Hybrid View

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I said a few pages ago that understanding the MLS salary cap is like trying to understand women. Just when you think you have it all figured out...

I do think that they could add bonuses without impacting the cap hit as it appears that the cap is only applied to the base salary.

That said, the quote was pretty specific; "... De Rosario has accepted that his contract will not be renegotiated from its current value..."

I see this as a closed door now to the prospect of renegotiation and DeRo getting Designated Player status.

This whole thing could be a closed door if De Rosario has accepted this whole offseason without any hurt pride on his part. That's the tougher question and why I think there is still a bit of an open door to the possibility of a trade.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I see this as a closed door now to the prospect of renegotiation and DeRo getting Designated Player status.

This whole thing could be a closed door if De Rosario has accepted this whole offseason without any hurt pride on his part. That's the tougher question and why I think there is still a bit of an open door to the possibility of a trade.
    ^ agreed.

I think that DeRo not getting an offer for a permanent transfer for Celtic ("training" or loan deals hardly count) shows him exactly where in the international pecking order he is: a big fish in a small pond. In MLS, he's one of the best "local talents" (and paid like it), but world-wide, players like him are easy to come by. He doesn't even have the draw JDG had (until he was blacklisted), so he can't demand JDG-type wages.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-26-2011 at 08:15 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I said a few pages ago that understanding the MLS salary cap is like trying to understand women. Just when you think you have it all figured out...

I do think that they could add bonuses without impacting the cap hit as it appears that the cap is only applied to the base salary.

That said, the quote was pretty specific; "... De Rosario has accepted that his contract will not be renegotiated from its current value..."

I believe you're correct here. Craplumbus is currently trying to add a Non-cap-hit-bonus of some sort to entice Cunty into signing there.

PS - I love the straightforward quote regarding the contract. Something we desperately need at this club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    I believe you're correct here. Craplumbus is currently trying to add a Non-cap-hit-bonus of some sort to entice Cunty into signing there.

PS - I love the straightforward quote regarding the contract. Something we desperately need at this club.

It's big, you're right. It is very good to hear that. Maybe they needed to go through all this, the whole Celtic thing to get to this point, who knows.

But now it looks like the team is being properly run and moving forward.