Page 67 of 87 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2589
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I don't know about that BR. It's a clean slate with the new regime and I'm sure prospective players and their agents will judge the organization based on their actions moving forward as opposed to holding Winter and Mariner accountable for the mistakes of the past.

As for Attakora, he probably doesn't want to lock himself into a long term deal and put a ceiling on his earning potential. If he elevates his play in the next couple of years, it allows him the flexibility to negotiate a more lucrative contract as opposed to going through DeRo's experience...
    Exactly.

Maybe DeRo's agent should have a negotiated a 2 year deal instead of a 4 year deal if he felt that after 2 years DeRo would be in good position to make even more money.

That's what agents deal with. Do you sign a short term deal or a long term deal? It's a bit of a gamble. You sign a short term deal and your client falters, when he goes for a new contract he might end up making less down the road. If you sign a long term deal, you get the money, but 2-3 years down the road, players of similar stature might be making more money than you and you can't get out of your deal.

That's why some agents/teams negotiate contracts where it's 2-3 years plus an option. Either the player can evoke the option or the team.

Maybe DeRo should have hired Marcos Serioux.

Either way, there's enough blame to go around within TFC and DeRo.

I just want to know who the person from TFC that supposedly gave permission to DeRo's camp for him to go over. It sounds like this person dropped the ball if he exists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is on the trade Dero bandwagon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    I don't disagree. The only scenario where Nana is with TFC in beyond 2012 would be if the salary cap rises significantly between now and then. Otherwise we'll have to sell him in 2011. The cap in MLS is severely restricting the growth of the league, and serviceable mid-level players are almost impossible to hang on to. You have to pay 3-4 "stars" 300+ and then fill in the gaps with 40K-90K kids or journeymen, and get as much allocation as you can. That's no way to grow a league, and MLS really needs to do something about it.

Yes, this is the crux of the issue for sure.

Hey, just another reason you need a really well-run team in MLS .

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ except that only the base salary counts against the cap. Any bonuses do not.

A team with cash in the bank can get creative if they choose to.

Eg. When Sam Cronin was with TFC his base was $57k. His total compensation with guaranteed bonuses was $105k. Only $57k counted.

That's what I'd be holding out for if I were Nana. Since my contract is not guaranteed, treat me like an NFL player and give me the bonuses up front in exchange for a lower salary. I'll take the risk that you might release me. You can then work the cap to the benefit of the team and I'll still get paid.

As an aside, that's the rub in this whole DeRo argument. His base is $375k. He makes $443k with bonuses but $375k is the cap hit. All this talk about saving money on the Cap if he is a DP works out to about $40k ($375k-$335k as a DP).
    Last edited by Pookie; 01-16-2011 at 02:59 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ except that only the base salary counts against the cap. Any bonuses do not.

A team with cash in the bank can get creative if they choose to.
    there has to be some sort of weird regulations that we don't know about, or else teams would be using bonuses to get around the cap more often, no?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it certain that only base counts against the cap?

Steve Goff once wrote about this on his blog, saying that there was no easy correspondence between those Players Union reports of base salary/bonus and what was charged to the salary cap for each team.

I do remember that allocation money could only be used at the time of the signing. In other words, if a player was in his second year of his contract, you couldn't take newly acquired allocation $$$ and reduce his cap hit. That's one of the reasons Mojo kept signing new players -- he could use that "you suck" allocation to knock down the salary of new signings that was charged to the cap, which he couldn't do with previously-signed players.

we need a spy to infiltrate MLS and give us the rulebook. haha.
    Last edited by rocker; 01-16-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ assuming they have money to spend. With only 3 teams posting a net operating profit, most teams aren't able to get around the cap.

As for referencing the cap hit, do the math on total comp.

2010 TFC's base salary adds up to $2.4M (with JDG counting as $335k)

With bonuses, their payout is $2.87M

I'll try to find the link.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here are a couple of references:

"Salaries are broken into two categories. The base salary is just that, a base salary that counts toward the salary cap. The second includes all signing and guaranteed bonuses divided over the term of the contract. The second salary does not include performance bonuses"

- http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n19062003/

"From information gathered in the Players Union release, the Fire's current salary amount against the cap is $2,496,210.00. This number is reached by simply adding the base salaries of each rostered player. The Fire's total "guaranteed compensation" for 2010 is $2,890,293.00 although the base salary number is the figure used when determining the total cap dollars used."

