Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...ek-21-analysis

Something kinda interesting here from the weekly MLS editorial review... TFC is 5th in the league in possession, but 1st in passing accuracy by nearly 2 full percentage points, 1st in total passes played, and the highest average number of passes before a loss of possession by a fair distance.

Compared to what I've been seeing on the pitch, I think this aligns with our tendency this season to be pretty secure in possession, but run out of ideas and pass it back and forth from one side to the other around the opponent's final third. Hasn't helped missing our DPs for long stretches, which I'm sure has contributed, but I think the stats - given these numbers yet we're maybe just a bit better than league average in terms of goal scoring - bear out that we should be looking to play direct or take additional risks in the final third a bit more often.
Another way of seeing it is that, given our terrible +/-, we give up goals at an alarming rate for the amount of possession our opponents have.

We have the 5th best possession, and 9th in goals for / game (within 0.05 of 4th).

We are 6th worst in goals against / game.