Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're upset because he did it without consent of the club. We're upset because this has further tarnished the club's reputation. We're upset because a guy getting paid $400k plus a year is once again putting himself before OUR team.

Why would the club open negotiations with him before a GM and coach are in place? That would be more incompetent than anything we've seen over the last few days.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    Why would the club open negotiations with him before a GM and coach are in place? That would be more incompetent than anything we've seen over the last few days.
    why would the club release all but 15 of our players and sign nathan sturgis?

why indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    why would the club release all but 15 of our players and sign nathan sturgis?

why indeed.
    Nobody in their right mind would want most of the players we released. They weren't important. Tying someone to a long term contract and using a DP slot IS important and affects how this club will go forward for years.

I will give you the Sturgis one as being something that was above Earl's position in my opinion
    Last edited by Wull; 12-29-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody in their right mind would want most of the players we released. They weren't important. Tying someone to a long term contract and using a DP slot IS important and affects how this club will go forward for years

That's not the point. You are excusing behaviour here. Either Earl can or cannot make fundamental roster decisions. If he can, then by all means proceed with the cleaning out and the bringing on of new players. If he can't, then he should not have done the moves he made. There are many of us that held this position from the very start of Earl's moves. Defining his role is crucial and yet TFC have refused to do so to fans. So if Earl can fire players, if Earl can bring on new players then Earl can certainly respond to renegotiation requests...he certainly should not be ignoring them. Even if the answer is "no"...an answer needs to be given. Would you not agree?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    That's not the point. You are excusing behaviour here. Either Earl can or cannot make fundamental roster decisions. If he can, then by all means proceed with the cleaning out and the bringing on of new players. If he can't, then he should not have done the moves he made. There are many of us that held this position from the very start of Earl's moves. Defining his role is crucial and yet TFC have refused to do so to fans. So if Earl can fire players, if Earl can bring on new players, Earl can respond to renegotiation requests...he certainly should not be ignoring them. Even if the answer is "no"...an answer needs to be given. Would you not agree?
    I'm not excusing behaviour Roogsy, they should have turned around and told whoever requested negotiations that they wouldn't be doing so until the new management team was in place. Earl shouldn't have been allowed to piss away a first round draft choice on Sturgis. That's a different thread topic that I've already commented on.

This is about a player going on trial with a team without getting the proper paperwork that the club had said they would provide if requested. If it takes them a while to get that in place then that sucks but you can't just go anyway.

Maybe I've been spoiled by having the likes of Phil Neville, Dave Watson, Jimmy Sandison etc. as leaders for my teams but I expect a captain to keep their grievances in-house, especially when it's only them that is having a particular issue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody in their right mind would want most of the players we released. They weren't important. Tying someone to a long term contract and using a DP slot IS important and affects how this club will go forward for years
    we released one of our DP's already without a GM or coach in place, are you condoning that? my point is, you can't justify releasing half of the team, releasing a DP, and then turn around and go "sorry, dero. with all of the movement so far we can't talk to you right now. oh, hey nathan sturgis! want a contract?"

what you're saying is..
    releasing a bunch of our players: good, because no one wanted them
    re-negotiating a current player (our captain/leading scorer): incompetent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we released one of our DP's already without a GM or coach in place, are you condoning that? my point is, you can't justify releasing half of the team, releasing a DP, and then turn around and go "sorry, dero. with all of the movement so far we can't talk to you right now. oh, hey nathan sturgis! want a contract?"

what you're saying is..
    releasing a bunch of our players: good, because no one wanted them
    re-negotiating a current player (our captain/leading scorer): incompetent
    Creating cap space: good
    using cap space: bad

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a simplistic way of looking at things and it completely ignores whether Earl has the authority to do anything at all with the cap space. Adding Sturgis USES cap space, regardless if it isn't DP level cap space. So either he can or he cannot determine TFC's cap space usage. Which is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a simplistic way of looking at things and it completely ignores whether Earl has the authority to do anything at all with the cap space. Adding Sturgis USES cap space, regardless if it isn't DP level cap space. So either he can or he cannot determine TFC's cap space usage. Which is it?
    He can but he shouldn't be adding to it. I've already said that in this thread a few times and also when Sturgis was brought in.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP's count against cap space..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP's count against cap space..
    Duh, what's your point exactly?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're upset because he did it without consent of the club.
    We're upset because this has further tarnished the club's reputation.
    We're upset because a guy getting paid $400k plus a year is once again putting himself before OUR team.
    I'm upset that the guy who scored 15 of our 33 goals in MLS matches isn't going to be as easy to replace as some people seem to think. And for $400,000? That's another hurdle.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    I'm upset that the guy who scored 15 of our 33 goals in MLS matches isn't going to be as easy to replace as some people seem to think. And for $400,000? That's another hurdle.
    Can't look at it that way anymore Parkdale, he wasn't going to come back for $400k, so a better and perhaps more accurate comparison is can we get someone do to this for DP money as DeRo was asking for?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Menelaos View Post
    Can't look at it that way anymore Parkdale, he wasn't going to come back for $400k, so a better and perhaps more accurate comparison is can we get someone do to this for DP money as DeRo was asking for?

DeRo asking for DP money would have meant a reduction in the cap hit. So you could look at it both ways. What could we have gotten for a max cap hit of 330k? And then what could we have gotten for probably less than 1mill with a cap hit of 330k?

The answer to both eludes me. I don't know of any consistent double-digit goal scorer in MLS that is earning either 330k or 1mill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo asking for DP money would have meant a reduction in the cap hit. So you could look at it both ways. What could we have gotten for a max cap hit of 330k? And then what could we have gotten for probably less than 1mill with a cap hit of 330k?

The answer to both eludes me. I don't know of any consistent double-digit goal scorer in MLS that is earning either 330k or 1mill.
    This was my position until yesterday as long as the captain's armband was also removed

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point, had not considered that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conor Casey.

13 goals in 2010 and a cost of $350K

but yeah, they are pretty damn rare.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conor Casey.

13 goals in 2010 and a cost of $350K

but yeah, they are pretty damn rare.

oh, and Jeff Cunningham had 11 goals for Dallas in 2010 at a cost of $230K

(but it's cunny, so fuck him!)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, and Jeff Cunningham had 11 goals for Dallas in 2010 at a cost of $230K

(but it's cunny, so fuck him!)

Are you trying to hurt us Mike?

Cunny and Casey...two former TFC players. OUCH! LOL!

Is it irony? Coincidence?

Funny enough, in one my many arguments with fellow soccer fans at Shoeless Joe's one night, someone mentioned how Cunny wouldn't cost us the same as DeRo so we all agreed that we should bring him back.

We must have been drunk that night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never said he was easily replaced. You can go back and check all the threads about it. I've always voted to keep him and raise his salary. His actions have now made it impossible for this to happen