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chic...#ixzz1BENHkVC0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for those links. I can`t find the steve goff blog, but I think what he`s getting at is you don`t know which amounts were paid for using allocation and which were not. but I think goff was still skeptical of the notion that base pay was the only thing placed against the cap. Google is not helping me find the link.

the players union wouldn't know that, which helps MLS keep agents guessing as to how much the team has to spare.
    Last edited by rocker; 01-16-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dudebroguy View Post
    From his twitter/facebook

Dwayne De Rosario
    Thanks to all the Celtic supporters, players & coaching staff for making my trip to Scotland pleasant & memorable. TFC has denied Celtic's interest for a short term loan so I will be returning. Wish the Celtic club & supporters all the best for 2011. Cheers!!!
    This makes we want to fucking puke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwayne De Rosario
    Thanks to all the Celtic supporters, players & coaching staff for making my trip to Scotland pleasant & memorable. TFC has denied Celtic's interest for a short term loan so I will be returning. Wish the Celtic club & supporters all the best for 2011. Cheers!!!

Dwayne, you are an idiot. That is pretty clear. Ever heard the expression don't bite the hand that feeds you ? What are you thanking the Celtic supporters for you tool ? Why post a message like this when your ass is on the way back to the club, what purpose does it serve...who are the idiots advising the idiot ? As i refuse to believe one human being can be so stupid.
    Last edited by wzhxvy; 01-16-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    Dwayne De Rosario

Dwayne, you are an idiot. That is pretty clear. Ever heard the expression don't bite the mouth that feeds you ? What are you thanking the Celtic supporters for you tool ? Why post a message like this when your ass is on the way back to the club, what purpose does it serve...who are the idiots advising the idiot ? As i refuse to believe one human being can be so stupid.
    An idiot and a classless, selfish prick.
    Get rid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Gawd can't wait too boo his sorry ass off the field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    An idiot and a classless, selfish prick.
    Get rid.
    Id tend to agree on a few points.......showing himself to be a classless selfish beotch to be honest. I actually dont want him anywhere near next seasons roster now...away and sign for Kilmarnock you using piece of shit. Shed Rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star players seem to have a classy way of leaving teams and signing for others but you DWaaaayne have excelled in my worst belief, you are a money hungry, publicity hungry, self adoring massive ego. You are not fit to even talk to your average TFC fan. To face facts.......Celtic think u are not good enough, which by proxy means all SPL teams think you are a waste of money, that stings doesnt it ?, why dont you go on trial with Colchester they might offer you a job.......I hope you come "home" to Toronto and tell everyone you didnt mean what u said about Scarborough and then TFC trade u for a bag of jockstraps cause u have provided that much inspiration this off season. The term MERO will live long after DeRo trust me on this one. You selfish piece of shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope he is nowhere near next seasons squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cue Roogsy response in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tfc should fire his ass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bet JK wants to fire his ass.......bet JK has a much better team orientated Captain lined up

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is good TFC is good for me....,wow we have so many owners here......interesting how most of the last neg responders I guess have no faith in the new mgmt to sort things out...I have complete faith in the new team to build TFC accordingly....DeRo is just a part of the team, it is up to them how it all works out...and...thank god..for that, no more kneejerk respones as basically sounded off here for almost 2000 posts......
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to be # 2000.....the prize please
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    what is good TFC is good for me....,wow we have so many owners here......interesting how most of the last neg responders I guess have no faith in the new mgmt to sort things out...I have complete faith in the new team to build TFC accordingly....DeRo is just a part of the team, it is up to them how it all works out...and...thank god..for that, no more kneejerk respones as basically sounded off here for almost 2000 posts......
    For the most part, very true. However I feel that a large share of supporters have faith in the new management team AND want DeRo's a$$ shipped out of town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    For the most part, very true. However I feel that a large share of supporters have faith in the new management team AND want DeRo's a$$ shipped out of town.
    The new manager says he wants him back as, "Captain and leader." do we give him a chance to make it work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will give the manager the chance to do what he wants but it does not mean I will be happy or be pleased by Dero's stupidity, selfishness and antics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If That F*%%CK heads jersey goes up on the wall I'll piss on it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Exactly.

Maybe DeRo's agent should have a negotiated a 2 year deal instead of a 4 year deal if he felt that after 2 years DeRo would be in good position to make even more money.
    This is what I said weeks ago! If he thought he was going to be able to cash in after a season or two, he should have negotiated a two year deal with the team, not "four years plus a promise".

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    The new manager says he wants him back as, "Captain and leader." do we give him a chance to make it work?
    As long as he won't upset the apple cart with the rest of the roster, I'm fine with it. At the end of the day, even with his various faults, DeRo is still likely this team's best player. If he's willing to shut up and play, and put this drama behind him, I certainly can.

I'm just more concerned with whether he has poisoned the waters with his teammates.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    Cue Roogsy response in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..
    he's got a reputation now... can't let us down!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    Dwayne De Rosario
    As a TFC supporter, I truly feel loved by DeRo in this statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its getting harder and harder for management to do anything but off load him at this point.