Page 32 of 87 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    already proven this in the past by signing a 4 year contract that he wasn't happy with
    He said soon after it was signed that he firmly believed he could prove himself in the first year and have it ripped up and renegotiated for higher. Having that kind of faith when dealing with corporations is kinda foolish.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Anything is possible.

This is a plausible scenario as it relates to dealings between MLS and Celtic on this. Could it be there was a confirmatory phone call between the two, paper to follow?....maybe.

This is far fetched as it relates to dealings between Dero (or his agent) and Celtic.
    Well, the paper is following now between MLS and Celtic. I think that the suggestion that a "deal was done and that official paperwork would follow" came from the agent.

It seems silly to continue to focus on this though. Where do we go from here?

MLS could cancel his contract but won't. TFC wants him sold.

We can only hope that Celtic wants him as I can't see how in the heck he returns to a warm welcome.

They could try put a nice "misunderstanding/happy to be back" bow on it for public consumption but most of the public believes that DeRo is selfish and TFC FO are out of touch with their captain and (historically) best player.

That can't be good for anyone.

On top of it, we'll need to produce some goal scoring talent (or at least a team system) between now and March.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am out! Somebody tweet me with new news...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    so i guess tfc decided not to wait until everything was in place for a grand unveiling, need the info leaked now.
    Um, no.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Um, no.
    i don't know why, but this made me laugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Well, the paper is following now between MLS and Celtic. I think that the suggestion that a "deal was done and that official paperwork would follow" came from the agent.

It seems silly to continue to focus on this though. Where do we go from here?

MLS could cancel his contract but won't. TFC wants him sold.

We can only hope that Celtic wants him as I can't see how in the heck he returns to a warm welcome.

They could try put a nice "misunderstanding/happy to be back" bow on it for public consumption but most of the public believes that DeRo is selfish and TFC FO are out of touch with their captain and (historically) best player.

That can't be good for anyone.

On top of it, we'll need to produce some goal scoring talent (or at least a team system) between now and March.
    They played the "misunderstanding" card after the cheque signing incident. The team apology and so and so. Blah, blah.

I pray that whomever is chosen to run this club will put their stamp on it immediately. That stamp will take the form of DeRo being shown shown the door through transfer or release.

We need to get back to focusing on the club and what it means to play for the crest, rather than worrying about a selfish d**k and ten other guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Sorry Jeremy, that's a cop-out. You can't simply chalk up a player riding the pine for 4 years to simple foolishness. There is a reason he was riding the pine. What you're basically doing here is using his one exceptional year to write off 4 disappointing ones.
    Except it's not. He changed teams, remember? His old coach, Dominic Kinnear, didn't think he had it and benched him. The guy who actually wanted him at Houston in the first place, Yallop, signs him, starts him.

That, logically, suggests a difference in coaching perspective, not necessarily in the quality of the player. Lots of strikers get overlooked when they're younger. Hell, Kevin Phillips wasn't even signed by a pro club, had to come up through the county leagues, and even then had to be converted from fullback to striker, because countless coaches didn't recognize his level of ability.

People have this myth that if a guy's good enough, everyone knows it, and it's just not the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't it about time for another Dero stay/go poll?

Would be interesting to see if more than one person wants him to stay at this point.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A poll would accomplish nothing. It's obvious that opinion is divided with few on the fence.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Leadership

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    They played the "misunderstanding" card after the cheque signing incident. The team apology and so and so. Blah, blah.

I pray that whomever is chosen to run this club will put their stamp on it immediately. That stamp will take the form of DeRo being shown shown the door through transfer or release.

We need to get back to focusing on the club and what it means to play for the crest, rather than worrying about a selfish d**k and ten other guys.
    I hope that they hire a strong leader who can build a winning organization. I won't judge that leader based on how they chose to handle Dero's situation. If they have to get rid of Dero then ok. But great leaders/managers/coaches can get reform selfish players and get them conform to the team's philosophy.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I stated back in the spring that DeRo didn't have captain qualities and IMO this just proves my point.

There shouldn't be any drama involving your captain. Your captain is your rock, your leader.

This ain't no captain.

Regardless of how shit the club is run.

Agree he is our best player (goals, goals, goals) last year, but Captain quality I question, especially after the check signing incident.
    And now this ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    Isn't it about time for another Dero stay/go poll?

