Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I think "Troll" is being facetious - though I don't know why. Chad played exceptionally today.

- Scott
    I think he's just pointing out the mood swings this board goes through sometimes. We're collective wrist-slitters when we lose and we're going to win the MLS Cup when we win, every time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold on. It wasn't long ago that the "Chad Barrett is shit" thread was on here.

So, he scores a brace and is a hero all of a sudden?

Has it occurred to anyone that he was a valuable player for us all along?

I've said it from the start and will defend it vigorously: Chad Barrett is a good player. We do well to keep him in the team.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post

I've said it from the start and will defend it vigorously: Chad Barrett is a good player. We do well to keep him in the team.
    Agreed...Keep him on...winger...and get us a DP striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post
    Agreed...Keep him on...winger...and get us a DP striker.
    Bang on. Barrett should always have been the guy who does all the work to set up our star poacher.

That's the player he is, and he's good at it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what he did with Chicago, and he was stupid effective there doing that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're making too much sense. That has no place on this board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that Barrett crosses the ball well enough to be a winger, but I like the way his hustle tires out and pressures the fullback he's facing. I like him most as a support/2nd striker. Now that our team has some width the other teams defenders can't cheat to the middle like they did last season...there will be room in the middle and he'll get chances to score this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will say that he did show a finishing touch on three shots, that he has rarely shown. I hope that he repeats it, but even when he has score in the past, alot of it seemed nervous and hurried not today.

But I have said, good winger, supporting striker. I hope he can develop into more, I have said that after two years he has not shown it, untill today, but one game a striker does not make. Even RR had a game with a couple of great strikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still think it's Chady's year!! Well done today CB!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is TFC's version of Dirk Kyut, now if only we had a Torres.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong I'm glad barrett scored both his goals, but let's face it both were pretty much can't miss opportunities. That in itself is progress I suppose, in the past he would have found some way to screw chances like that up. He probably would be working the tilt-a-whirl at the ex this summer if he managed to screw those chances up today. Enough of the negativity on my part. Good on ya chad!!!
    Last edited by habstfc; 05-08-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, he really has been genuinely terrible.

Today he played his role in the team, didnt try to do anything extraordinary, kept his head instead of running around like a chicken, found his angle, used his toe instead of trying too hard to be clever, and reaped the rewards. He should have been doing this already, but I dont want to take a thing away from him, he did good.

I'm much happier if he makes a habit of playing smart like this and continues to prove me wrong about him. Ill be delighted if i have to stop pointing out his paycheque, hot headedness, poor accuracy and poor decision making and I truly hope there are more occasions when his fans have ammunition to send me upleasant pms, question my football knowledge and give me 'i told you sos'

oh and knock it off, you know who you are.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Indeed, but I also agree with you. He gets so much shit, he undoubtedly deserves some credit for his play of late.
    credit due where credit is due, but his pay has been quite healthy since day 1, he has some bills to pay, yet.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    You know, I really wonder to myself what it is about Barrett that made him come out this year the way he has. I could've predicted he was going to have a game like this just based on the way he's been playing. Now, I'm the first guy to hate on Preki and his tactics, but maybe, just maybe Preki knows how to get the best out of a guy like Barrett. I'll be the first to give Preki credit if Barrett continues to play this way.
    It seems that way. Preki's message is getting through to Chad.

white shirt covered in alcohol stains
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, I really wonder to myself what it is about Barrett that made him come out this year the way he has. I could've predicted he was going to have a game like this just based on the way he's been playing. Now, I'm the first guy to hate on Preki and his tactics, but maybe, just maybe Preki knows how to get the best out of a guy like Barrett. I'll be the first to give Preki credit if Barrett continues to play this way.
    I agree completely. In the media Preki has done nothing but give praise to Chad or give positive critisism. It is clear that Preki understands the mental games that strikers go threw and knows how to boost Chads confidence. Not to give Preki all the credit, it is clear that Chad is a work horse who puts in the effort and home work to improve.

And he is not overpaid. He makes over 200k. Compare his salary to other consistently dangerous strikers in MLS and you will see that he clearly is not overpaid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gtaguy View Post
    are we not going over our heads.. a good game by his standards and now u want to bankroll the guy.. come on.. it's been a long time coming chad is a hard ass worker i don't disrespect that but he still owes this club a shit load more goals.. if he can put 11-15 in this year then hell ya. but to now hes paying back dues to this club.. 1 game he has has that is amazing and now you want to pay the dude more then hes worth.. Not to mention hes already on a guaranteed contract..

