened again next year, plus he would have kept his endorsments etc. And no team is paying a transfer fee for him. So now he is faced with a situation where has to wait for the TFC situation to settle...which is where he was a few months ago...but because of his stupid moves has damaged his brand considerably for no upside.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had this discussion before 117. That is obviously the original purpose of the DP rule. However, there is no legal framework that makes it exclusive to that purpose. That's why there was the possibility of giving it to Donovan although they did it initially under the guise of a "grandfather" clause. The league would have to jump through legal hoops (and depending on whether the union is willing to fight) could face down with the union on whether an existing player can also obtain that designation. Not to mention, they'd have to consider labour laws in the US on excluding certain types of players from these contracts. It's a legal nightmare. I'd say it's 50/50 that they'd allow it regardless of their initial "purpose" in creating the rule.

Not to mention, DeRo's training with Celtic might just be the excuse needed to "Donovan" the whole issue anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point I don't think it's good business even if MLS would allow it (which I think they would have a concern with it although I think a much less problem today than they would have say 2 years ago.)

If I am going to be honest with regards to what is best for this team and even what is best for DeRo, I think a trade elsewhere (San Jose a very good possibility) is necessary. Then let San Jose deal with the contract negotiation which I think is possible considering the return of the prodigal son. We get cap room by offloading a contract, the drama surrounding the poisoned relationship between DeRo and the Front Office goes away and we get a fresh start. Hopefully DeRo gets a satisfactory contract from San Jose, maybe an extension providing him financial stability and everyone moves forward.

And we struggle to make the playoffs while San Jose pushes for an appearance in the finals.

By the way, yeah you're not going to convince me if you pick and choose facts (or avoid answering a question when it doesnt suit your point). Because I am just going to offer the counter point of view. Is that not proper debating?
    Unfortunately, this sounds about right. I'm just curious as to whether San Jose or any other MLS club will be willing to meet DeRo's salary demands which in essence would grant him DP status...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 12-30-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im sure its been discussed earlier but just heard on CP24 that DeRo is coming back, he is just over there to train. Apparently the words of his agent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corpand View Post
    Im sure its been discussed earlier but just heard on CP24 that DeRo is coming back, he is just over there to train. Apparently the words of his agent.
    Translation: Celtic dont want him.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another gem for you. Not only have they not responded to requests to renegotiate, they haven't even told him if they are enforcing the option on his contract.

Who here works under such uncertainty?
    absolutely ridiculous. they knew that de ro was already pissed, and deciding what to do with him should surely be the first priority given the effect it would have on salary cap/dp issues. not to mention he's the captaion and star player. treat him right. yeah he's a bit of a diva, but jesus, don't let it just drift by while you take over 3 months to decide on mariner.

don't like how de ro did it, but really can't blame him for doing it. such an amateur hour shitshow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freddie Ljungberg and Dwayne De Rosario witnessed Celtic's win over Motherwell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post

That blonde is smokin!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real DeRo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random Google search for "Dero"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Hold on now. I never said he wasn't too old to keep. In fact, I've stated way back in this thread that on his current contract terms, we'd be silly not to consider keeping him.

However, he isn't looking at coming back on his current contract terms. He wants that ripped up. He wants the DP tag and salary to go along with it. Since HE is forcing the issue, it is prudent business to ask am I investing in an asset that is going to rise in value, maintain it, or decline over the term HE is asking me to commit to.

Clearly, aging players drop off in production. Will it be next year? Maybe. The year after? Maybe. The year after that? Maybe. Point is that a drop off WILL happen at some point and when it does do I have years remaining on my "investment" that will handcuff the team moving forward?

It's not unthinkable. But which is a more likely scenario? He will beat the odds and continue on into his late 30's and early 40's like Preki? Or that he will follow the common trend and witness a decline in his skill set?

Investing in older players, significantly investing in them, DP slot and all, is risky.

For example, Angel is 35 yet no one wants him on a DP contract.

