Hybrid View

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Or outright released. He is in an option year, all they had to do was not pick up the option and low and behold we have all that capspace available. They didn't do that. So TFC is telling us is that they believe he is worth at least that much in capspace, so it is not a stretch then to think that given they are willing to use up that much capspace on him now, they may look at an option that reduces his cap impact as well.
    Or, think they can get something out of DeRo trade from some other team, instead of getting nothing by just releasing him.

Then again, weird trades happen in this league all the time, like, star players get traded for peanuts, just to reduce cap space
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Then again, weird trades happen in this league all the time, like, star players get traded for peanuts, just to reduce cap space
    I was just thinking the same thing. "Trade value" of players can be pretty wacky in Major League Soccer. Good players seem to get traded for peanuts, released, or simply not offered new contracts all the time. Look at some of the players that have fallen into TFC's lap for seemingly nothing - some small amount of allocation, late draft picks (worthless in this league), no name players, or for simply nothing.

Conventional wisdom would dictate that DeRo has pretty good trade value, but MLS roster moves seem to violate the rules of conventional wisdom for pro sports all the time. The tight salary cap seems to drive teams to madness.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Conventional wisdom would dictate that DeRo has pretty good trade value, but MLS roster moves seem to violate the rules of conventional wisdom for pro sports all the time. The tight salary cap seems to drive teams to madness.

- Scott
    Agreed.

If DeRo got himself out of a contract "negotiation" in which he desired more money and was traded to Toronto for James and allocation money, what makes us think that an older DeRo who is in another contract "negotiation" in which he desires more money, is going to have a trade value HIGHER than James + allocation money?