Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ US and Canadian accounting would be very similar on this.

This is a subset of a bigger problem. All kinds of valuable intangible assets (including virtually everything in tech and media companies) can be depreciated, even when it makes no sense. The accounting rules were made when manufacturing businesses ruled.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Raps no playoffs, Leafs are out, Jays are starting to suck ...

If TFC can keep this up they'll own the city this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if this has been mentioned already; in case anyone is or all are yet unaware…

https://events.mlsefoundation.org/TFCRedsSoiree24

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’re up to 9th in the MLS power rankings.

“Even if you, like me, are skeptical of Toronto’s ability to keep earning results, some of their underlying numbers suggest their early-season success isn’t a fluke. Per American Soccer Analysis, Toronto are seventh in MLS in expected points. They’re creating better chances than their opponents more often than not.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Must not acknowledge that coaching was a major flaw"

"Must not....."

(Kaylin Kyle is coming the closest to admitting that so far of any MLS commentator by talking so much about how Herdman has changed the atmosphere)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba is going to play in the second edition of the 7v7 The Soccer Tournament

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    "Must not acknowledge that coaching was a major flaw"

"Must not....."

(Kaylin Kyle is coming the closest to admitting that so far of any MLS commentator by talking so much about how Herdman has changed the atmosphere)
    Lol.

Herdman is proving something to a lot of us, who were maybe not sure if the CMNT success was related to him or totally to a once in many generations talent with some once in a lifetime talents sprinkled in. I'd love to know what Herdman does for team building, culture building. I've heard he has a whole approach worked up based on the best thinking in this area. What he does could be applied in lots of places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Lol.

Herdman is proving something to a lot of us, who were maybe not sure if the CMNT success was related to him or totally to a once in many generations talent with some once in a lifetime talents sprinkled in. I'd love to know what Herdman does for team building, culture building. I've heard he has a whole approach worked up based on the best thinking in this area. What he does could be applied in lots of places.
    It’s a great story and it’s nice to see someone succeed with a people-first approach. We can all appreciate that’s a better atmosphere for everyone. Now that said, I think what needs more recognition is it sounds like the man is a straight up workaholic who eats, breathes, and sleeps football.
    He’s consistently able to clearly articulate how he scouts opposite teams, how they planned to win, and why the result was what it was. That shows the effort in preparation.

In comparison, it feels like most of his competition in the opposing coaching box are just winging it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol.

If I recall correctly, he gets into some of those details in this interview. Great listen either way.

https://youtu.be/bLv2aF53ahk?si=FB2EG5_N8kSacfTd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    If I recall correctly, he gets into some of those details in this interview. Great listen either way.

Thanks, I'll listen to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol.

Herdman is Coach Beard! (Without the beard, of course)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/opencup/status/1...078159365?s=19

Danny Dichio's Detroit FC knocks Houston out.

Are people still singing in the 23rd minute? Hard to ever hear it on Apple TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post

Thank you, great interview!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Are people still singing in the 23rd minute? Hard to ever hear it on Apple TV.
    Some...but many of the people who did so 10 years ago are no longer there - and the one section refuses to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali Curtis has been promoted to the league's "senior VP of player development", which if I know MLS and have clocked his talent correctly is a promotion to doing as little as possible.

The nepotism in this league is astounding.
    Last edited by jloome; 05-10-2024 at 07:41 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Astonishing. They're using physical asset depreciation to claim losses of value, even in cases (players getting better, facilities gaining value) where they gain.

Must've been known for decades if it was reported on during the Bill Veek era, so this is probably a crackdown based purely on it getting reporting traction. ProPublic stories get repackaged and covered by big outlets, so they're likely trying to get ahead of it.

Quite possibly doesn't apply to us, assuming our asset depreciation rules aren't as absurdly forgiving.
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^ US and Canadian accounting would be very similar on this.

This is a subset of a bigger problem. All kinds of valuable intangible assets (including virtually everything in tech and media companies) can be depreciated, even when it makes no sense. The accounting rules were made when manufacturing businesses ruled.
    Less generous in Canada (you don't use accounting treatment in Canada like you can in the US, how you "depreciate" (amortize) items is prescribed in our tax code and is more restricted). Ensco is right, however, a lot of intangible assets can be depreciated over time, even though (unlike machinery) they can increase in value over time.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-10-2024 at 08:08 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali Curtis has been promoted to the league's "senior VP of player development", which if I know MLS and have clocked his talent correctly is a promotion to doing as little as possible.

