Threaded View

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    In this city I'd have to disagree with you here. Why? Because of the amount of corporate dollars and general fans. TFC could start winning and all the seats will be sold once again with or without supporters. As a supporter since day 1, they would be empty victories, much like watching Leaf wins from the platinum seats at the ACC.

I do understand where you're coming from Roogsy and I don't think it's off in other areas where it's the supporters that generate all the atmosphere which brings in the other fans to keep the team going financially. But I do feel that this market is different than SOME other markets.
    When I say "there would not be a team" I was exaggerating a bit. There would be a TFC but nothing like we see before us today. The atmosphere brought by the supporters was the story for the first 3-4 years. It's what sustained this club while it fumbled about in it's own ineptitude. It's what people came to see. It certainly wasn't the losing team on the pitch with all the drama and infighting.

If the atmosphere wasn't there, the stadium would not have been sold out for 4 years and we wouldn't have a shiny new training facility, 3 DPs and maybe even grass (although that one might be debateable). That's what I meant. MLSE brought a team here without knowing they'd have this much success. But the additional investment has been because of the kind of support they have seen fans give this club. If that support had not been there, further investment would not have been made.

At the end of the day, support for this club has sagged in a significant way. And whatever the reason for it, action should be taken. If there is no action taken, then we're all just watching it like a slow car crash and the responsiblity for it is shared.

Again, taking it back to the original thread topic, we are so far away from what support has become in other MLS markets that it's almost embarrassing. And the chasm is growing. Complaining that someone is pointing it out is unproductive and basically shooting the messenger.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 06-03-2012 at 09:19 AM.