Hybrid View

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    The Houston organization holds DeRo in great regard. In fact, there are pockets in Houston that would tell you they still want DeRo back. In Houston and in it's predecessor city San Jose he was part of 4 cups. Very often, in all sports and leagues, teams will do their star player who has put in his time, a "solid" by facilitating a trade to a home club that would not have the same monetary value than a trade elsewhere. They do this because they felt they had a suitable substitute in Holden and because DeRo would not have accepted a trade elsewhere, reducing the ability of the team to negotiate for a better deal.

James at the time WAS a highly rated prospect, he was young and cheap and DeRo did max out the cap at the time in the salary cap with Houston. It's not like this deal did not make financial sense for them. But be assured that it was a deal only available to Toronto as Houston would not have made this deal with anyone else.

Do not take the terms of this trade as some sort of indication of DeRo's reduced value. That is a narrow view of the trade that does not take into consideration the context. It's a similar mistake to those who point to no European experience as somehow being equivalent to reduced value. Obviously that is not the case since if he had reduced value, TFC would not have picked up his option at all.
    I dispute the bolded part.

Teams will do a favour and trade a star player to his hometown if possible but by the same token they're not going to give away said player for free.

I mean they could have done a 3 team deal to get more.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I dispute the bolded part.

Teams will do a favour and trade a star player to his hometown if possible but by the same token they're not going to give away said player for free.

I mean they could have done a 3 team deal to get more.
    They didn't give him away for free. They received allocation money, freed up a ton of capspace and thought they were getting a highly rated prospect. That is actually a fairly high price for a player in MLS. That the prospect turned out to be a bust should not reflect on their view of the deal at that time. There are many people in Houston who would go back on this deal in a heartbeat even though Houston got a nice chunk of change. What you are doing is attempting to rewrite history.

And how many "3 team deals" have you seen in MLS? This isn't the NBA Vic.