Would be interesting to see if more than one person wants him to stay at this point.

Well, count me in for the Dero to stay poll option. Personally, if I knew that Dero wasn't going to be here by the start of next season I swear to you I don't renew my season tickets. I have absolutely no confidence that TFC is going to sign anything other then deadbeat strikers and midfielders to try and replace Dero. They will not find another Dero again, atleast not for this year. I shoudn't even say again, because it was Dero that found TFC, TFC never found Dero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would take him back also. dero is a quality player for tfc, i too have no faith that they would find a suitable replacement. he would not be captain though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As some random poster on SBI pointed out, there are heavy fines from FIFA and UEFA for flouting such rules. I don't think Celtic would be caught with their pants down or would be chancing it just to bring in Dero.

TFC front office rendered clueless as usual.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    simple fact:

Dero's reputation is bad, MLSE's reputation is worse.

that's why this is such a touchy issue, and it's hard to strongly backup one of the other.
    Comeon Man... what a comparison... let's stick with comparing people vs people and corporations vs corporations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't usually do this, but I wrote my take on this whole thing on Canadian Soccer News: It's time for DeRo to go

Comments welcome (I'd be more likely to read/respond within the comments section over there).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how your byline is a single name.

You're like Cher or Prince.

By the way you misspelled "Wondolowski". Just FYI.

But I liked the article.

It has been a disappointment to me too. I have feelings very similar to yours. This could have been something special. The "what could have beens" are what make me the most sad.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 12-29-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Well, count me in for the Dero to stay poll option. Personally, if I knew that Dero wasn't going to be here by the start of next season I swear to you I don't renew my season tickets. I have absolutely no confidence that TFC is going to sign anything other then deadbeat strikers and midfielders to try and replace Dero. They will not find another Dero again, atleast not for this year. I shoudn't even say again, because it was Dero that found TFC, TFC never found Dero.
    I can honestly say that:

1. I become a season ticket holder without the promise of any player and renewed year after year without such promises.

2. I was much happier without the drama that DeRo has created in his stay here... from the Wheeler interview, to the cheque writting celebration, to this.

I have more pride and dignity for myself and this club than to sell out to a selffish player who doesn't give two shits about his team... in fact if DeRo does return after this bullshit I may indeed reconsider and sell my tickets... I can't fathom cheering for this man (with low values and morals) who stands for all the things that I do not want my children to be...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    I don't usually do this, but I wrote my take on this whole thing on Canadian Soccer News: It's time for DeRo to go

Comments welcome (I'd be more likely to read/respond within the comments section over there).
    Thanks for that, it's a good read, especially the reminder that there really were good times with DeRo and TFC. It's still possible this mess can get worked out for everyone involved.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are some serious accusations Flush. Low morals? Tiger Woods has low morals. DeRo has low morals?

And I find it ironic that we've all dedicated ourselves to cheering for this team and therefore the organization behind the team that I personally would consider more suitable to the tags of having "low value and morals" but a player who watches out for himself is worse?

Seems hypocritical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how your byline is a single name.

You're like Cher or Prince.
    LOL it's because CSN and the Voyageurs have a shared user database, and my login at the V's has been simply my first name since 1997.

On my little section of the site (Euro File) my full name and bio are there. I just posted this piece in the 24th Minute as it's TFC-related.

By the way you misspelled "Wondolowski". Just FYI.
    Ack, nice catch. Fixed now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are some serious accusations Flush. Low morals? Tiger Woods has low morals. DeRo has low morals?

And I find it ironic that we've all dedicated ourselves to cheering for this team and therefore the organization behind the team that I personally would consider more suitable to the tags of having "low value and morals" but a player who watches out for himself is worse?

Seems hypocritical.
    I don't follow golf and I don't like Tiger Woods...

Now, a player is part of a team in this game... God knows how people in that locker room feel about DeRo's aquisations that he is under paid compared to his peers... For kicks... tomorrow I'm going to ask my peers how much they make a put a stink about it because I think I do more, know more and should get paid more than them. Watching out for yourself is one thing... but the route you take towards it is another. <- and that is not hypocritical.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I am not buying it. You and I have BOTH made career changes behind the backs of our employers. Interviewed while still employed elsewhere. You have a problem with a player trialing with another team because he's betrayed the badge? I hate to ruin your romanticized version of sports teams but these days, there is no loyalty, there is no honour. Not from teams, not from players. Not from Jack Warner at CONCACAF not from Sepp Blatter at FIFA. Everyone is watching out for #1.

