Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    right here: https://whatahowler.com/the-pro-rel-...o-245d5597f2f8

Oh, Peter Wilt. One of the true characters of American soccer. I remember advocating for him being our GM before ownership went and hired Payne. Guy has had quite a career.
    Wasn't he en route to Toronto for an interview with TFC then when he landed Payne was announced as GM?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Wasn't he en route to Toronto for an interview with TFC then when he landed Payne was announced as GM?

Depends who you ask. I used to know a guy who used to be one of the leaders of Section 8 during the mid to late 2000's, and then had a working relationship with Wilt on his last few teams/projects. IIRC I remember asking him around the time what happened with that Wilt rumor and he basically said he hadn't talked to Wilt but he'd heard a couple competing stories from different places so it was anybody's guess.

If you've heard the stories about how he his personally, though, you can imagine the culture clash he'd have had with top brass at MLSE. I'm inclined to believe we were strongly considering him but MLSE wasn't totally sold, and then Payne came along and was a much less offensive choice so they got him instead. Whether or not he was literally on a plane on the way here is neither here nor there. we'll never know that bit.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 05-08-2017 at 11:28 AM.