Page 76 of 87 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,280 of 2589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 pages of I'm right, you're wrong.

We know where everybody stands by now, surely? Why keep regurgitating it over and over? Roogsy I've seen you make the point above atleast 10 times by now. We get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Well, let me chip in on this by pointing out that if we play DeRo and Plata wide, they can both play a similar role to David Ferreira, whom a lot of people would peg as undersized, but who has great technique both inside and wide.

I know the kid's only 18 and small, but he's quick, technical and has good vision.That could actually be a pretty dangerous wide tandem, although obviously we need more depth both upfront and in the mid.
    I can't see things running that smoothly for Plata but i think there's a fair chance there's a role for him here. Despite people's stereotypes of south american soccer, I don't think he's going to be any stranger to physical play coming from Ecuador.

Anyway, I think he'll have a slow start but when those 1pm kickoffs start happening in the middle of summer he'll break out. You can't chase the game all day when it's 30 degrees out at midday. His technique will shine through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    DeRo is not untradeable as much as it fits your point of view. There are actually several teams that I know would like to have him on their roster. You can be sure that if DeRo plays for TFC this year it is not because Winter feels stuck with him. He has many options. You guys just can't accept that he is a coveted player in this league.
    I hate to admit this but Roogsy is correct, for some teams out there DeRo is coveted, but not enough to pay for him.

If you read other team's message boards they are pretty evenly split on their desire to have DeRo on their team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    players and management are two very different things. TFC cleaned out much of the management but left behind apprentices for no good reason.

Give me some reasons why this team needs Brennan and Dichio and Dasovic bearing in mind that we have Winter, DeKlerk and Mariner.

The old bits are dead wood. They serve little purpose.

I await your expert analysis on the benefits of keeping them.
    i misunderstood the initial post i quoted, thinking you wanted to get rid of everyone, incl players

anyways

there is a reason why every team keeps some of the old staff around. because the old staff knows the club structure, how things have been running, give feedback on current players, etc.
    or else you'd be throwing Winter and co into the deep end and tell them to start swimming

you don't know exactly what the job of each staff was, and whether they deserve to be fired or no. example. fire Mike Toshack? as far as we know, he's only involved in GK training, and arguably, GK has been TFC's strongest position every year.
    we don't know what Dichio does, but he seems to be more involved in TFC academy, and does some technical training with senior team. just how much input does he have on tactics? which I believe is done mostly by head coach and first assistant coach
    or the physio? fire him too?

point is, we don't know enough about each staff's job to evaluate whether each staff should be fired. all you have is that because they were part of previous regime, they should be fired. which is like some sort of Stalinist purge lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DeRo is not untradeable as much as it fits your point of view. There are actually several teams that I know would like to have him on their roster. You can be sure that if DeRo plays for TFC this year it is not because Winter feels stuck with him. He has many options. You guys just can't accept that he is a coveted player in this league.
    These "several teams you know of" are they liking him on their roster as a DP or at his current contract.

Count me in as one of those that would like him at his current contract. Count me out if we have to risk the DP slot on him.

If you are speaking openly about teams having interest in him as a DP, I'd be very curious to see your definition of "several"

Only LA, Seattle, Toronto, Chicago, Real Salt Lake, KC, DC and NY currently make use of the DP slot. 8 teams.

Exclude Toronto and we are down to 7. LA and Seattle already have 3 DPs. Down to 5 now.

You'd really have to wonder whether KC would ever pony up the cash for 2. Down to 4?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, KC, RSL just ponied up money for a DP. Chicago has shown willingness to use DP spots, same with DC and Dallas. Houston has been given a go to search for a DP, plus they used their DP spot before

Only team I believe haven't used DP spot is NE, Philly and Colorado. Plus Vancouver and Portland
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    These "several teams you know of" are they liking him on their roster as a DP or at his current contract.

Count me in as one of those that would like him at his current contract. Count me out if we have to risk the DP slot on him.

If you are speaking openly about teams having interest in him as a DP, I'd be very curious to see your definition of "several"

Only LA, Seattle, Toronto, Chicago, Real Salt Lake, KC, DC and NY currently make use of the DP slot. 8 teams.

Exclude Toronto and we are down to 7. LA and Seattle already have 3 DPs. Down to 5 now.

You'd really have to wonder whether KC would ever pony up the cash for 2. Down to 4?
    Quite the assumption that the teams that haven't used the DP spot will never use it.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends on salary cap space available at those teams, of course, not just the slots available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    75 pages of I'm right, you're wrong.

We know where everybody stands by now, surely? Why keep regurgitating it over and over? Roogsy I've seen you make the point above atleast 10 times by now. We get it.

Ya. I said around page 40 that we should close the thread until there was some news.

No news yet, and I don't think we accomplished much yet.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Because we haven't got to 100 yet!

Can't lose sight of the goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Because we haven't got to 100 yet!

Can't lose sight of the goal.
    would be nice if we could cash in with some banner ads then. Then, I'd think it was worthwhile.

