Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
No, Anselmi stuck his nose in it, going public and saying they'd be willing to "talk" to DeRo but then not actually doing it. Mo has been an easy scapegoat for MLSE but there's no way they actually gave him any real control (and if they did, whoever was responsible for that decision should be fired, there's no way to justify a guy with so little experience in a position of control, he was never more than a pawn).

It's more complicated because the contract everyone is talking about was structured with option years on top of guaranteed years and that's usually done as a chance to renegotiate - happens all the time. MLSE probably felt as he was getting older DeRo's production would fall off so they could renegotiate down. Didn't work out that way.

I still don't understand why they didn't just let him go on the trial - it would have worked out in TFC's favour when Celtic didn't offer to sign him. Let's hope that was the last mistake of the old regime.

The current regime really should take control of this - and perhaps they have with Winter's statement that DeRo is going to be the, "captain and leader," but we won't really know until things start to go wrong - if the team gets off to a slow start ot ha a mid-season slump or if Winter and Mariner start disagreeing about things.

This.

I should add that I have more confidence that this issue will be sorted out than I did before. Winter and Mariner seem to want to sort things out and all DeRo can ask is that they be willing to do so. What their final agreement will look like I don't know but for now, I don't think DeRo is leaving like I thought might be the case at the end of December.