SWOOOSH!!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barrett has always had the skills at this level, that has been obvious. It was that "mental block" of his that kept him from scoring. Hopefully this is a start of a new Barrett.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I don't think that he's raised his level of play at all really - I think that he's finally being rewarded for what he's been doing all along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    To be fair, he deserved a lot of that shit we gave him earlier on.
    Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    chad looks like a different player this season, he's showing more patience and confidence, and his movement off the ball is vastly improved. hope he can keep it up and have a breakout season, he deserves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post
    I think Barret is very talented. He's the best winger TFC has, decent pace, good vision, and can pick some great passes. He's been involved in as many goals as DeRo this year, or it's very close.
    Quote Originally Posted by supersaint View Post
    Trust me, at this level Chad can perform, and he works his arse off. He is hard on himself when he screws up, as he should be, but he deserves some credit now, and cudos to Mo for signing him for an aging but still decent McBride, I think longterm we win that deal.
    As I said last week. Barrett's Been one of our best players and consistent players this year. No to the wall of honour thing though. And he's not overpaid. He's finally earning his salary .
    Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    I think he's just pointing out the mood swings this board goes through sometimes. We're collective wrist-slitters when we lose and we're going to win the MLS Cup when we win, every time...
    I think these comments about sum it up.. I for one have always been supportive of Chad on the boards, even though I'll be the first one to give it to him if he muffs up in a game (and by give it to him I mean "fuckin' hell Chad c'mon!" as opposed to "you're houseleague get the hell outta this country" type negative stuff)

Anyway, since his arrival Chad has been the hardest working guy on the team (maybe next to Dero) and has certainly shown he can be a good winger, can link up with Dero, can pass the ball when he doesn't rush it, and generally does have a high potential for this league. He does not have anywhere close to the god-given talent that Rooney has, but not many strikers in the world do either..

If he can consistently put the ball in the back of the net, yet stay productive when he isn't, and deal with his confidence/funk issues when he's slummping, then we'll see the best year of Chad's short career. We still need a lethal, out-and-out striker, and a winger, and a proper CB (and WB's I guess) but we're playing hard, as a team, and it's finally nice to see that..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Barrett has always had the skills at this level, that has been obvious.
    No it hasnt, and its still not certain. Playing as part of the team, linking up with a partner and scoring sitters is something every good forward should do, and 'mental blocks' shouldnt last two whole seasons.

I thought he did awesome yesterday, and I hope to see more intelligent, controlled play in the future, but he he's hardly vindicated himself and proved his detractors wrong. We've always known he was capable of scoring, but we've always known he's been inconsistent too. Its still not a given that he wont follow this up with a long drought. I hope he doesn't, nobody wants to see him scoring regularly for us more than I do.

Chad changed the way he approached the game yesterday, and benefitted from using his brain, dont pretend hes always been playing with those kind of smarts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday was nice. But Barrett has shown flashes like this before. I wouldn't really change my view on him until he proves he can get his strike rate up to a legitimate striker level over 10-15 league games.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    and needs to be put on 'The Wall of Honour'

Discuss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goal he scored against Montreal was not too shabby either, and trust me, you have to win my respect, I dont throw out accolades easily, but if everyone worked as hard as Chad does we will be ok. A couple more performances like that and I will even take back a lot of my criticism of Preki. Nothing like winning, unless you win and play good attractive football as well.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm...we make Ricky Vaughn comments about Chad and all of a sudden he starts scoring?

I think he got contact lenses.

He scored 2 goals in a good performance and 1 against a crap team from Montreal.

In the words of Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction "Let's not start sucking each others dicks yet".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand how people can dislike Barrett. Sure, he might not score as many as we want him to, but the lad busts his ass game in and game out, and for that we should be thankful. His work rate is second to none and as long as he keeps his head up (something that Preki is working on), he'll start bagging a few more.

Long live our Rooney!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better title: Chad Barrett signed the contract he was offered.

What a ridiculous thread, OP isn't even trolling that well.

If we must, we need to find more players like Barrett, who will perform above their cap hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    Better title: Chad Barrett signed the contract he was offered.

What a ridiculous thread, OP isn't even trolling that well.

If we must, we need to find more players like Barrett, who will perform above their cap hit.
    Barrett's last two performances, are in line with his salary and good contract, not 'above the cap hit.'

Other than one or two good games in the previous two seasons, he's been a waste of money.

We've had plenty of players like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with ensco. Last year in the S.J. game he scored two goals but was pretty much invisible the whole year. I hope he keeps it up but he has a long way to go before he loses the reputation he's earned the last couple of years as a non finisher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco;1015987[B
    ]You know, I really wonder to myself what it is about Barrett that made him come out this year the way he has.[/b].
    He hasn't, until this game, but it's great isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco;1015987[B
    ][/b] I could've predicted he was going to have a game like this just based on the way he's been playing.
    No you couldn't have, just like none of us could have...

I was hoping he'd have a break out game, hopefully this keeps rolling for Barrett.
    Last edited by Alonso; 05-10-2010 at 06:16 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Mexico View Post

No you couldn't have, just like none of us could have...
    I kept saying that if he could get over his mental issues, he'd be a good player. There was an issue with the "if," but there is no question to a lot of us that he has the skills and the work effort.

Let's hope its permanent. He seemed to have a lot of confidence in the post-game interview.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CHAD BARRETT

Uh Hah..

I wanna knoooow, when you learned to scoreeeee !!