For example, Christian Gomez was 32 when he won the MLS MVP. When he was 33, he tallied 10 goals and 9 assists and got an All Star award for his credit.

When he was 34? He scored 3. When he was 36? He was playing for a USSF Division II team in Miami.

You can't predict the future but if you play the odds, you generally win your share of poker games.
    Ok fair enough. I do believe I mis-understood you after reading this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo supposedly going to speak later today about the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    The real DeRo...
    nope....wrong site,basketball who cares

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    DeRo supposedly going to speak later today about the situation.

I hope they interview him from his home in Malvern so we can hear the sirens and gun shots in the background.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Big Decision

http://tinyurl.com/2urx8rh

The choice of a new Coach or General Manager for Toronto FC are big decisions indeed. But they are not the biggest issue at hand!

Thoughts on why TFC needs to get the Dwayne De Rosario situation sorted out quickly and correctly if there is any hope of turning the franchise around in 2011 and beyond.

Your comments are always welcome and appreciated.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    I hope they interview him from his home in Malvern so we can hear the sirens and gun shots in the background.

Maybe if there is video, we'll see the guys taking shots at the window are Rollins and Chevy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think this has been posted yet.

Ouch...

http://www.torontofc.vitalfootball.c....asp?a=7506942

"We are not sure, but Toronto FC should have contacted De Rosario or his agent direct (perhaps they did with no joy) instead of talking through the media which has now made the club look like a laughing stock not only in Canada but across Europe as well.

This whole pathetic scenario could have easily been avoided if the correct steps been taken by a player desperate for an improved contract and a club who continues to alienate its loyal fan base.

Toronto FC's profile has been raised in Europe but in a negative way and now the club looks like a complete shambles in Toronto as well as outside of Toronto."

Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 12-30-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe if there is video, we'll see the guys taking shots at the window are Rollins and Chevy.
    Nah. I figure some fanboy would step in and take the bullet for him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Nah. I figure some fanboy would step in and take the bullet for him.

Wouldn't be me...I am too busy counting the money I am apparently making from just knowing DeRo. Gotta line up the Benjamins yo...

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    This whole pathetic scenario could have easily been avoided if the correct steps been taken by a player desperate for an improved contract and a club who continues to alienate its loyal fan base.
    Not sure how this incident alienates the "loyal fan base."

Signing DeRo to a DP contract would be a slap in the face to fans who deserve real improvement.

This? Simply an agent trying to force an issue and playing Celtic, TFC and MLS at the same time.

DeRo? He either knew about it and went along or needs to rethink who he trusts.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Exactly. Based on form and evidence. By your rationale, we would have passed on a 32 year old Angel who would have provided 58 goals in 3 years. We would have passed on a Valderrama, Beckham, Schelotto or Moreno. We would pass players that after 32 had sterling years and helped their clubs to success beyond their wildest dreams.

Age should be an issue to consider, I am not denying it. But you are relying entirely too much on age and not sufficiently enough on form and impact. You can't quantify the odds so you make them sound enormous.

In the meantime, this team signs Mista to a million dollar contract and we barely say boo. Go figure. In fact, after his first game, I specifically raise the concern of his conditioning and was shot down on this board and was told to give him "time" to get into shape. Wow... just wow.
    Funny you'd mention Mista, who is 32 Dangers of aging.

I feel like we are arguing without really quantifying what we are arguing about.

I have no issue with DeRo playing out his current contract. It was a 4 year deal given to a 30 year old player. We have realized some offensive output over the first 2 years of that pact and I would expect the offense to continue in some form over the last 2. Probably a decline but who knows.

I might even entertain an optional extension on that 4 year deal, at a lower salary, in order to provide the player with guaranteed income and generate some cap relief while still (hopefully) realizing some offense that remains in the tank.

But because the player is forcing a new contract discussion, I would not entertain a richer, DP deal under any circumstances with this player. Since you mention form and impact, he has had no impact on team success. Zero.