The nepotism in this league is astounding.
    I'm sure he has a 300 page plan for the league.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting tidbit at the end of the Members survey I just did

"If a game is on both Apple TV+ & TSN, which do you prefer?"

I said Apple

(no reason asked)

I also said I was dissatisfied with apple because of the bad commentators & the spoilers they give for games already finished.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-11-2024 at 09:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the opposite I chose TSN.

Overall I thought that survey was very poorly done and missed a lot of points. The connection and correlation between questions and answer options will definitely have a skewed result to what I assume they’re looking for. The questions I thought were also poorly worded.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KEngel View Post
    On the opposite I chose TSN.

Overall I thought that survey was very poorly done and missed a lot of points. The connection and correlation between questions and answer options will definitely have a skewed result to what I assume they’re looking for. The questions I thought were also poorly worded.
    Agreed - it asked about "Importance" of a list and then "Satisfaction with" the same list. Never asked "Do you use".

That screams to me "Somebody trying to get a positive result without caring about whether the data is useful"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While going down Tom Bogerts twitter rabbit hole as he mildly stans for nycfc/being leagues indirect mouthpiece ... I stumbled up on this other tweet that seemed to be about MLS extending a league/team wide contract with 'team-room'.

https://blog.transferroom.com/mls-to...ferroom-access

Apparently there's a massive marketplace hub/cross dock for sporting directors/loan managers/recruitment staff that all mls teams are on as well as "700+ clubs" according to the product's marketing paperwork. Makes sense that in 2024 this is thing. (This might be the Pro Tools or Microsoft Word of Soccer administration software lol for all I know, but i'm a bit outside the loop on what tools and products that are out there or what is standard). Also answers some of the questions (maybe not the newcastle hookups), on how we or other teams make pretty left field pickups/loan agreements from untapped/scouted areas. a hub like this would make exposure pretty easy.

Also... somewhat explains how some teams can go pretty cheap on the scouting bill - just invest in products like that that hand you all the data, available players and asking prices and try to figure out a move. Learned somethin new today lol. Maybe some mls clubs don't necessarily have all the hot shit hookups with local scouts or contacts - they just run their business through portals like this.
    Last edited by FiveThreeTwo; 05-13-2024 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThreeTwo View Post
    Maybe some mls clubs don't necessarily have all the hot shit hookups with local scouts or contacts - they just run their business through portals like this.
    They've used databases primarily now for about fifteen years.

Most clubs don't have "hot shit" local hookups at all; they hire freelance scouts to check players out and ask locals questions about them.

TFC has had the same six or eight guys worldwide for about three years now, and a few of them for seven or eight years. Absolutely none of them, as far as I can tell, have pro playing experience. All of them are tangentially, at best, tied to the kind of roles where judging football players might be involved. How we collected them I have no idea. By personality, I imagine.

(One of them is a former club president or league president or something in Argentina, a former heavy hitter. But never a guy who scouted or played pro football.)

EDIT: As an addition, I'll note that a great many clubs buy the "professional" version of Football Manager's database, as the software company, SI, keeps scouts on retainer around the globe, as well as local experts. IT is apparently much more extensive and player-specific than the database in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThreeTwo View Post
    While going down Tom Bogerts twitter rabbit hole as he mildly stans for nycfc/being leagues indirect mouthpiece ... I stumbled up on this other tweet that seemed to be about MLS extending a league/team wide contract with 'team-room'.

https://blog.transferroom.com/mls-to...ferroom-access

Apparently there's a massive marketplace hub/cross dock for sporting directors/loan managers/recruitment staff that all mls teams are on as well as "700+ clubs" according to the product's marketing paperwork. Makes sense that in 2024 this is thing. (This might be the Pro Tools or Microsoft Word of Soccer administration software lol for all I know, but i'm a bit outside the loop on what tools and products that are out there or what is standard). Also answers some of the questions (maybe not the newcastle hookups), on how we or other teams make pretty left field pickups/loan agreements from untapped/scouted areas. a hub like this would make exposure pretty easy.

Also... somewhat explains how some teams can go pretty cheap on the scouting bill - just invest in products like that that hand you all the data, available players and asking prices and try to figure out a move. Learned somethin new today lol. Maybe some mls clubs don't necessarily have all the hot shit hookups with local scouts or contacts - they just run their business through portals like this.
    Most MLS club’s scouting departments are spotty at best. The marquee LA Galaxy had no scouting department at all when Vanney arrived a few years ago.