The irony in all this? There is a thread on this board asking who should be the next captain. The hilarious part is that I am aware that several on that list that are touted to be "captains" also have agents that are actively trying to get them trials, loans or transfers to other teams.

Welcome to reality. It's a bitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My problem is not with Dero doing this. It's with the in-season stuff. That was terrible, and tainted my view of him forever.

You mark my words, he will regret doing the Wheeler interview and the cheque signing thing for most of the rest of his life.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I am not buying it. You and I have BOTH made career changes behind the backs of our employers. Interviewed while still employed elsewhere. You have a problem with a player trialing with another team because he's betrayed the badge? I hate to ruin your romanticized version of sports teams but these days, there is no loyalty, there is no honour. Not from teams, not from players. Not from Jack Warner at CONCACAF not from Sepp Blatter at FIFA. Everyone is watching out for #1.
    Actually incorrect, I never solicited a career move they came knocking on me (but please keep privacy and confidentiality in the pitcure here).

I am going to say once again: It is good to look out for yourself/ That is one thing... but the route you take towards it is another.

You can tell me all you want about how sports is nowadays, that there is no loyalty or honour anymore... but you know what... I am still going to teach my children that... and that is to me what counts. Best of Luck to Dero FC.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never said "solicited" or looking for work elsewhere and that isn't really the issue anyways. Trialing elsewhere can be seen to be the equivalent of interviewing at one corporation while still employed at another. And we all do it.

I fail to understand why players are bound by some sense of loyalty to clubs when the clubs fail to show the same loyalty to their players. If a player wants to trial elsewhere so be it. The only thing that I agree with most posters here is that they fulfill their contractual obligations in doing so.

But once they do...I don't see how they in any way "betray" their club or the supporters of their club. And certainly there are better examples in sports of athletes with low morals and values than DeRo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never said "solicited" or looking for work elsewhere and that isn't really the issue anyways. Trialing elsewhere can be seen to be the equivalent of interviewing at one corporation while still employed at another. And we all do it.

I fail to understand why players are bound by some sense of loyalty to clubs when the clubs fail to show the same loyalty to their players. If a player wants to trial elsewhere so be it. The only thing that I agree with most posters here is that they fulfill their contractual obligations in doing so.

But once they do...I don't see how they in any way "betray" their club or the supporters of their club. And certainly there are better examples in sports of athletes with low morals and values than DeRo.

agree with this ... all I ask of a player is to fulfill their contract and when/if they want to move do it within the rules/process set out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by ensco; 12-29-2010 at 11:24 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't renew, because of MLSE. This whole scenario I believe vindicates my decision (at least to me it does). No way Celtic would allow Dero to come on trial without TFC permission, so I believe that Celtic is a professional club that behaves as such, and as a result I believe Dero came with permission.

TFC on the other hand, is lying right to the face of all their fans, in another attempt to make players look like the bad guys, although I think this whole scenarion will blow up right in their face.

As for Dero "betraying" TFC fans, the city, etc. Hogwash! I am all for a good career move and anyone with a similar opportunity would do the same, simple as that. I wish him nothing but the best in his attempt, and if it doesn't pan out, will be happy to see him training with the team in Turkey.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by superstar1976; 12-29-2010 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superstar1976 View Post
    I didn't renew, because of MLSE. This whole scenario I believe vindicates my decision (at least to me it does). No way Celtic would allow Dero to come on trial without TFC permission, so I believe that Celtic is a professional club that behaves as such, and as a result I believe Dero came with permission.

TFC on the other hand, is lying right to the face of all their fans, in another attempt to make players look like the bad guys, although I think this whole scenarion will blow up right in their face.

As for Dero "betraying" TFC fans, the city, etc. Hogwash! I am all for a good career move and anyone with a similar opportunity would do the same, simple as that. I wish him nothing but the best in his attempt, and if it doesn't pan out, will be happy to see him training with the team in Turkey.

My 2 cents.
    If TFC is lying about this, then why did Celtic stop DeRo from training with them today, and why did the league themselves say that there was no agreement in place to allow DeRo to train outside of TFC's auspices?