49,000 page views of this, so far. LOL

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now we go on with our lives as if it never happened

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are so many variations of DPs and non-DP plus allocation and contract extensions at max salaries etc etc that you picking out a single possible way to renegotiate DeRo's contract is short-sighted. Interest from other teams does not necessarily mean they don't have options themselves on how to settle the DeRo situation. And that isn't even considering the teams that may want to use their DP slot which unless you can prove there are NO DP slots left in MLS, really leaves a multitude of options for everyone to consider. Just because you wouldn't pay for DeRo does not mean others won't. They are not as emotionally "scarred" by his actions as you seem to be so they will likely make a decision based on objective points of view instead of emotional reactions.

So if Toronto does not want to keep him, they really don't have to.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    Quite the assumption that the teams that haven't used the DP spot will never use it.
    Not that much of an assumption when only 3 MLS teams turn a profit on an annual basis.

They are not as emotionally "scarred" by his actions as you seem to be so they will likely make a decision based on objective points of view instead of emotional reactions.

So if Toronto does not want to keep him, they really don't have to.
    Emotionally scarred? Heh, that's kind of funny. One of us is rarely, if ever, going to view DeRo's stats when he leaves, the other... well, I can't wait to read your thread on his first goal in another jersey. Hopefully, he can net one between June 5 and August 21st for his new club, you know, and make some kind of contribution

Objective points? You mean like age, attitude, future contribution, other available DPs, tactical tendencies as they relate to the team's system OR do you mean % contributions to goals for over a 2 year span?

Yeah, I hope they make their decision on those objective factors just like we should be.
    Last edited by Pookie; 01-22-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that much of an assumption when only 3 MLS teams turn a profit on an annual basis.

Some of the others must want to change that, though....

(actually, the way business works these days I doubt very many teams will ever show a profit )

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didn't I just debunk your point? most teams in MLS have used their DP spots

some are more cautious in using DP spot than others, but I think except for tight arses like Kraft in NE, most teams are willing to take a gamble on DP, if the player is right (certainly didn't see Landin or Geovanni signing, if a bit out of the blue)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Some of the others must want to change that, though....

(actually, the way business works these days I doubt very many teams will ever show a profit )
    only way MLS will ever make enough profit is a massive TV deal. it's how it works everywhere else in the world.

MLS will never make a profit, if it relies on gate receipt as primary source of income

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    only way MLS will ever make enough profit is a massive TV deal. it's how it works everywhere else in the world.

MLS will never make a profit, if it relies on gate receipt as primary source of income
    This...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's an outdated fact at this point, going all the way back to when FCD, TFC, and LA were the only ones making money.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think that's heavily false at this point and as teams transition into better venues (like KC) the red ink will only be further in the rearview mirror.
    debatable

you have good SSS like HDC, Pizza Hut Park, Toyota Park, Rio Tinto, etc and they aren't really translating into better crowd numbers... of course, most of these stadiums are located in Buttfuck, Nowhere

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make a profit or show a profit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

debatable

you have good SSS like HDC, Pizza Hut Park, Toyota Park, Rio Tinto, etc and they aren't really translating into better crowd numbers... of course, most of these stadiums are located in Buttfuck, Nowhere
    Dallas was actually one of the teams to show a profit before.

While some of these stadiums are legitimately in scumblefuck, keep in mind the dynamics of the urban scape vary from city to city. Not every US city is about proximity to downtown, a lot of city cores are complete dumps. Rio Tinto is on the rail line in SLC and not in a bad spot. Chicago has a sub-optimal location but somehow still draws.

I can't foresee the league struggling without a big TV deal providing the salary structure is kept reasonable and some of the other issues surrounding the business side get sorted out.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-22-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Depends on who is paying the "gate receipt".

The NHL is a gate driven league that doesn't have anywhere near the kind of TV deal that the NFL does. Selling seats to a corporate audience has worked for them.

Except of course, to Beach Red's point, when it comes to reporting profits during labour negotiations. At that point, they have nothing but losses to report

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is completely off-topic and probably deserves it's own thread.

However, I will point out that soccer (like American Football) can never be successful under a "gate-driven" model like hockey.

Soccer needs TV revenue, period.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All sports need TV revenue really.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    All sports need TV revenue really.

I don't think the argument is that TV revenue is not needed in some sports but merely the degree of dependancy.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can agree with that.

But back on topic.

I wonder which teams are interested in DeRo. While I'm sure every team might like to have DeRo, how many want him at his current price tag?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That depends on the team. It's deluded to say that they would all want him at this price tag but it is just as silly to say none would either.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Then the next question is how many teams would have financial room for him?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That question does apply but becomes harder to figure out when allocation dollars are included or if teams share salaries like Barrett. You could argue that pretty much anyone in MLS has room for him depending on the deal.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is completely off-topic and probably deserves it's own thread.

However, I will point out that soccer (like American Football) can never be successful under a "gate-driven" model like hockey.

Soccer needs TV revenue, period.
    Why?

If costs are marginally contained in the soft cap system we have now (where is that dust2 guy anyways?), teams could make a legitimate business profit without a major TV deal. TFC does just that.

Or are you thinking of "success" as something more than the dollar?