Traditionally, the league ran a central (poor) scouting dept and assigned (or prevented the signing of) players to the various teams in the league. We’re still a shoestring league in that regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^/^^/^^^

Speaking of… Scouting in the Caribbean with a Scout?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I realize the transgression some may reason is being committed, in lieu of the PRO fiasco suffered by TFC in the last match with NYCFC, and by just how egregious the highlights seem that CFMTL suffered in their match loss against Inter Miami, there is merit in understanding and sharing these examples to further demonstrate just how pervasive this situation at hand is. IIUC, none of these were called against Inter Miami. Ooof! Not sure who was worse Drew Fischer or Lukas Szpal.

1/ & 2/ https://twitter.com/andystake88/stat...89467688615968

3/ https://twitter.com/andystake88/stat...72396258963854

4/ https://twitter.com/andystake88/stat...35461705265414

5/ https://twitter.com/andystake88/stat...45849380724910

And

6/ https://twitter.com/andystake88/stat...28213829701848
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-14-2024 at 03:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've used databases primarily now for about fifteen years.

Most clubs don't have "hot shit" local hookups at all; they hire freelance scouts to check players out and ask locals questions about them.

TFC has had the same six or eight guys worldwide for about three years now, and a few of them for seven or eight years. Absolutely none of them, as far as I can tell, have pro playing experience. All of them are tangentially, at best, tied to the kind of roles where judging football players might be involved. How we collected them I have no idea. By personality, I imagine.

(One of them is a former club president or league president or something in Argentina, a former heavy hitter. But never a guy who scouted or played pro football.)

EDIT: As an addition, I'll note that a great many clubs buy the "professional" version of Football Manager's database, as the software company, SI, keeps scouts on retainer around the globe, as well as local experts. IT is apparently much more extensive and player-specific than the database in the game.
    Yea I guess I meant to say more savvy pickups in lesser watched markets by mls clubs with not a lot of in house scouting teams/resources. Lol added that post to the forum on little sleep over past few days so prob poorly worded. I knew most teams use databases now, I just didn't realize so many use central marketplaces or portals to exchange information and facilitate offers for players. I assume a lot of it is still through making contacts and relationships, and picking up the phone. The fact a team in mls can go on that portal and if a team in poland or serbia, norway has a profile, and they've noted that a few of their top scorers/defenders want to move on for a bigger challenge and will be accepting transfer bids, and an mls club could potential land a diamond in the rough/good value player through it - thats pretty cool, especially for smaller clubs
    Last edited by FiveThreeTwo; 05-14-2024 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I was on here, dunno if anyone posted this already or if its even new news but noticed Larry's looking to buy Saint-Etienne:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...baum-1.7203867
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/...rs-maple-leafs

Source is Saint-Etienne themselves, "The full purchase of the 1976 European Cup finalist should be ratified within weeks, the club said in a statement four days before a key end-of-season game in its push to be promoted back to the top tier of French soccer."
    Last edited by FiveThreeTwo; 05-14-2024 at 12:56 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    While I realize the transgression some may reason is being committed, in lieu of the PRO fiasco suffered by TFC in the last match with NYCFC, and by just how egregious the highlights seem that CFMTL suffered in their match loss against Inter Miami, there is merit in understanding and sharing these examples to further demonstrate just how pervasive this situation at hand is. IIUC, none of these were called against Inter Miami. Ooof! Not sure who was worse Drew Fischer or Lukas Szpal.

1/ & 2/ https://twitter.com/andystake88/stat...89467688615968

3/ https://twitter.com/andystake88/stat...72396258963854

4/ https://twitter.com/andystake88/stat...35461705265414

5/ https://twitter.com/andystake88/stat...45849380724910

And

6/ https://twitter.com/andystake88/stat...28213829701848
    I feel like they have been getting this kind of treatment since Messi and crew came over. There have been multiple times where it's evident, Delgado slide tackle on Busquets. Again Busquets no calls when he has gone in on tackles or shirt pulls in the DC game, with the handball that wasn't called and they went the other way and Suarez scored...so I don't know if it's just watching and nit picking about everything but it does seem to me like they get the advantage when it comes to calls for sure, or no calls where they should have been.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting bit in the Athletic where they added up total paid salary & Michael Bradley is the most paid player in MLS history - Insigne just behind him due to the payment to Bradley this year. Jozy is 3rd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least Bradley and Jozy left a legacy.

Insigne is the worst contract in MLS history, and its not looking good, poor signing all around.