0 Thread(s)

i love this thread
    06-18-09 i was there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superstar1976 View Post
    And, at the end of the day, I have no problem with a company wanting to maximize revenue........I just think that they are risking the entire production with how they have handled this and pushed the limits too far.
    I agree with this. In many ways MLSE are masters of pushing the fan all the way to the edge where they are "almost" ready to leave but don't walk away.

I've always contended that in the long run this will be a serious problem, for all their teams, especially if they get some direct competition (like a second NHL team).

I've been a serious raptors fan for quite some time (I watched 70+ games for probably 10 years straight). Losing seasons all over the place, trying to find some redeeming value... But this year for the first time I cut down a lot of the number of outings to the ACC because the first thought in my mind was "it's not worth it" and overall i just enjoyed the games more at home considering the financial damage of going more regularly. Take that a step further and you have people who no longer go to games and got tired of the product on TV, they are effectively no longer customers.

MLSE is going do eventually hit the wall hard when they find out it's incredibly hard to regain customers they've lost compared to keeping good relations with the ones they have. And that has to exist on more than doing JUST BARELY enough every year to prevent people from walking away.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for the past 2 years i have stopped going back to Toronto to watch the Leafs. Just like you AG i find that "it's not worth it"

I made an exception last year for Doug Gilmour night and this years final Leafs and habs game with my montreal buddies.

I honestly believe MLSE is feeling the hit on the decrease of revenue for Leafs games, "the last minute club" says it all. Even though they are "sold out" at the ACC the seats are empty and beer sales and 15$ prime rib sandwich sales are down as well just like at BMO field
    06-18-09 i was there

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that Brian Burke is doing his best to turn the leafs into a winner and I'm confident that it might happen. But...I'm on the brink.

The leafs we see today are not the ones that I remember as a kid. It's not the team (or crowd) that made them part of the lifeblood of this city.

It's not like Ballard wasn't a snake (he was), but the leafs just aren't what they once were. The pathetic attempt to lay claim to being canada's team just shows how out of touch people down at the mother ship really are.

I think I may be done. I think I may be done with the leafs.

Maybe it's time I stopped pretending that the hockey sweater wasn't my favorite book as a kid...it was.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokedPanda View Post
    Even though they are "sold out" at the ACC the seats are empty and beer sales and 15$ prime rib sandwich sales are down as well just like at BMO field
    I'd go to the game just for that sandwich... Kinda sad, but deliciously true...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    I know that Brian Burke is doing his best to turn the leafs into a winner and I'm confident that it might happen. But...I'm on the brink.

The leafs we see today are not the ones that I remember as a kid. It's not the team (or crowd) that made them part of the lifeblood of this city.

It's not like Ballard wasn't a snake (he was), but the leafs just aren't what they once were. The pathetic attempt to lay claim to being canada's team just shows how out of touch people down at the mother ship really are.

I think I may be done. I think I may be done with the leafs.

Maybe it's time I stopped pretending that the hockey sweater wasn't my favorite book as a kid...it was.
    This past weekend I was talking with a couple friends, one owns a pair of seasons for the Leafs (for over 10 years) and the other has a set of 4 platinum seats for the Raptors (since team inception). Both are seriously considering dropping them because of the crap product and constant raising of prices.

Years of constantly feeling like they're being gouged has taken it's toll and just not enjoying it anymore.

On a side note, the company I work is taking about dropping their box at the ACC. They don't feel they get the value back in taking clients to games for the cost they lay out. This may all be anecdotal, but I seem to be hearing it more often.

As I noted, I'm going to be dropping my extra seats when I renew next year. I can't find anyone to go to most game anymore.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    I'd go to the game just for that sandwich... Kinda sad, but deliciously true...
    2 years ago i bought three extra prime rib sandwiches to bring back to montreal after eating one at the game..... 60$ on 4 sandwiches, i hope my old teachers from Clinton PS read this!

smoked meat sucks! Bitondo's or San Fran's steak sandwich or a ACC prime rib sandwich taste way better!
    06-18-09 i was there

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go to a few Raptor's games a year and make sure to visit Jimmy for a sandwich. The man is a carving master. Toss on some horseradish-mayo and the spices and I am beginning to drool a little

Sorry to derail the thread... I think I have made my point on this for the last few years and I finally feel like I am at the breaking point Gonna be a real tough decision come renewal time...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokedPanda View Post
    2 years ago i bought three extra prime rib sandwiches to bring back to montreal after eating one at the game..... 60$ on 4 sandwiches, i hope my old teachers from Clinton PS read this!

smoked meat sucks! Bitondo's or San Fran's steak sandwich or a ACC prime rib sandwich taste way better!
    Bitondo's slice with a cup $5.00........hmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate on the Leafs. I was one of those hardcore too, couldn't afford to attend regularly but at least 1-2 games a year, and for the last few years now I completely turned them off. This year, I kind of got interested only to feel the same disappointment again.

Anyways, I think this thread's life is done, and sure hope MLSE representitives have read it. Had a great time at the game on Saturday.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    On the other hand, someone who has not been on the list as long (like me: Marlies pack & gold list since this year; red list since last year) may have to start at higher-priced full seasons when they are offered, just to get their foot in the door quicker -- and then try to move down to cheaper seasons seats in a following year.

But yeah, the experience of this year makes me much more wary of jumping at higher-priced seasons tickets if they are offered to me next season. Although I will go to almost every game personally, I don't always know about my 2nd seat, and it's apparently gotten very hard to get rid of expensive seats w/o eating much of the cost. Same goes for the 2-4 games a year I might not be able to make it.
    I am in the same boat with the gold list hoping to get some cheaper season's next year. If all I get offered is the expensive seats there is no way I will buy them because I prefer sitting in the supporter sections and its not hard to find tickets on here, and the prices are just ridiculous on some of the tickets. Also, I won't be getting another ransom pack as that was a complete waste of money on those Marlies tickets. I hope MLSE does the right thing, but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully they don't kill the goose that is laying them those golden eggs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    I'm not sure about how you feel about the leafs prices (hockey has always been the #1 game in town with demand to match) but with the raptors I've always felt it's more than just having the odd good season.

The team always seems to make the top10 in the NBA fan cost index (with the exception being the most recent year where the team was 15th probably due to fx rates at the time) and to me if you consistently want to charge a top10 price, I want a top 10 product.

It's not enough to occasionally put a playoff team out there, what we should be getting is something a cut above. On the flip side, if prices were low and the product is what it is currently, I'd certainly still be pissed about not winning but I'd definitely be more open to going to games as there's value to it.

Where they are right now is just the worst of both worlds and on average that seems to be what they like to deliver.