Good points. It is past January 17th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Torontotonto;1204643]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    QFFT.

(The best suggestion people have had for our next "captain" is a soft-spoken gentleman who is no star and has in fact been a journeyman in 2nd division teams for most of his career.
    Can anyone tell me what exactly I am looking forward to this season?0

I agree Roogsey...
    Well as much as I liked AC last season, he is no way who I want to be captain of our team.
    I guess we need a self-centred loudmouth like this punk to lead our club, right?

Being a captain is far less about talent and far more about respect. Something our current skipper fails to realize.

I will go as far as saying with the exeption of Laurent Robert and Carlos Ruiz there hasn't been a veteran player LESS deserving of the armband than our current captain.
    Last edited by Chevy; 01-19-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spell fail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I figure it's "meet the press day" before flying out to Turkey.
    That's my understanding. Hopefully if there has been some sort of meeting of the minds between Dwayne and the club we will know publicly next week. If it's like last season when Carl Robinson would not speak to any media even though he was in the building and in plain sight then we will know that the disagreements between player and club are still on.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes Chevy.... kicking it into motion. LOL

Other examples.

The list can go on and on.....

All journeymen and no talent...

One of my favourites. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Mariner said they were "working on something" with the league in regards to Dero, could he be referring to a bonus that would not impact our cap hit?

Admittedly I have no evidence of this, but the comment from the MLS site on Cunningham's negotiations with the Crew may provide a clue.

??

-----------

ON HOLD – Forward Jeff Cunningham remains unsigned since his rights were acquired from FC Dallas in the MLS Re-Entry Draft on Dec. 15. Bliss said the league added a bonus to the offer that would not affect the salary cap but has not heard back from Cunningham.

-----------

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incidentally, I see now that DeRo's twitter post thanking Celtic supporters for making his stay memorable, etc has been edited to remove the reference to TFC cock-blocking a loan deal.

(and apologies if someone else has noted this elsewhere in the 72 pages of this thread)

This just keeps getting funnier.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so hypothetically, if DeRo were to leave

which Toronto sports figure would we try to run out of town next?

just like to be prepared

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post

just like to be prepared
    Probably De Guzman.

Or maybe Mike Komisarek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just like to be prepared
    I'm thinking Colangelo or Wilson the way things are shaping up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just like to be prepared

Are Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel still here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Incidentally, I see now that DeRo's twitter post thanking Celtic supporters for making his stay memorable, etc has been edited to remove the reference to TFC cock-blocking a loan deal.

(and apologies if someone else has noted this elsewhere in the 72 pages of this thread)

This just keeps getting funnier.
    I guess it never happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Are Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel still here?
    Hey those are two great players who have had all sorts of past regular season and playoff success before they came to Toronto. If the team was in any way decent they'd be MVP candidates! Imagine where the Leafs would be without them! You people just don't understand hockey

My personal run out of town list looks like this: Dero, the entire teachers pension plan, Colangelo, Vernon Wells, Burke, Bargnani then Wilson. Also I'm warming up a seat for JDG, but he still gets another chance first. And whatever bastard is preventing a Cheesecake factory from opening here. If I ever find out who's responsible for that I'm breaking out the pitchfork

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Hey those are two great players who have had all sorts of past regular season and playoff success before they came to Toronto. If the team was in any way decent they'd be MVP candidates! Imagine where the Leafs would be without them! You people just don't understand hockey

My personal run out of town list looks like this: Dero, the entire teachers pension plan, Colangelo, Vernon Wells, Burke, Bargnani then Wilson. Also I'm warming up a seat for JDG, but he still gets another chance first. And whatever bastard is preventing a Cheesecake factory from opening here. If I ever find out who's responsible for that I'm breaking out the pitchfork

That's a good list. I'm not sure about Colangelo yet, but probably it's just he still has me fooled.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    My personal run out of town list looks like this: {...}And whatever bastard is preventing a Cheesecake factory from opening here. If I ever find out who's responsible for that I'm breaking out the pitchfork

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    That's a good list. I'm not sure about Colangelo yet, but probably it's just he still has me fooled.
    Colangelo's on the list. Read this. The MLSE suits love him because he does deals that help them sell tickets in the off season. They don't care that he's managed the cap poorly, that his teams are soft, or that they lose

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...gh-past-decade
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know that Rainforest Cafe in Yorkdale? Imagine if that was a Cheesecake Factory, it'd be the busiest restaurant in the city! Or the old Planet Hollywood outside the Dome for that matter (I don't even know what it is anymore). It's impossible to not love the Cheesecake Factory. The only logical reason I can think of for why there isn't one here already is some jerk preventing it somehow. When I find that asshole somebody gonna get a hurt REAL bad. If Dero wants to win me back quick, he should get on that ASAP. Damnit, now I want cheesecake lol.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No need to convince me. I am a firm believer. Every time I am in the US, the Cheesecake Factory is a must. Have you had the Red Velvet Cake? I'd make love to it if I could.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Twitter:

dwaynederosario Dwayne De Rosario
    "Need my milo today"

I think hes demanding 1 millllion dollars...TODAY!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No need to convince me. I am a firm believer. Every time I am in the US, the Cheesecake Factory is a must. Have you had the Red Velvet Cake? I'd make love to it if I could.
    Could? or HAVE? I bet that whole "american pie" thing was based off you and that cake :P haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAN do I want cheesecake now lol. Time to road trip to Buffalo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can be a really nice guy, but professional sports is a cutthoat business, and if your play isn't at a certain level you will not have a shead of credibility in the lockerroom.

