Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachTory View Post
    Team revenue was projected above $50m for 2015. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle16320629/

and attendance was higher than projection - no link sorry ( personal source )

MLSE doesnt think individual team cash flow, they think enterprise value and upside potential.
    Have you got a link for this? If it's true, why do they think so differently about this one part of their business as opposed to all the others?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Have you got a link for this? If it's true, why do they think so differently about this one part of their business as opposed to all the others?
    This "enterprise value" thing was a Peddie special. Not sure we've seen it since. He talked about that all the time, he thought he deserved to get paid because he was "building enterprise value" (ie because the stock market was going up).

If Teachers had bought Rogers and Bell stock in 1998, instead of MLSE, and sold that stock when they sold MLSE, they'd have made 3-5x more than they did.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This "enterprise value" thing was a Peddie special. Not sure we've seen it since. He talked about that all the time, he thought he deserved to get paid because he was "building enterprise value" (ie because the stock market was going up).

If Teachers had bought Rogers and Bell stock in 1998, instead of MLSE, and sold that stock when they sold MLSE, they'd have made 3-5x more than they did.
    Perhaps they'll sell a stake in the team; that would cover them both in terms of "enterprise value" (because the purchase price would be partly based on assessed market value, not franchise price) and lowering their immediate losses from the last three seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the sheikhs started investing in FC Barcelona, they were bleeding money like no tomorrow. Right now, the investment has earned them back more than they put in, FC Barcelona is one heck of a profitable brand and team even with their high player salaries. This is a longterm play for MLSE, one day it will generate more cashflow than the Leafs. Book it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    When the sheikhs started investing in FC Barcelona, they were bleeding money like no tomorrow. Right now, the investment has earned them back more than they put in, FC Barcelona is one heck of a profitable brand and team even with their high player salaries. This is a longterm play for MLSE, one day it will generate more cashflow than the Leafs. Book it.

Barcelona is in massive debt and remain so even with the Sheiks. They bought the Barcelona the brand to ease the world into being okay with slave owners and human rights abusers having a World Cup. There's not much else to it. If spanish courts/banks ever enforced their rules in regards to the big clubs then Barca, Madrid and Atletico would be majorly fucked financially. None of those clubs are going to be in any sort of stable financial footing any time soon.

But I agree with your overall point on TFC re investment. It's a very long term one, and MLSE are okay with subsidizing us through the Leafs, Raptors and whatever any other ventures for the time being.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If a bump in TV ratings is a thing to measure success of what Manning is doing - and I'm not sure if this was his doing but - I think moving all games to the 7pm/7:30 slot was a great move.

I've always said this needed to happen.

In the summer - people are out in the sun, enjoying the day outside.
    When they get home, after dinner and are unwinding, they need something to watch.

Most TV shows go on Summer hiatus.
    Most weekend Jay games are played during the day.
    There are not many other sports to split the viewership.

TFC is the most likely thing to watch in the evening - as long as they get on the right channels though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    If a bump in TV ratings is a thing to measure success of what Manning is doing - and I'm not sure if this was his doing but - I think moving all games to the 7pm/7:30 slot was a great move.

I've always said this needed to happen.

In the summer - people are out in the sun, enjoying the day outside.
    When they get home, after dinner and are unwinding, they need something to watch.

Most TV shows go on Summer hiatus.
    Most weekend Jay games are played during the day.
    There are not many other sports to split the viewership.

TFC is the most likely thing to watch in the evening - as long as they get on the right channels though.
    I wonder about this. You lose the families. They pay the freight.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you saying families pay the freight on the TV viewership or at the gate? Cause TFC at the gate isn't family oriented much.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nah - The Leafs have thrived on 7-8pm games for years and it never affected families. If anything it's better for families.
    Again, no outdoor commitments to worry about (pee wee baseball, soccer games, swimming, day camps etc).
    It's a time of day when you'd expect most households to be bunkering down together somewhere - late dinner etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This idea of the inevitability of the long term growth of MLS is mystifying.

Japan and the J League had a big head start on us - a way better academy-type system (high school sports there are massive). They tried it, spent big on Brazilians for years, and have majorly pulled back.

This is our second try - the first was way more serious (Villa, Lampard and Gerrard pale in comparison tp the NASL players that came - I don't see Ronaldo or Messi coming over here, the way Beckenbauer, Cruyff, and Pele did. (Probably only Pirlo is big enough to compare to those guys).

China is now trying it for the second time. We'll see.

The reality is that there is Europe, then there is the big Latin American leagues, then there is everybody else, and nobody has figured out how to move up, in fifty years of trying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This idea of the inevitability of the long term growth of MLS is mystifying.

Japan and the J League had a big head start on us - a way better academy-type system (high school sports there are massive). They tried it, spent big on Brazilians for years, and have majorly pulled back...China is now trying it for the second time. We'll see.

The reality is that there is Europe, then there is the big Latin American leagues, then there is everybody else, and nobody has figured out how to move up, in fifty years of trying.
    Genuine question - are there other highly successful sports leagues in Japan / China? I know baseball is big in Japan, but anything else?

I think part of people's belief that MLS will inevitably be huge is - "well every other sport is the best in North America, soccer must eventually be to". And I don't necessarily agree with that but I can understand how people would fall into that trap.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Genuine question - are there other highly successful sports leagues in Japan / China? I know baseball is big in Japan, but anything else?

I think part of people's belief that MLS will inevitably be huge is - "well every other sport is the best in North America, soccer must eventually be to". And I don't necessarily agree with that but I can understand how people would fall into that trap.
    Japan: Baseball is first, second, third and fourth. Next is high school baseball (their national championship is like World Juniors for us, only bigger). Sumo there is like Grey Cup here - nobody pays attention all year, but finals are big. So baseball there is like hockey in Canada.

Then it would be F1 and soccer, and maybe tennis and golf, which are both bigger there than here.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-27-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    I love this club, but there is no chance that TFC will ever drive more than a fraction of the revenue that the Leafs generate. That's just reality.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I love this club, but there is no chance that TFC will ever drive more than a fraction of the revenue that the Leafs generate. That's just reality.

40 years from now things will be different in terms of sports enjoyment. Things are very different now then they were in the mid 70's. Hard to predict what it will be but soccer has the best potential of all due to its worldwide footprint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    the point here is the growth potential of the leafs at the CURRENT value / worth of the leafs is a calculation of capital investment Requird to realize the growth. Whats the ROI on the capital required and the return on that capital and the risk. now consider how much capital TFC require FROM HERE to realize the possible growth and the risk.

governments and journalists make the revenue amounts or revenue growth comments regularly. businesses and shareholders think in profits, cash flow and enterprise value. Revenue is NOT the metric to watch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Perhaps they'll sell a stake in the team; that would cover them both in terms of "enterprise value" (because the purchase price would be partly based on assessed market value, not franchise price) and lowering their immediate losses from the last three seasons.
    An interesting speculation. Especially if that buyer brought a soccer management capability to the table.