0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The starting 11 in Turkey looks to be like this;

Frei
    Omphroy-Nana-Cann-Gargan
    Peterson-De Guzman-LaBrocca
    Plata-Santos-De Rosario

If Dero is going / gone then we would have to bring in either Thompson or Beattie into the forward position - if we are going to be playing attacking football as promised.

Players with question marks against them are Omphroy (untested), De Guzman (enough said already), Plata (untested), Thompson or Beattie (both untested).

I hope, regardless of whether Dero stays or goes, Winters is making some moves to bring some quality into this side asap. With a first choice starting line-up we have the potential, I feel, for between 25 and 30 goals this season -- which is way off the mark for play-off contention. Without Dero, or an under-performing Dero, we are looking at perhaps between 15 and 25 goals. Without a radical departure from the past -- we will not be seeing total football, but rather total something else.

TFC 6.0 is starting to look a lot like TFC 4.0

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Management void?

When Mo and Preki were let go, wasn't Cochrane given the role of interim GM? I mean that's what he was introduced as at the townhall. Which leads me to believe that during the time Mo and Preki were let go and Winter was hired, any football ops decisions should have been directed towards him.

So the point I made a few pages - after the Wheeler column came out - back was if Cochrane was the one that gave him permission, and through his press releases he appears to deny it, then he's been lying and frankly I think that would be grounds for dismissal. a) He's lying and b) He's incompetent. And I would publicly apologize to DeRo if it was in fact Cochrane that gave him permission.

But if it wasn't Cochrane, my question is who is this "higher up" that DeRo's agent refers to and Wheeler referred to in his article? Did this person overstep their bounds? Why was this person approached instead of Cochrane? If it was actually someone "below" Cochrane (i.e. Brennan), then that person should be dismissed for a) humiliating someone above them and b) for dragging TFC through the mud. And if it was Brennan for example then I would think blame could be laid on both sides.

The only other person I can think of would Anselmi, and IMO, it would be the same. a) Anselmi proves himself to be incompetent again and b) don't understand why they would ask Anselmi for permission. And if it was Anselmi then if I'm Cochrane would consider quitting as it appears even though he had been given the role of interim GM, his boss didn't have enough faith in him.

As for the contract stuff. A contract exists in place. And like voodoo said if TFC decides to re-up him after this debacle then I would be disappointed.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    No, we don't want to know the whole story, we just want confirmation that what we think is right
    Yeah, I think it's more along the lines of this. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reality is that neither TFC or DeRo will stand to benefit anything from the truth coming out if he remains with the club, which appears likely at this point. Whether it's right or wrong from a media/supporter standpoint, it is probably in the best interest of the club for management and DeRo to present a unified front and let this issue fade into the background.

Once again though, if we never discover the truth, I don't think DeRo should be villified because liability clearly rests with either his agent or a representative of the interim front office...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Management void?

When Mo and Preki were let go, wasn't Cochrane given the role of interim GM? I mean that's what he was introduced as at the townhall. Which leads me to believe that during the time Mo and Preki were let go and Winter was hired, any football ops decisions should have been directed towards him.

So the point I made a few pages - after the Wheeler column came out - back was if Cochrane was the one that gave him permission, and through his press releases he appears to deny it, then he's been lying and frankly I think that would be grounds for dismissal. a) He's lying and b) He's incompetent. And I would publicly apologize to DeRo if it was in fact Cochrane that gave him permission.

But if it wasn't Cochrane, my question is who is this "higher up" that DeRo's agent refers to and Wheeler referred to in his article? Did this person overstep their bounds? Why was this person approached instead of Cochrane? If it was actually someone "below" Cochrane (i.e. Brennan), then that person should be dismissed for a) humiliating someone above them and b) for dragging TFC through the mud. And if it was Brennan for example then I would think blame could be laid on both sides.

The only other person I can think of would Anselmi, and IMO, it would be the same. a) Anselmi proves himself to be incompetent again and b) don't understand why they would ask Anselmi for permission. And if it was Anselmi then if I'm Cochrane would consider quitting as it appears even though he had been given the role of interim GM, his boss didn't have enough faith in him.

As for the contract stuff. A contract exists in place. And like voodoo said if TFC decides to re-up him after this debacle then I would be disappointed.
    Over in the news thread people are talking about another Wheeler column where he says maybe everything at TFC wasn't entirely the fault of one guy. Other people feel it was. How does a guy like Anselmi get no heat for handing over the building of an expansion team from scratch to a guy with less than one quarter of a season's experience in management and then resigning him (twice?) unless he didn't actually hand over the complete building and running of the team...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The reality is that neither TFC or DeRo will stand to benefit anything from the truth coming out if he remains with the club, which appears likely at this point. Whether it's right or wrong from a media/supporter standpoint, it is probably in the best interest of the club for mangement and DeRo to present a unified front and let this issue fade into the background.

Once again though, if we never discover the truth, I don't think DeRo should be villified because liability cleraly rests with either his agent or a representative of the interim front office...
    But I thought the whole thrust of this thread from the DeRo supporters is that he didn't do anything wrong?

I have no issue saying both were wrong in Trial-gate. Yet there are those who insist that DeRo didn't do anything wrong.

And DeRo's agent is his rep. And if his agent fucked up - much like I say if a TFC FO member fucked up and should be fired - if I was DeRo I would fire his ass.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Over in the news thread people are talking about another Wheeler column where he says maybe everything at TFC wasn't entirely the fault of one guy. Other people feel it was. How does a guy like Anselmi get no heat for handing over the building of an expansion team from scratch to a guy with less than one quarter of a season's experience in management and then resigning him (twice?) unless he didn't actually hand over the complete building and running of the team...
    BR... that's a whole different thread and argument.