There are about 4 or 5 player who can even claim to hold that level of play on our team.

The last thing we need is Jimmy B. part II, where the chummiest guy on the team goes out there with the captain's arm band, gets his ass beat by his opposite number consistently and barks orders at his teammates.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would think that the last thing we need is to miss the playoffs again.

But if having a chummy captain is worse, good thing our current captain is the opposite of chummy.

(To the tune of We're Not Gonna Take It)

We're not very chummy
    No, we ain't very chummy
    We didn't make the playoffs,
    In Year 4........

So, a non-chummy captain. That's something to be proud of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who said anything about Dero being captain? (or me being happy about him being captain)

I'm just spelling out to you the reality that you don't make a borderline starter the captain and just because you have a great personality doesn't make it enough to have the armband.

Are you not the guy listing sob stories for the last 70 pages of other guys who deserve more, yet you ignore the fact they aren't very talented and deserve just as much of the blame for losing as Dero does.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-19-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am one of many that have pointed out the vast salary ranges within the team.

What many have pointed out is that while these players may (subjectively) feel (or be) underpaid, each has had the charcter to shut up, play hard and not lobby publicly for a new contact.

Those are examples of character that lends itself well to team building and is more likely to lead to success. The opposite lends itself to conflict and dressing room unrest. Coincidently, something that is a consistent theme over the Dwayner's tenure with the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I am one of many that have pointed out the vast salary ranges within the team.

What many have pointed out is that while these players may (subjectively) feel (or be) underpaid, each has had the charcter to shut up, play hard and not lobby publicly for a new contact.

Those are examples of character that lends itself well to team building and is more likely to lead to success. The opposite lends itself to conflict and dressing room unrest. Coincidently, something that is a consistent theme over the Dwayner's tenure with the club.
    While I understand your point even despite the fact no one esle has went public the team has been crap anyway, perhaps they should all complain about their wages and we might have a team that makes the play offs?

There has been no indication of any dressing room unrest under DeRo, I have yet to see one single quote from any player who has indicated that they feel Dwayne has been a cancer in the dressing room. When Dwayne scores a goal his team mates do not ignore him, they all seem genuinely happy. Usually in situations like this the team would be very passive if they were unhappy with the player in question. We can all post things we think is true like Dwayne is a cancer in the dressing room but it is all crap until one of the players speaks up and it is documented. Also if he was so much of a cancer then why the hell are Toronto not doing their best to off load him? They had the perfect opportunity with Celtic and a new management team coming in yet they have so far done and said everything they can to keep him.

So in conclusion we have no direct quotes from players indicating he is a cancer and the club have spurned a potential opportunity to off load him. Does anyone have any info that goes against this?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    While I understand your point even despite the fact no one esle has went public the team has been crap anyway, perhaps they should all complain about their wages and we might have a team that makes the play offs?

There has been no indication of any dressing room unrest under DeRo, I have yet to see one single quote from any player who has indicated that they feel Dwayne has been a cancer in the dressing room. When Dwayne scores a goal his team mates do not ignore him, they all seem genuinely happy. Usually in situations like this the team would be very passive if they were unhappy with the player in question. We can all post things we think is true like Dwayne is a cancer in the dressing room but it is all crap until one of the players speaks up and it is documented. Also if he was so much of a cancer then why the hell are Toronto not doing their best to off load him? They had the perfect opportunity with Celtic and a new management team coming in yet they have so far done and said everything they can to keep him.

So in conclusion we have no direct quotes from players indicating he is a cancer and the club have spurned a potential opportunity to off load him. Does anyone have any info that goes against this?
    We don't have an accurate gauge of locker room morale either way. I like your positivity assuming since no players said anything bad about DeRo or how he influences the room it can't be bad but I think this is more a glaring omission. What better time to come forward as a team mate and vouch for your captain than when his rep is in the shitter?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every day that passes without some sort of public comment from Dwayne addressing some of the issues that his trial at Celtic brought up just makes the situation here for him potentially worse going forward.

Like I said last week t is in the interest of both player and club to get this publicly addressed sooner rather than later. He had been back for over a week now and nary a word from the talkative Team DeRo amazes me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nor TFC I remind you.

What that tells me is both sides are in the middle of contract talks. That usually means a "bunker down" mentality where nobody makes public statements.

Your insistence that both sides come out public on this issue will not desuade them from concentrating on what they feel is more important, getting the DeRo situation resolved internally first. Once that happens, I would expect some sort of announcement, and not one with a whole lot of detail.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    We don't have an accurate gauge of locker room morale either way. I like your positivity assuming since no players said anything bad about DeRo or how he influences the room it can't be bad but I think this is more a glaring omission. What better time to come forward as a team mate and vouch for your captain than when his rep is in the shitter?

Sorry Pete but that shows a remarkable lack of understanding of how player/management relations work. Their silence on this matter is not indicative of whether or not they support DeRo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree Roogsy, I doubt we'll ever know the truth regarding the miscommunication that took place during the Celtic debacle. At this point, either someone in the front office or DeRo's agent will look the fool if the details are released to the public so it will most likely be swept under the rug. In any case, I don't hold DeRo personally accountable for this one. As far as I'm concerned, his only crime was the cheque signing gesture, for which he has publicly apologized.

If Winter and Mariner support DeRo as an integral part of the club moving forward then I will support DeRo as well as long as he is in TFC red...