Thread: A Toast

Hybrid View

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Standing there with my son last night, who is now in high school.

I was thinking about his first game as a 5 year old. How I had to remind him that the words he heard couldn't be repeated to his teachers. How we would kick a ball around in the parking lot and start the day happy but go home frustrated.

Of the days of the free pub crawls when Brennan, Serioux, Conway, Wynne, Dichio and others would stop at our table. Of talking to Gabe Gala about his goal against Real Madrid.

Of seeing Adrian Cann at an airport in Florida preseason and his surprise when I knew who he was and then telling my son about it and his eyes wide... you met Cann? And later that season, Cann stopping by the table at another pub crawl and him telling my son that he played for the same coach.

Of Mike Toshack apologizing to us on the way out of a New England hotel room on an early Sunday morning after a bad performance against New England. And the puzzled look he had when we saw Preki that day, wished him luck and Preki replied "thanks, we'll need it." A road trip my son still talks about.

We've had some down moments too. From green protests to hearing ticket plans from the Exec to our own decision to give up season seats after all the money we gave away when we couldn't do the same with the tickets.

But last night? That was a long time coming. And belting out the chants, standing virtually all game in a non standing section and seeing that result, that effort, that passion and to be there with my son?

Nothing but nothing but right. I'm taking that one to the grave.

Who said playoffs were dumb?
    Last edited by Pookie; 12-01-2016 at 08:17 AM.