But in relation to DeRo and his trial, like I said if it was Anselmi that gave permission, if I'm Cochrane I wouldn't be too happy.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I thought the whole thrust of this thread from the DeRo supporters is that he didn't do anything wrong?

I have no issue saying both were wrong in Trial-gate. Yet there are those who insist that DeRo didn't do anything wrong.

And DeRo's agent is his rep. And if his agent fucked up - much like I say if a TFC FO member fucked up and should be fired - if I was DeRo I would fire his ass.
    Supporter. I count one. Supporter.

I agree with everything else Whoop.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BR... that's a whole different thread and argument.

But in relation to DeRo and his trial, like I said if it was Anselmi that gave permission, if I'm Cochrane I wouldn't be too happy.

No, but if you kept it to yourself you'd still be employed.

It's not really a different argument because the issue here really is, who's in charge?

What's going on with DeRo now is part of a bigger issue with this team and how it has treated players. I'm not a DeRo supporter but I wish the team would be taking more flak for not being more direct with him sooner and for claiming they'd be happy to renegotiate over and over. And now it looks like they are renogotiating and I just hope when Mariner said he was "working on a deal with the league," it's because he wanted to and not that he was being told to do that by someone "higher up."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is fun!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well we're trying to 100.... LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo's agent is his rep. And if his agent fucked up - much like I say if a TFC FO member fucked up and should be fired - if I was DeRo I would fire his ass.
    No argument there, but neither scenario is likely to happen. The fiasco didn't happen under Winter's watch so the front office will remain intact, and DeRo just hired his agent last year if I'm not mistaken...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I still find it strange that DeRo isn't listed as a client on the agency's website.

http://www.basesoccer.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still find it strange that DeRo isn't listed as a client on the agency's website.

http://www.basesoccer.com/
    cuz he switched to the Roogsy agency.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if you think Dero did nothing wrong in trial-gate, but you're not a Dero supporter?

Carry on to 100 pages.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    What if you think Dero did nothing wrong in trial-gate, but you're not a Dero supporter?

Then you have people on "your" side for a different reason. Celebrate.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carry on to 100 pages.

You should immediately be named Arbitrator for Life for all debates related to DeRo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carry on to 100 pages.
    A hundred here we come.

And that's a good question. With this new management it looked like it was finally time for TFC 2.0 but if they say they are determined to keep him as "captain and leader" it's a little worrisome. Not because of "trial-gate" (I also don't think DeRo did anything wrong) but just because his style of play might be more suited for an older version of MLS. And as Pookie says, there's the whole age thing....

How this plays out could be very telling for how the team is going to be run going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Possibly, but even if they were trying to unload him there's no reason to publicly throw him under the bus. It devalues the asset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A hundred here we come.

And that's a good question. With this new management it looked like it was finally time for TFC 2.0 but if they say they are determined to keep him as "captain and leader" it's a little worrisome. Not because of "trial-gate" (I also don't think DeRo did anything wrong) but just because his style of play might be more suited for an older version of MLS. And as Pookie says, there's the whole age thing....

How this plays out could be very telling for how the team is going to be run going forward.
    Well, consider that the new management regime is not necessarily walking into this situation blindfolded. As a former assistant manager of the New England Revolution for several years, Paul Mariner should be familiar enough with DeRo's abilities to determine whether or not he has the required skill set to play Aron Winter's preferred style of football. DeRo has played like a loose cannon at times over his career but if he is utilized as an attacking forward in a 4-3-3 formation, he could very well fit in...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A hundred here we come.

If he sticks to tactical assignments defensively, a "total football" based 4-3-3- would actually totally suit DeRo's style, because it allows massively more flexibilty when moving offensively by having other players recognize and fill gaps in the team shape.

Consequently, when DeRo runs off on his own -- which, selfish or not, does produce goals at a fair clip -- under a 433 TF system, we won't be nearly as exposed to counterattack, while still taking advantage of our offensive weapons.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Consequently, when DeRo runs off on his own -- which, selfish or not, does produce goals at a fair clip -- under a 433 TF system, we won't be nearly as exposed to counterattack, while still taking advantage of our offensive weapons.
    The problem comes when it's DeRo who has to cover so Santos can score.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you people still doing here?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    What are you people still doing here?
    Same as you. 100 pages baby.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FFS!!!!!

There is no way I am going to read this thread from the beginning. Is this some sort of record yet?

74 pages and still going strong. In an effort to catch up on this thread, can anyone give me a rundown of this thread in one paragraph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4evared View Post
    FFS!!!!!

There is no way I am going to read this thread from the beginning. Is this some sort of record yet?

74 pages and still going strong. In an effort to catch up on this thread, can anyone give me a rundown of this thread in one paragraph?
    DeRo and club at odds over money since 2009. Dero tells club in off season that he may/will be going to Celtic. Club either does not know or screws up by not acknowledging it or letting lines of communication with player dry up. Paperwork is screwed up. DeRo trials in Glasgow. TFC says come home and publicly state he is part of the future of the club. Rumours of a possible new deal from Mariner leak out. He comes home. Fans are torn over DeRo. Many want him to get his cash. Others want him ridden out of town on a rail. Others want him stripped of the captain's armband. Silence from player and club since his return.
    Last edited by bgnewf; 01-20-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speculation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Those are examples of character that lends itself well to team building and is more likely to lead to success. The opposite lends itself to conflict and dressing room unrest. Coincidently, something that is a consistent theme over the Dwayner's tenure with the club.
    I'm sorry, but i have to dispute this. We had a great "character" team in years one and for the most part year 2. But they simply didn't get it done. Character means nothing if you don't have the talent.