Page 73 of 87 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2589
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Sorry Pete but that shows a remarkable lack of understanding of how player/management relations work. Their silence on this matter is not indicative of whether or not they support DeRo.
    And I think the silence is what's remarkable. I am not alone.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    That is called appeal to belief and it's a logical fallacy. This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because the fact that many people believe a claim does not, in general, serve as evidence that the claim is true.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We don't have an accurate gauge of locker room morale either way. I like your positivity assuming since no players said anything bad about DeRo or how he influences the room it can't be bad but I think this is more a glaring omission. What better time to come forward as a team mate and vouch for your captain than when his rep is in the shitter?
    I'm more along this line of thinking.

In regards to locker room unrest.

Players don't normally call out other players and say "player x is a cancer in the locker room". As a teammate you don't do that. However, on the flipside, I've never seen any glowing comments about DeRo from his teammates.

What do I mean? Here's an example. (yes, yes, yes, it's a hockey example, but it's something recent that I just saw the other day).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...Latest+News%29

“He’s kind of like the ‘Dad’ around here,” defenceman Luke Schenn said. “I don’t know how to explain it. He’s one of the more mature guys.”
    “He’s the father figure for sure,” said netminder Jean-Sébastien Giguère, who played four seasons with Beauchemin in Anaheim. “He takes care of everything. If you show up late, he’ll always be in your face, he’ll be the one giving you a fine and stuff like that.
    “It’s good. We need some accountability and he’s the one that makes sure that happens.”

I've never heard any TFC players talking about DeRo like that, especially along the lines of the last line. "We need some accountability and he's the one that makes sure that happens."

As from the silence from both camps, TFC has released press releases and such. I believe the onus is on DeRo to "explain himself" so to speak. Other than finding out who the "higher up" from TFC that gave permission to DeRo, TFC has been forthright and consistent in their message.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, his only crime was the cheque signing gesture, for which he has publicly apologized.
    Me and this guy seems to be in full agreement about everything, even his board name. Drinks all around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds good to me!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero can't talk. He obviously can't back away from his position that he had permission, and by implication saying this calls Cochrane (and maybe others) liars. Better to stay quiet.

If he shows up in camp, both Dero and Winter/Anselmi will appear together to say that "they're moving forward, and we're not talking about this anymore".

Or Dero will leave, and then he can talk, and the fun will really start.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I'm more along this line of thinking.
    That is called appeal to belief and it's a logical fallacy. This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because the fact that many people believe a claim does not, in general, serve as evidence that the claim is true.
    Sorry Roogs Help me out. Are you trying to prove that the silence on this sensitive subject is not remarkable?

I'm not sure why you'd want to prove that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the silence on this whole matter is a result of some contract renegotiations taking place I'll be very upset.

Why reward piss poor behaviour?

The minute the cheque signing happened any contract re-working would have been out the window in my mind.

If that means he walks...then he walks.

Otherwise you set a nasty precedent.

"Think you're worth more than you've already committed to? Act like an asshole and we'll reward you....behind closed doors of course."

If they give him a pay raise and pretend like nothing happened I'll be very pissed off.

The only way to amicably resolve this would be BOTH SIDES coming out and clearing the air. That's the only way to put this shit behind them.

Anything less will be seen by the supporters as having left us in the dark in order to pull one over on us....whether it's true or not is not important.

Bad optics.

PS.....either way....if DeRo is still captain he'll hear it from me every game until he starts behaving like a captain.

Fuck I wish this wasn't the main story surrounding this team right now.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^
    Voodoo, I want to subscribe to your newsletter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    Voodoo, I want to subscribe to your newsletter.

hahaha....is that some veiled sarcasm?

1. I ain't gots no newsletter
    2. You don't want to share my opinion. It doesn't go over very well, very often.

Thanks though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Roogs Help me out. Are you trying to prove that the silence on this sensitive subject is not remarkable?

I'm not sure why you'd want to prove that.

Silence on a sensitive subject is in fact the norm yes. In fact, your demand of a lack of silence over this is in stark contrast to your wish that DeRo would have been silent in the first place. Your position is somewhat contradictory.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silence on a sensitive subject is in fact the norm yes. In fact, your demand of a lack of silence over this is in stark contrast to your wish that DeRo would have been silent in the first place. Your position is somewhat contradictory.

I believe the expression is 'He let the genie out of the bottle'.

There is a time to speak, and a time for silence. DeRo should have been quiet then, but could be vocal (dare I say apologetic?) now
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    hahaha....is that some veiled sarcasm?

1. I ain't gots no newsletter
    2. You don't want to share my opinion. It doesn't go over very well, very often.

Thanks though.
    LOL

I just agree with you 100%.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    I believe the expression is 'He let the genie out of the bottle'.

There is a time to speak, and a time for silence. DeRo should have been quiet then, but could be vocal (dare I say apologetic?) now

Clichés are nice but they are rarely practical. Yes he started something with his actions...or perhaps it can be argued TFC started something when they upset their top player in the first place through their tactics. The point is you if you believe silence is the best policy, then it should apply at any point or if you want all information to be public, then DeRo's public position on his contract should not have bothered you in the first place. You can't pick and choose. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Now as for a "time to speak"...when exactly would that have been?