You aren't going to take my DP slot as a zero impact player. Yes, goals went in. And so did missed opportunities as he shot from 40 yards out and managed to hit the hot dog vendors. The team has had no success under his leadership and that isn't worth the most coveted and strategic roster spot that I can give as a Manager in MLS.

From a skill stand point, I am not going to risk being stuck with a DP that is 35-37 (35 if he got a DP on his current deal and 37 if he got an extension) while his offense most likely will decline.

Any talk of a DP contract with this player is a non-starter for me. He doesn't have admirable qualities when it comes to leadership and his skills will decline at some point. Too risky.

But ironically, to appease the fans, one might just sign him to that DP contract and let the Maple Leaf Syndrome take over.

Everyone loves the Status Quo in Toronto. <-- that should be a chant
    Last edited by Pookie; 12-30-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a mess! On one hand Dero signed a four year contract and nobody put a gun too his head at the time and he's been whining about it ever since. On the other hand TFC made DeGuzman a DP and he's been shite since he got here and Dero's been carrying the load. The real story here is how MLSE has managed to somehow screw up yet again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Not sure how this incident alienates the "loyal fan base."

It's not so much the incident, it's how it has been handled. Really, from the very start with DeRo - a lot of people were thrilled when he was given to, er, traded to TFC but then there was a week or two before he signed the contract and people were complaining then. Then there was the contract complaints in the press, then the cheque writing and apology and now this.

What's alienating to some fans is that the organization let it get this far in the first place - and the fear as you state in another post that the Maple Leaf Syndrome will kick in and they'll actually sign him to a DP contract.

Long after DeRo retires we'll still be supporting this team and we'd like to hope this kind of thing won't repeat with other players in the future.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ agreed... or +1 or whatever it is you crazy kids are saying nowadays.

My fear, as you know, is that they listen to the fans way too much. Too much short term thinking to respond to the "poll of the day" and not enough emphasis on team building.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post

The blonde in the middle looks pissed, is Dero rubbing Ljungberg's leg or something?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. Rollins tweeted an hour ago that TFC says paperwork is not done.

Just had a brief conversation with #TFC - the paperwork for De Rosario's trial is not yet through, but expected soon. #MLS #Celtic
    But John Molinaro tweeted TWO hours ago that Celtic says everything is fine.

Neil Lennon claiming Dero situation "has been resolved so he can carry on." trying to get confirmation from TFC, MLS & others.
    If this doesn't tell you that each side is playing PR games, I dunno what would. And if the "delay" doesn't tell you how much TFC is also playing games themselves, I don't know what would. You'd think 2 days later the "routine" paperwork would be done.

BTW...how do you link tweets?
    Last edited by Roogsy; 12-30-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Sky Sports News

Celtic in clear over trialist
    Bhoys will not be punished by Toronto over De Rosario

Last updated: 29th December 2010**

De Rosario: Under contract with Toronto FC

SKY SPORTS ON SKY

There's more live football on Sky Sports than ever before, including the Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, Clydesdale Bank Premier League, England away Euro 2012 qualifiers and La Liga. With four live Sky Sports channels, as well as Sky Sports News, you'll never miss a moment on Sky. Click here for more.
    Related links
    Teams
    Celtic
    Players
    Dwayne De Rosario
    Also see
    SPL fixtures
    SPL table
    SPL stats
    MLS side Toronto FC will help Celtic secure Dwayne De Rosario rather than look to punish them for having their player on trial.

Bhoys boss Neil Lennon recently confirmed the club were looking at the 32-year-old Canada international with a view to securing his services.

It later emerged that De Rosario had two years left on his contract with Toronto FC and had not been given permission to travel.

However, the Canadian side are now of the understanding that Celtic believed all the necessary paperwork was in place and that they hold no grudge against the team.

"We talked with Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell and he indicated that Celtic had been told by both the player and his agent that they had permission," a league official told mlssoccer.

"When we are told that by a club like Celtic we are inclined to not move towards a legal action and instead work with them to secure the proper paperwork."