As for being public now...I in fact think his silence now is the right move he is making (finally). And I think it's silly for people to demand him to be vocal now when it is probably the most damaging time of all. If in fact him and the team are in the middle of mending the relationship, fanning the flames is not going to help anyone and that is a high price to pay for our curiosity. You'd think people around here would understand that if there will be fence-mending, it will be a process. A process we will not be privy to.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 01-20-2011 at 12:03 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clichés are nice but they are rarely practical. Yes he started something with his actions...or perhaps it can be argued TFC started something when they upset their top player in the first place through their tactics. The point is you if you believe silence is the best policy, then it should apply at any point or if you want all information to be public, then DeRo's public position on his contract should not have bothered you in the first place. You can't pick and choose. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Now as for a "time to speak"...when exactly would that have been?
    Clichés are nice but they are rarely practical.

the issue isn't 'silence is the best policy'.

the issue is that he did something stupid (check signing) and then apologized for it
    now he's done something that could have gone down even worse, and there's no statement.

no one is asking him not to talk, they just want to make sure if his mouth is open, he's not putting his foot in it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, it's a critical time for fence-mending.

Winter said 'we want him on the team, and we expect the best from him'

would it be so hard for him to reply 'I want to be on the team, and will give my best to the TFC' ???

stop me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't said that. Winter is left hanging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would it be so hard for him to reply 'I want to be on the team, and will give my best to the TFC' ???

we don't know if Winter is left hanging as they may have talked

we do know that we are left hanging...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the issue is that he did something stupid (check signing) and then apologized for it
    now he's done something that could have gone down even worse, and there's no statement.

no one is asking him not to talk, they just want to make sure if his mouth is open, he's not putting his foot in it.
    These are completely different things. I hope he keeps his mouth shut until there is a resolution and then says whatever is best for the team.

Winter is not left hanging if Winter is involved in the fence-mending.

The truth is DeRo should not say anything until such a time as there is certainty in what is happening with him and with the team. Earl opening his mouth before there was certainty is a big reason why there is this big issue reared it's ugly head. Is there certainty? Yes or no? If there is, it's time to talk. If there isn't, it isn't time to talk. It's as simple as that. With all the possible endings to this drama that can occur, saying anything now is simply ill-advised.

This story has not ended. It is foolish for fans to demand that they be kept appraised every step of the way. Our goal should be that this issue be dealt with and put to rest once and for all and once it is, to let us know that it is. If the story does get resolved one way or another and we don't hear from DeRo, then by all means, have at it. But if they are in the middle of it, I don't understand why people who insist DeRo do something completely stupid and open his mouth once again just because he did it before?

Do you want another cliché? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LMAO....

I don't need to be kept appraised of everything going forward, I just want to know his version of the events last month, from his mouth.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    we don't know if Winter is left hanging as they may have talked

we do know that we are left hanging...

well yeah, they probably did talk, but perception is a big thing.

I'd like to see a photo of DeRo jogging in the show, as Winter rides behind him in a golf cart.

caption: Angry Old Man Winter

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To add.

We know what happened - DeRo went to Scotland - but how did it come about? Who did your agent get permission from? How did it feel when you had to be pulled off the pitch in Glasgow? etc.

Like newf said, I'm sure a lot of this stuff will come out on media day as I'm sure most reporters will latch onto that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now if DeRo winds up on Wheeler's show again in the meantime (yeah, I know it was cancelled) with complaints again about his contract...well...even I can't defend him at that point.

Both parties should shut up, settle the issue and move on. Showing partnership by having a joint press release or announcement once it is done and then never speaking about it again.

However, if the issue simply can't be settled for whatever reason, I would expect more strife which is not good for anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well yeah, they probably did talk, but perception is a big thing.

I'd like to see a photo of DeRo jogging in the show, as Winter rides behind him in a golf cart.

caption: Angry Old Man Winter

or possibly "Winter Cheque-up"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    or possibly "Winter Cheque-up"

or No Rest for TFC's Captain in this Winter Off-Season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"No Green this Winter as the TFC's Captain Cheques in"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To add.

We know what happened - DeRo went to Scotland - but how did it come about? Who did your agent get permission from? How did it feel when you had to be pulled off the pitch in Glasgow? etc.

Like newf said, I'm sure a lot of this stuff will come out on media day as I'm sure most reporters will latch onto that.
    But Ensco is right, all that would do now is embarrass TFC. They had a management void. People were actually talking about Cochrane taking over as GM and running the show. Mistakes were made. They appear to have been corrected in house and the people involved are trying to move on. For the first time in this whole mess it does seem like there are people involved who actually want TFC to become a better team and aren't acting out of spite. They might even be acting like professionals. It's true, we have no experience with that when it comes to this team but maybe we'll have to get used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"DeRo prepared for Winter in Toronto"...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both parties should shut up, settle the issue and move on. Showing partnership by having a joint press release or announcement once it is done and then never speaking about it again.

However, if the issue simply can't be settled for whatever reason, I would expect more strife which is not good for anyone.
    Joint press release- "Player + TFC= forever"

and we're left with a hearty helping of " Nothing to see hear people. Move along."

Right. Sorry Roogs enquiring minds always want to know the whole story. Your wishing it away won't kill this story.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Killing the story isn't what I want, it's getting the team on track that interests me.

What a multi-million dollar corporation and a player with a 6 figure salary disagree about does not interest me. What does interest me is that I have a team I can take pride in this season. That's why I hope my scenario plays out. Of course it's wishful, but it's the best-case scenario in this drama.

As for "knowing"...well...if this board is any indication, "knowing" the full story won't make anyone happy. Just more reason to explode on one side or the other and fans will continue to be frustrated. People around here say "I need to know" and that is in fact not true. Nobody here "needs" to know anything, we "want" to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joint press release- "Player + TFC= forever"

and we're left with a hearty helping of " Nothing to see hear people. Move along."

Right. Sorry Roogs enquiring minds always want to know the whole story. Your wishing it away won't kill this story.

No, we don't want to know the whole story, we just want confirmation that what we think is right